Long interview with KOF XIV Producer Yasuyuki Oda
In addition to the short interview he gave at PlayStation Experience, KOF XIV Producer Yasuyuki Oda has given a rather long interview with Famitsu. The interview reveals many more details than the interviews he has given before.
The Professor over at MM Cafe has undertaken the arduous task of translating the entire interview, so head over there to read the whole thing.
Here are some of the highlights form the interview:
– All 50 characters will be playable at launch/release. Roster is already solid.
– Additional characters/dlc is undecided
– All voices have already been recorded. Some VAs will be different from before due to various circumstances.
– Online will feature a 3on3 mode where 6 players each control a character when it’s their turn. Same characters will be allowed (at current planning stage)
– Development went full throttle in spring 2014.
– Project started out after company CEO (Kawasaki?) suddenly said in 2013, “We’re gonna be #1 in [fighting] games again!”.
– Oda comes from the former SNK R&D Division 1, aka the “Fatal Fury/AOF dev team”.
– A bunch of other staff from R&D Division 1 have also returned to work on the game; the dev team is a mix of seasoned and new staff
– All the returning staff have been active in the front line, meaning no washed out staff.
– Game is returning to its roots in terms of graphics with “sharp looks on the characters”
– Attention is being given to game balance and controls
– Fighting game aspect for both offline and online are priority, but single player/story mode experience will also be given focus
– Whether game will be updated by versions (ala SF4) or go by sequels (KOF15,16) is still undecided, but it’ll be the begenning of another new saga in terms of storyline