Guard Cancel: GenesisDC
Guard Cancel is an interview series profiling KOF community members. The goal is to get to know the people behind the tags. Guard Cancel will be published every Monday. If you’d like to be featured, email email@example.com or PM me in the forum.
1. How long have you played KOF? Which KOF was your first? Which is your favorite?
I’ve been playing KOF for about 15 years or so. I first played the Playstation version of KOF 95 as a youngling. It was hard to do commands, but I had fun regardless. My favorite KOF though would have to be 98. I loved the characters, the music, the presentation, and even the stray animals walking around in almost every background.
2. Why KOF over all of the other fighters?
KOF takes quite a bit of skill and execution to play, and I like challenging myself. I also think a lot of KOF characters are very unique in both design and playstyle.
3. Are you a tournament player? If so, list your tournament rankings.
In the past few years, I’ve been going to more tournaments. I used to play in KOF 2002 and Garou tournaments online, but recently I’ve been going to locals and MidWest events like PowerUp and Season’s Beatings. I never did get to play in a KOF tournament outside of locals though, I usually went for MvC3. With XIII out now I’ll be heading to a lot more tournaments.
4. Do you have a local scene or do you rely on online play?
We have a growing local scene here in Cleveland called Console Combat. Every other Sunday we meet up at a local Fox and Hound to play and stream all sorts of different games as well as host tournaments. Me and a few other dedicated players have been pushing for KOF XIII, and it’s been going very well so far. I made a post in the Ohio thread in the forums about it. Outside of that, I like to play online every so often but I don’t like relying on it.
5. Do you prefer pad or stick? Why is that your preference?
I prefer stick because ever since I first bought one, going back to pad never felt right to me. If it’s a fighting game or a shoot ’em up, I’m playing it on stick.
6. What advice do you have for new players?
Persistence is key. Everything can seem pretty overwhelming at first, but if you keep at it you will be great in no time.
7. How do you choose a character and team? How do you choose the order?
I usually pick whichever characters I like the most. For the order, I usually start with a character who doesn’t need too much meter to fight, then a good battery, then my best character.
8. Which type of character do you prefer?
I always preferred the “jack of all trades, master of none” characters. Sometimes I like rushdown or zoning characters as well, but it usually depends on the game.
9. From a purely gameplay perspective, who is your favorite character?
Either Kula or K’. They feel very natural to me and they’re fun to play, as well as being my favorite characters from a non-gameplay perspective.
10. How often do you practice or train in KOF alone?
When I have free time, I tend to put in at least a couple of hours into training mode with various characters.
11. How do you gain new techniques, strategies, setups and combos? Do you watch match videos?
I usually either learn from experience, ask other players, or study match videos then go into in training mode.
12. What do you think of KOFXIII?
I think KOF XIII is the best fighting game I’ve played in a long time. I absolutely love this game.
13. Will you continue to play older KOF games while playing KOFXIII?
Of course. While I do enjoy KOF XIII, going back to the older ones and using characters like Angel and Vanessa will always be satisfying.