Guard Cancel: AmedoS310
Guard Cancel is an interview series profiling KOF community members. The goal is to get to know the people behind the tags. Guard Cancel will be published every Monday. If you’d like to be featured, email email@example.com
1. How long have you played KOF? Which KOF was your first? Which is your favorite?
I started playing KOF casually around 2005. My first KOF was the 2000/2001 dual pack for PS2. Later, I got back into KOF with a serious approach when 2002 Unlimited Match was released in 2009. My favorite KOF games are 98um, 2002um, XI, and XIII.
2. Why KOF over all of the other fighters?
KOF brings many things to table on top of what other fighters have already brought. Also, I like the wide range of playstyles in the series.
3. Are you a tournament player? If so, list your tournament rankings.
I’m not a tournament player. The only tournament I ever played involving KOF was the KOF XIII Otakon tournament. When the console version comes out and more people start picking the game up, I might play in more tournaments.
4. Do you have a local scene or do you rely on online play?
Well there’s a local scene for fighting games at Xanadu Games. At the moment, the only games that are played there are AE and MVC3 but I hope to change that when KOF XIII comes to console. Beside that, I do play KOF with a few friends around the Baltimore area.
5. Do you prefer pad or stick? Why is that your preference?
I prefer stick because I’m able to do moves correctly. Recently, I’ve tried to play 2K2um on pad and it felt unnatural to me.
6. What advice do you have for new players?
Don’t get attached to just one move. I hate it when people start yearning for past version of certain characters jus because they had something like a rekka. Also, try to learn every move in the game since it will be helpful to know which move does what. Most Importantly, have fun and be prepare to spend a lot of time with the game.
7. How do you choose a character and team? How do you choose the order?
Since I’m not a tournament player, I usually like to randomize my team.
8. Which type of character do you prefer?
I would learn any character in a KOF game just to be knowledgeable to the people in my area, but the typical rush down types are my favorite.
9. From a purely gameplay perspective, who is you favorite character?
10. How often do you practice or train in KOF alone?
I practice about 2-3 hours daily at home and if i have the time, I’ll practice for 6-7 hours at Xanadu Games.
11. How do you gain new techniques, strategies, setups and combos? Do you watch match videos?
For combos, i would watch a few match videos. For the techniques, strategies, and setups, I’ll use all the features in training mode and test everything a character can offer.
12. Have you played KOFXIII yet? Did you like? Will you buy it?
Yes, I have played KOF XIII when I went to Southtown Arcades, back in June 2011 while visiting my girlfriend. I think I dropped over 100 dollars and spend a total of 24 hours at the cabinet. Also, I’ve played the console version at Otakon. As for liking the game, I love it very much and I’m pleased how it turned out so far. I’ve preorder an PS3 copy when Atlus first announced the game for USA and I have a preoder copy for the 360 version at gamestop.
13. Will you continue to play older KOF games while playing KOFXIII?
I’m not really sure since I want to put all my time on KOF XIII. If I ever play an older KOF game after XIII comes out, that game would likely be 2K2um.