Guard Cancel: MetalThrashingMadman
Guard Cancel is an interview series profiling KOF community members. The goal is to get to know the people behind the tags. Guard Cancel will be published every Monday. If you’d like to be featured, email firstname.lastname@example.org
1. How long have you played KOF? Which KOF was your first? Which is your favorite?
I got into KOF sometime back in ’03/’04 while I was in college. The school had an unmarked arcade cabinet with MOTW in it. But because I was unfamiliar with that game I didn’t know the title, and there were always people playing so I never saw the tiltle screen. I tried to solve this problem by downloading an emulator and just grabbing every SNK game I could find. When I came across KOF, I think I tried 2002 first, I fell in love with it instantly.
2. Why KOF over all of the other fighters?
KOF lets me play the way I want to. There are so many kinds of characters that it’s not hard to find ones to like. And then there is the maneuverability which enables me to fight more aggressively than many other fighters. I like getting in my opponent’s face, not standing on the other side of the screen tossing fireballs.
3. Are you a tournament player? If so, list your tournament rankings.
I’m trying to be. Before coming to this site I couldn’t get anyone to play KOF with me. My friends simply were not interested in giving it a fair shake. But since joining Dreamcancel about 3 months ago I have gone to Evo, started training with Dark Geese, and now I’m even organizing my first online tournament. It will take place shortly after console release of KOFXIII. I urge everyone to go to the Upcoming Tournaments & Events forum and sign up!
4. Do you have a local scene or do you rely on online play?
Unfortunately, there is no KOF scene that I know of where I live. For now I’ll have to settle for online and an occasional session with Dark Geese. If there is anyone in the Dallas area that wants to join us please send me a pm.
5. Do you prefer pad or stick? Why is that your preference?
Pad. But I am working on getting better with a stick.
6. What advice do you have for new players?
Stand still and let me hit you!
Speaking seriously, I can’t think of anything that others haven’t already said. Just make sure that whatever you do that you are having fun.
7. How do you choose a character and team? How do you choose the order?
Any given team I play usually starts out with Terry, Blue Mary, and whatever third character I feel like at the moment. I generally put Mary second and Terry last.
8. Which type of character do you prefer?
I like just about every type of character except for maybe zoning characters. But even then there are zoning characters I’ll play on occasion.
9. From a purely gameplay perspective, who is you favorite character?
Terry Bogard. Ever since I threw my first burn knuckle he has been my favorite.
10. How often do you practice or train in KOF alone?
Not often enough. I need to kick my ass into high gear.
11. How do you gain new techniques, strategies, setups and combos? Do you watch match videos?
I do watch a ton of videos and I read faqs as well. What I really like to do is to try to figure out combos on my own.
12. Have you played KOFXIII yet? Did you like? Will you buy it?
My time with it has been short, but I have already decided it’s my favorite KOF. I’m buying 2 copies. One for me and another for a friend that I’m still trying to convert to KOFism.
13. Will you continue to play older KOF games while playing KOFXIII?
Other titles will certainly take a back seat, but I’ll never stop playing them.