Guard Cancel: Ash2k4
Guard Cancel is an interview series profiling KOF community members. The goal is to get to know the people behind the tags. Guard Cancel will be published every Monday. If you’d like to be featured, email firstname.lastname@example.org or PM me in the forum.
1. How long have you played KOF? Which KOF was your first? Which is your favorite?
I have been playing KOf for 10 years now. My first KOF was 99 and honestly, if it wasn’t for my brother, I would have never found out about kof then I heard a local arcade called Diversions had it and started playing a lot. My favorite KOF would have to be 2002 due to the competion and I just love how it’s played and looks.
2. Why KOF over all of the other fighters?
Well, I was my very first true fighter that I took serious and plus I love the fact that its a very technical based game rather than just mashing.
3. Are you a tournament player? If so, list your tournament rankings.
No, i use to play with alot of friends
4. Do you have a local scene or do you rely on online play?
My local scene right now is dead. I hope to bring it back with KOF 13 coming out but, back in the day, we did have a good variety of people.
5. Do you prefer pad or stick? Why is that your preference?
I use to bed a pad warrior but I play stick and pad now. I prefer stick because once you go stick you can’t just go back.
6. What advice do you have for new players?
Practice a lot and play with people other than bots. Look for a character that represents you and you should be on your way. And learn to lose, because you’re going to lose a lot.
7. How do you choose a character and team? How do you choose the order?
Most of the time, I put Iori, then Orochi Yashiro and Kim last due to the fact that he has a very good comeback factor, like iori.
8. Which type of character do you prefer?
I love rushdown characters because I love to be in your face and mix it in with some turtling as well.
9. From a purely gameplay perspective, who is you favorite character?
I would have to go with Iori. I like it because with Iori you have to constantly be in their face which is my type of style.
10. How often do you practice or train in KOF alone?
I don’t play KOF as much as I used to in the past but, when I do, I play for 3 hours.
11. How do you gain new techniques, strategies, setups and combos? Do you watch match videos?
In training mode, I try to look for new setups and test them to see if they would be good in practical play.
12. Have you played KOFXIII yet? Did you like? Will you buy it?
Oh yes, I have and I love it. We just don’t have many people playing it here. When the console version comes out, I want the scene to blow up and create a scene down here.
13. Will you continue to play older KOF games while playing KOFXIII?
If I have people to play with, it sure because playing the CPU sure does not help.