Author Topic: Saiki (Pre-release)  (Read 35174 times)

Siren

• New Challenger
  • I'm sorry, can you make the music louder?
    • View Profile
Re: Saiki
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2011, 06:49:57 AM »
I agree, not enough people study the other characters, but I love that Saiki seems to have a good time against most of the cast. He seems like a great character to learn the game with.
Leona "That chick from high school you liked but thought she might be a lesbian,
or just a ***, she's in the army now..probably a lesbian"Heidern.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2011, 07:16:30 AM »
I always have fun studying characters in most games.  In a lot of cases, you find things out you never knew before, or tech that people just shelve and never use.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2011, 08:40:19 PM »
Another thing I have to say about match-ups:

People who pick their character or their team just because it is a good match-up against their opponent suck. This is another reason why I don't really care for match-ups.

If their character is a better match-up against my character, then I'll just have to find a better way to outdo his dude. I think that makes you a better player than just knowing match-ups.

Siren

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2011, 09:05:34 PM »
Although knowing match-ups is important, simply counter picking will get you but so far. It allk comes down to who's the smarter player anyway.
Leona "That chick from high school you liked but thought she might be a lesbian,

GuamoKun

• Rising Dragon
  • I MISSES YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2011, 09:17:18 PM »
Although knowing match-ups is important, simply counter picking will get you but so far. It allk comes down to who's the smarter player anyway.
In KoF, counter picking isn't too important to me, because I pick characters with good themes. Sounds pretty lame but hey, that's why I want to pick up Saiki.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2011, 10:32:15 PM »

People who pick their character or their team just because it is a good match-up against their opponent suck. This is another reason why I don't really care for match-ups.

If their character is a better match-up against my character, then I'll just have to find a better way to outdo his dude. I think that makes you a better player than just knowing match-ups.

If I play 4 characters well as mains (which I actually intend to do for this game), and I think my 4th character might do better against someone then one in my "main" three, then damn right I'm gonna switch it.  It shouldn't be a problem if you're actually well versed in characters rather than only having a basic gamestyle and then trying to counter pick.

Saiki right now is on the outside looking in of my main team, but I'm sure he'll have better luck against certain teams than maybe King would.  If I think that's the case, I will indeed give Saiki the nod over King.

As for using the lack of counter picking as a reason for not caring about matchups, that's BS.  If anything, that makes it MORE important to know matchups.  If a character you know loses a matchup even barely, but you still don't know how to approach the matchup itself to help your odds of winning, it's only going to make the match THAT much harder on you.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Siren

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2011, 10:58:41 PM »
That's the same concept I follow. You should always have a couple of pocket characters in case someone on your team is having a hard time. You should definitely master all aspects of each of  your characters though including their bad match-ups.

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2011, 11:22:45 PM »
All this talk about Saiki, but those anybody know how to unlock him? ;)
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2011, 11:32:04 PM »

If I play 4 characters well as mains (which I actually intend to do for this game), and I think my 4th character might do better against someone then one in my "main" three, then damn right I'm gonna switch it.  It shouldn't be a problem if you're actually well versed in characters rather than only having a basic gamestyle and then trying to counter pick.

Saiki right now is on the outside looking in of my main team, but I'm sure he'll have better luck against certain teams than maybe King would.  If I think that's the case, I will indeed give Saiki the nod over King.

As for using the lack of counter picking as a reason for not caring about matchups, that's BS.  If anything, that makes it MORE important to know matchups.  If a character you know loses a matchup even barely, but you still don't know how to approach the matchup itself to help your odds of winning, it's only going to make the match THAT much harder on you.

You seem to have misread what I posted.

I said that the fact that some people do that is what makes me not care about them.

I know it's not a good reason, but you can't just decide if I'm BS'ing.

And with a game as balanced as this one, will matchups really matter?

...But with all my defending my reason as to why I don't care about matchups, I'm just very lazy =P
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:39:10 PM by marchefelix »

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2011, 11:42:28 PM »
Balance just means tiers won't matter (as if they ever did).  Matchups are always important.  In a game with more than 2 characters and they aren't palette swaps, some characters will automatically have an advantage over others.  To become truly good in the game, you're gonna have to know what advantages they have, and how to neutralize them.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2011, 11:43:55 PM »
Balance just means tiers won't matter (as if they ever did).  Matchups are always important.  In a game with more than 2 characters and they aren't palette swaps, some characters will automatically have an advantage over others.  To become truly good in the game, you're gonna have to know what advantages they have, and how to neutralize them.

Terms like these just make the game sound boring.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2011, 11:48:28 PM »
Sorry, BEAT their advantages.  Is that better?

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2011, 11:50:59 PM »
lol

I guess I can start paying more attention to matchups.

But I will never allow myself to become a counter-picker!

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2011, 03:21:45 AM »
Well, after playing Saiki a bit, he has great stuff as I thought, however he also has a ton of crap that has very precise inputs.

His Roundhouse Kick and DP followups are a pain (the DP moreso than the Roundhouse Kick).

His Fireball DM though is just dirty.  I can see some nasty setups coming from it.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2011, 03:40:16 AM »
Well, after playing Saiki a bit, he has great stuff as I thought, however he also has a ton of crap that has very precise inputs.

His Roundhouse Kick and DP followups are a pain (the DP moreso than the Roundhouse Kick).

His Fireball DM though is just dirty.  I can see some nasty setups coming from it.

I assume you're not talking about the joystick motions, because those are easy.

So what do you mean by that, then?