Guard Cancel: GuamoKun
Guard Cancel is an interview series profiling KOF community members. The goal is to get to know the people behind the tags. Guard Cancel will be published every Monday. If you’d like to be featured, email firstname.lastname@example.org or PM me in the forum.
1. How long have you played KOF? Which KOF was your first? Which is your favorite?
I’ve been playing KoF for about 14 years. Luckily for me, my aunt owned an arcade cabinet with hundreds of games. However, this is in Mexico and I only visit the place once a year. The first I ever played was KoF 97. I first bought my own KoF in 2001, it was KoF 99 for the PlayStation. My favorites teeter between 2000, and 2002um.
2. Why KOF over all of the other fighters?
I really like the system. But more than anything, the music and characters.
3. Are you a tournament player? If so, list your tournament rankings.
I am not a tournament player, yet. I do go to some MK tourneys but that’s about it. XIII will change that.
4. Do you have a local scene or do you rely on online play?
Luckily for me, I live in SoCal and the scene here is pretty strong. I am thinking of trying to get a good scene going on in the area I live though. I like playing online, but nothing beats offline events.
5. Do you prefer pad or stick? Why is that your preference?
Pad, I’ve used it longer and have no problem with it either.
6. What advice do you have for new players?
Get into the mindset of Shingo Yabuki. “Effort is always rewarded! Little by little, I will rule!”
7. How do you choose a character and team? How do you choose the order?
I pick characters that I liked in previous games. Regardless of tier. I always save the best for last.
8. Which type of character do you prefer?
Good rush-down oriented characters.
9. From a purely gameplay perspective, who is you favorite character?
I really like Kula. She gains meter quickly, has high damage potential and is quick.
10. How often do you practice or train in KOF alone?
I practice KoF a lot. If I am not playing MK then it’s KoF.
11. How do you gain new techniques, strategies, setups and combos? Do you watch match videos?
I spend a lot of time testing out things in practice mode. I match videos from time to time but I only pay really close attention when it involves characters I pick.
12. Have you played KOFXIII yet? Did you like? Will you buy it?
I played KoF XIII. I loved it. Everything about it just blew me away. The graphics look way better than they do in videos. Pre-ordered this bad boy already.
13. Will you continue to play older KOF games while playing KOFXIII?
I have KoF 94-XI. I even bought Maximum Impact 1-2 and had to import for XI because I was so impatient. The only reason I don’t have XII is because I didn’t have money at the time to buy it and now XIII is the better buy. I’ll never stop playing.