Author Topic: The Future of KOF Story base games  (Read 5137 times)

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
The Future of KOF Story base games
« on: July 02, 2011, 08:09:58 PM »
This is something I been thinking on the past few days, we were all used to have annual KOF game. Some say that was good, some say it was bad idea. But the point was that we were getting 3 games base on story and 1 which was usually a gameplay perfection based on the preview 3 games systems. Making that 4th game the one with the most characters and tournament worthy.

But times have change, SNKP can't pull a yearly KOF anymore, yet SNKP and most fans still wants them to continue with their stories. But as we know, throwing out a game in 2 years is not a good choice, so I was thinking that SNKP should start doing some of the following ideas:

1. KOF XIV should have a story mode that is long and SNKP should make sure to have a good and balanced system as a fighter.

2. SNKP keeps doing 3 games for stories, which might end up been or not tournament worth. Hoping each time that SNKP will not die due to the low sales of a certain iteration.

3. SNKP goes DLC on the story, releases KOFIV and releases every 6 months new characters, new story and game fixes to keep the game feeling like yearly KOF, while doing money in the road. Then maybe after the 3 Story DLCs they release a KOFIV "insert name" Saga complete edition.

Hopefully they go for a 2 to 3 year cicle KOF game, which will include story and a well rounded gameplay system and lots of characters. That way we can keep playing XIII for a while and have it for tournaments. Because as we know, having several "must play" KOFs is not helping the community that much, since some people don't want to move to the newest version for X or Y reason. But having a KOF game every 2 to 3 years, might help and maybe most people will migrate to the next one with less problems.

So what do you guys think? What might be your best solution? KOFXIII seems to be turning into a great fighter with a great story mode. Just like XI, but can SNKP keep it up and will people wait that long for the conclusion of a saga?

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
Re: The Future of KOF Story base games
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 04:27:06 AM »
Right now, I could see this upcoming story mode as the future of KoF Storytelling.

First off, if you haven't seen this series, here's a fantastic culmination of the KoF Orochi storyline and details, starting with 94, going through 97 (I've only read the 96 and 97 ones all the way myself)

94: http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Wry+Guy/the-king-of-fighters-love-letter-kof-94-161879.phtml
95: http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Wry+Guy/the-king-of-fighters-love-letter-kof-95-162265.phtml
96: http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Wry+Guy/the-king-of-fighters-love-letter-kof-96-166469.phtml
97: http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Wry+Guy/king-of-fighters-love-letter-97-tournament-160288.phtml

If all that fantastic info was presented in game...

Let's see how close this story mode is to the drama CDs, manga, and radio dramas of the past, then we can truly figure what would be best for KoF's progression.

I hope this story mode is good enough to make people WANT more, y'know? I'd love to personally see character, stages, and story modes released as "expansion pack" DLCs, leading up to the next full-blown saga, much the same as how Borderlands had fantastic DLC tales there we fun, self-contained, and relevant to what the main-game had established.

Oh, and for that matter, there's always the chance SNKP could produce graphic adventures or RPGs in order to fill in the void of KoF stories. Even Skystage had some fun at trying to tie the orochi saga into one coherent game-story.

zeech

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 05:14:27 PM »
Theres no need for yearly releases in the modern age.  Just patch the game every now and then with free updates, and paid DLC characters, and release a compilation disc at the end.

Do we really want to go back to the bad old days of KOF99-2001?

Starcraft is a better model than Madden - stick to refining the gameplay iteratively rather than throwing everything out all the time.

As for story, it would maybe be more interesting to have DLC "episodes", that integrate into the fighting engine.

Each episode is like a visual novel and tells seperate complete story from a team or character's point of view.  (and ditch the "yearly tournament" format, its too limiting.)  This means you can have much more freedom telling a proper story - it can be completely unrelated to the KOF tournament.

Of course, we hate DLC and having to pay for it, but considering voice acting and artwork is probably the biggest content cost besides new characters, its probably not wise to burden the cost of the main game with what many players consider to be an optional extra. (and then you dont need to buy any stories about characters you dont care about.)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 05:16:33 PM by zeech »

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 06:47:14 AM »
i think if billy made it in the game then the orochi saga will continue story wise

OCV|Gilgamesh

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 12:18:33 PM »
IMO the next plot will be on "Ron's quest for the Dragon power of Kensou/Bao" like we see on Psycho Soldier ending on XI 2000 and 2003