In addition to the short interview he gave at PlayStation Experience, KOF XIV Producer Yasuyuki Oda has given a rather long interview with Famitsu. The interview reveals many more details than the interviews he has given before.
The Professor over at MM Cafe has undertaken the arduous task of translating the entire interview, so head over there to read the whole thing.
Here are some of the highlights form the interview:
– All 50 characters will be playable at launch/release. Roster is already solid.
– Additional characters/dlc is undecided
– All voices have already been recorded. Some VAs will be different from before due to various circumstances.
– Online will feature a 3on3 mode where 6 players each control a character when it’s their turn. Same characters will be allowed (at current planning stage)
– Development went full throttle in spring 2014.
– Project started out after company CEO (Kawasaki?) suddenly said in 2013, “We’re gonna be #1 in [fighting] games again!”.
– Oda comes from the former SNK R&D Division 1, aka the “Fatal Fury/AOF dev team”.
– A bunch of other staff from R&D Division 1 have also returned to work on the game; the dev team is a mix of seasoned and new staff
– All the returning staff have been active in the front line, meaning no washed out staff.
– Game is returning to its roots in terms of graphics with “sharp looks on the characters”
– Attention is being given to game balance and controls
– Fighting game aspect for both offline and online are priority, but single player/story mode experience will also be given focus
– Whether game will be updated by versions (ala SF4) or go by sequels (KOF15,16) is still undecided, but it’ll be the begenning of another new saga in terms of storyline
Last night during the Dream Cancel Live podcast after show, a few players in the discussion panel noticed that corner cross-ups may exist in King of Fighters XIV similar to Street Fighter 4. SoleChris in particular noticed the cross-up in a video he watched this past weekend, which lead to a few other instances in some footage taken at PSX.
KOF XIV was made playable at the PlayStation Experience event this past weekend. Many fans have made the trip to San Francisco to try out the demo and have posted their impressions. Here we have compiled everything we know about the game so far. Many thanks to everyone who have been providing us updates on the game including Team Chaos, Vicio, Kings of CO, Wild Wallace, James Jr., Reiki, and more.
*this post will be updated over time, so check back frequently to see all the info.*
KOF XIV is a “PS4 console exclusive” set to release sometime in 2016.
KOF XIV is developed in partnership with Sony. As a result, it is getting lots of exposure from Sony including main stage announcements, booth space at PSX. Sony is also hosting the official trailer on their YouTube channel, as well as hyping up the game on their twitter feed.
SNK is also embracing social media. They put a plaque in front of the demo stations urging fans to tweet about the game using the hashtag #KOFXIV
KOF XIV will begin a new chapter for the KOF saga.
Kyo, Iori, Andy, Leona, Chang, Kula, Billy, King, Ralf, and Angel are confirmed. There will be new characters (unrevealed) as well.
Game modes include online battles and party battles.
Development is 70% complete according to producer Yasuyuki Oda.
There will be more opportunites to try out the demo in Japan in the future.
We only expected to see anything new about KoF XIV, but SNKP released something new before that – a new trailer:
Andy is now confirmed in the cast, with a slightly revised look like everyone else so far, and other visual tweaks can also been seen – namely, Kyo now has brown hair instead of the black he had in previous trailers.
Who knows what else we can find out in the event itself with the playable demo?
The PlayStation Experience 2015 event takes place on December 5th and 6th.