Author Topic: MMORPGS - "The Fun(Grind) Never Stops"  (Read 23425 times)

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
Re: MMORPGS - "The Fun(Grind) Never Stops"
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 09:07:49 PM »
i usually just play dps classes though im starting to learn how to use mages as well, i dont really like tanking  only game i ever really found it enjoyable in was ffXI war/nin tank was awesome

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile

Belegorm

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 07:35:48 AM »

I'm currently playing FFXI on Sylph server. I've been going back and forth on jobs, so the highest I've got is 72DNC. I like PUP, so I took that to about 58ish. COR is fun, too.

I also play GuildWars, and am definitely waiting for GW2 to drop. Right now I've been pvping with my D/R, and that's been working out. Got a R/W also.

Wow, that's an odd coincidence.  Last winter I really got back into FFXI for the first time in years, finally (thanks to a certain place that starts with the letter A) got my char the last 40 levels or so to 90.  PUP through and through, subbing WAR and DNC :)

However, once I was at 90 it seemed like I was going to be grinding for months for the endgame gear, using the same knuckles as 99% of the other PUPs and MNKs, and wearing the same certain pink armor as just about 90% of the people you see at lvl 90 (you know the kind I'm talking about... the absurdedly cheap armor and weapons you get there that you get to use forever till you get the final stuff which actually makes you look somewhat different from the pack).

Note that this was based off of up till maybe April... no clue what's happened since then or if they've raised the level cap.  If my internet back at school sucks for KOF XIII I might get back into it.

Also I used to play some GW a while back too, played the odd combination of W/R, in PvE mode (this weird beastmaster build that somehow worked).  Never did much PvP ironically, but finished prophecies, factions, eotn and nearly nightfall.  Got far enough to have unlocked a good bit of stuff for GW2, which I'm really looking forward to (need to go back and get more trophies, need 1 more of a new kind to unlock that flame sword for GW2).

Realistically speaking GW2's probably the closest thing to an MMO I should go into at this point, never have time and always have a crappy connection.

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 07:28:38 PM »
Yeah there's so much that got beefed in FFXI. Campaign is definitely one of them. I fought like 3 things, died twice, and reported in and got 8100 exp, then went back in the same campaign battle, and ended that with about 6000 exp doing slightly less. Drops do get better also with campaign. I'm not stuck getting ladybug wings, and slug eyes.

As far as GW goes, there's still some things I need to finish. PvP is too much fun though, especially with D/R and Derv got a ton of buffs recently. I need a new guild I will say that. The one I'm in doesn't do much, and people just simply leave.

Belegorm

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 10:14:07 PM »
Yeah there's so much that got beefed in FFXI. Campaign is definitely one of them. I fought like 3 things, died twice, and reported in and got 8100 exp, then went back in the same campaign battle, and ended that with about 6000 exp doing slightly less. Drops do get better also with campaign. I'm not stuck getting ladybug wings, and slug eyes.

As far as GW goes, there's still some things I need to finish. PvP is too much fun though, especially with D/R and Derv got a ton of buffs recently. I need a new guild I will say that. The one I'm in doesn't do much, and people just simply leave.

Can you still level a new job in a couple of days in aby?  Kind of pissed me off, I'd gone halfway through the levels the old-fashioned way (actually I think I'd hit lvl 60, now that I think of it), then got sucked into aby and was suddenly at 90.  Then had no clue what the hell I wanted to actually do then.

That and even with the changes the game being a huge time sink around finals led to me dropping out of it.  Still have left it installed this time though, just need to resub and update and bam I'm back in FFXI :)  Though I think I need to level up in KOF XIII and MBAA first, I've got a good amount of time to get grinding combos now :)

4leaf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 10:30:45 PM »
You guys are making me want to play XI again. I hear upgrading relic weapons are useless now in XI. Are there any signs of XI coming to a close? XIV is feeling kinda dead last I touched it a couple of months back.

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 12:02:44 AM »
You guys are making me want to play XI again. I hear upgrading relic weapons are useless now in XI. Are there any signs of XI coming to a close? XIV is feeling kinda dead last I touched it a couple of months back.

Surprisingly, FFXI is doing way better than FFXIV and they've outlined the next set of updates for the future. More mobs, maps, level caps, etc. I'll post the info when I get the info again... It's gonna be a long time before FFXI gets shut down.

It does suck for some servers though, since alot of heads go into Aby, and straight up hit 90, and there's not too many lower level players. Luckily for Sylph, there's still a good balance of low and high level players.

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 01:36:01 AM »
i really hope XIV comes out on ps3 soon seems that the updates for the game get better and better

also here's a question how do you guys choose the names for your characters?

4leaf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 02:17:55 AM »
Well since I have prematurely bought about 6mo worth of XIV gameplay, I'll stick with it until it runs out and hope it keeps my interest.

Xxenace: greek/norse mytholigy, names of past generals/rulers, favorite video game characters (i tend to avoid jp names though) and good old fashion random name generator lol.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:19:29 AM by 4leaf »

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 03:05:09 AM »
i really hope XIV comes out on ps3 soon seems that the updates for the game get better and better

also here's a question how do you guys choose the names for your characters?

It's most definitely not gonna come out for a long time on ps3, especially since the game hasn't done well, but even more disheartening is that SE has had problems developing the game on the ps3's engine/infrastructure. It's way harder to make games on the ps3 than on the x360 (thank God for directx!!!), whereas back in ps2/xbox1 days it was harder to build games on the xbox, but the emotion engine on the ps2 was way easier to work with, that's why arcade ports were stupid easy to create, damn near cut and paste.

FFXIV was to be released for x360, but M$ wanted the game to be integrated in the xbl system and their security methods. SE didn't want the hassle of having to go through one program to get to another program a la PlayOnline viewer to FFXI, so they just wanted a straight-to-game approach. M$ didn't like that, so there was some beef, and then SE basically said "screw you" and decided to stick with ps3. There was still a possibility, but that all got shot down when the reviews came in.

What kills me is that FFXI has a good formula to it, and people thought that SE would just make changees to it to make it better and release a better, faster version of FFXI, which is aight to me since I'd prefer to play a game that can go 60fps rather than 30fps, and is limited thanks to the ps2's limitations. There's so much that XIV could've been, and just isn't.

Oh as far as character names go, I stick with Jinxhand the whole way. It's practically original, and I like consistency. What's strange is on FFXI I get a gangload of party invites from Jp players. Iunno why though...

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 03:42:26 AM »
i generally name most of my toons after swords i mostly just use Tsurugi and Koutetsu

Belegorm

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 04:58:23 AM »
When it comes to names I have two of em:
Male: Belegorm
Female: Lisotte

I created my Lisotte in XI because I wanted to play PUP; dudes in tights look rather creepy xD

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 07:23:15 PM »

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 04:49:18 PM »