Author Topic: Helping or hurting?  (Read 2878 times)

FameDouglas

• Strongest Tiger
  • I want GEESE in KOF XIII!
    • View Profile
Helping or hurting?
« on: July 06, 2011, 02:10:12 PM »
With hundreds of combo videos for KOF XIII floating around on the net, what effect do you feel they will have on the game's reception?

Scrubs are a very fickle bunch these days. The moment they see a single combo video featuring a 100% damage combo they will be the first to cry out "OMGZ it's teh broken!" or "(insert character or move) is broken and needs to be nerfed!"

Do these combo videos really help build hype or are they turning people off before they even play the game?

Being a veteran of the fighting game genre for 2 decades now, I can understand that the videos are intended to display the freedom and flexibility of the fighting in the KOF XIII engine. I also understand that while the people who are performing the combos in the videos make it LOOK easy, it takes a great deal of practice and surgical execution to pull off consistently in the right situation and position while under fire in a match. A large number of fans of versus fighting games may NOT have such a discerning eye, yet they are the most vocal in the scene, screaming "nerf!"

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Helping or hurting?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 02:24:38 PM »
In MVC3 its quite normal to see a 100% kill combo in tournament play at the very start of a match (like literally when the round starts), with zero meter building.

So... no, I don't think its much of an issue.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:27:43 PM by Diavle »

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 02:26:28 PM »
i think it helps cause it's always good to see what a character is possible of seeing all the crazy combos that everybody can pull off has definitely got me hyped.

and tbh all the k-dash and raiden buzz probably came from all the tourney vids around youtube and i think a lot of people forget that some of that stuff isn't very easy to do
though in their defense it would be nice if we didn't see the usuals so often

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 04:43:26 PM »
I think it is possitive because honestly, most of these combos cost a fair deal and may only be possible in the last rounds etc. You really have to build up to it, sacrificing something else along the way and if random people do not see/understand what is going on and have no intention or interest in learning, then really, who cares?

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 05:04:28 PM »
My deal is that there's to many combos and not enough videos about blockstrings, use of training mode, spacing, setups, character strategy, and the other things needed in order to land combos.

Zabel

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 05:33:40 PM »
My deal is that there's to many combos and not enough videos about blockstrings, use of training mode, spacing, setups, character strategy, and the other things needed in order to land combos.
This is nothing new, people find combo vids more fun to watch and do.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 05:08:43 AM by Kane317 »

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 07:16:44 AM »
Depends. There's been some serious backlash against Wolverine in MVC3 and the Twins in AE. I think if casuals understand how hard it is to pull off the insanely damaging combos in KOF13 they tend to shut up about things being broken.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 06:43:09 AM »
it dosnt matter who says what about KOF they just cant button mash and get away with making a big come back thats the way i see it