Author Topic: The Persona 4: The Ultimata in Mayonaka Arena Thread  (Read 45568 times)

MetalThrashingMadman

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Persona 4 FIGHTING GAME developed by Arc System Works confirmed
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2011, 09:02:13 PM »
I would probably be more hyped for this if I ever actually played a persona game. Hell, the only SMT game I ever played was Digital Devil Saga part 1, and I never even finished it. I need to get back to that game. But first I think I need to give Persona 4 a shot.

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2011, 12:04:07 AM »
I would probably be more hyped for this if I ever actually played a persona game. Hell, the only SMT game I ever played was Digital Devil Saga part 1, and I never even finished it. I need to get back to that game. But first I think I need to give Persona 4 a shot.

If you can just use a cheat device to get all your characters at 99 and just enjoy the story, that would be the best. That way you can finish the game faster, oh and use a FAQ to do all the Social Links, they are mini stories and they are fun.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 02:09:48 AM »
The game definitely has a BlazeBlue feel to it.  It's actually gotten me curious about the Persona series which I have not tried before, should I start at Persona 1 or are there titles I should just skip altogether?

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2011, 02:19:54 AM »
The game definitely has a BlazeBlue feel to it.  It's actually gotten me curious about the Persona series which I have not tried before, should I start at Persona 1 or are there titles I should just skip altogether?
if your playing it just to know who the characters in the fighting game are just play 3/4

though if your really interested in the series just start from the first one

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2011, 02:27:39 AM »
Finish DDS, man.  It's better than Persona, and you get a chance to fight one of the toughest optional bosses in any RPG from the last decade if you unlock Hitoshura.

If you're only interested in the characters in this game, Persona 3:FES (if you don't have a PSP) or Persona 3:Portable (if you do) is where I'd recommend starting.  Persona 4 is basically P3 with better characters, worse story, better combat system, slightly more challenge (still pretty easy, just not dead easy), and no easy way to get really high levels for demons like Lucifer.

If you're interested in Persona in general, Persona 1 was pretty ass...though it has some hilarious translations, especially during demon negotiations (Mark dances sexily!).  Persona 2 is a better place to start IMO (especially if you have a PSP, so that you can get the long-overdue english release of Innocent Sin).  In this vein, though, what I'd really recommend is playing Shin Megami Tensei:Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga 1/2 instead...both are like ten times better than the best Persona (P4).

Of course, my opinions should be viewed in the light that I think Nocturne is the best RPG of all time, and that the press turn combat system is the best RPG combat system of all time.
Old man/bad player

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2011, 02:28:22 AM »
The game definitely has a BlazeBlue feel to it.  It's actually gotten me curious about the Persona series which I have not tried before, should I start at Persona 1 or are there titles I should just skip altogether?
If your really interested in the series i'd recommend starting with 1 since each game has added new features that improves on the previous game, because of this some people who start with 3 or 4 find 1 and 2 dissapointing because they don't has many feratures and have a slightly "dated" feel at times.
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

MetalThrashingMadman

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2011, 04:33:41 AM »
Finish DDS, man.  It's better than Persona, and you get a chance to fight one of the toughest optional bosses in any RPG from the last decade if you unlock Hitoshura.

Yeah, I really need to finish DDS. It really stands apart from most jrpgs I have played and deserves to be finished. Still gonna try to grab a used copy of Persona 4 though.

I like your sig man. I'm a huge Blind Guardian fan myself.

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2011, 06:04:53 AM »
Everyone says BB but the movement kinda reminds me of SBX (but who remembers that game anyway... lol)

Also, Kane plays RPGs? OOOOOOOWUUUUUT?! *head asplodes*

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2011, 07:34:11 AM »
Everyone says BB but the movement kinda reminds me of SBX (but who remembers that game anyway... lol)

Also, Kane plays RPGs? OOOOOOOWUUUUUT?! *head asplodes*
im surprised as well i thought most people here only played fightan games

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2011, 01:31:57 PM »
I like your sig man. I'm a huge Blind Guardian fan myself.
Don't see how people can not like Blind Guardian, especially considering this world is sacred *laughs*

im surprised as well i thought most people here only played fightan games
Don't know about others, but I play a little bit of everything, though mostly fighters, single player RPGs, and action games.
Old man/bad player

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2011, 12:41:55 AM »
Not trying to troll but I never heard of Persona so I'm just not getting the hype. From what research I've done it looks like a license-based fighter, and I don't know. The last license-based fighter Arc worked on (correct me if I'm wrong) was Hokuto No Ken. Which looked beautiful, was true to the anime, but as a fighting game it was broken as fuck.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2011, 09:16:01 AM »
Not trying to troll but I never heard of Persona so I'm just not getting the hype. From what research I've done it looks like a license-based fighter, and I don't know. The last license-based fighter Arc worked on (correct me if I'm wrong) was Hokuto No Ken. Which looked beautiful, was true to the anime, but as a fighting game it was broken as fuck.

Actually the last License-based fighter ASW did was Sengoku Basara X (a Capcom Franchise) in 2008, which as you said, it was beautiful but not that well balanced. But unlike those 2 previews mentioned tittles, P4U can be patched for balancing if needed, so it could work better than those 2 other tittles.

And to get hyped on this game you must know the source material, but if you like the fighter you might get curious to try the RPG. But either way, the Persona 4 RPG is one great JRPG and if you enjoy such genre you should give the game a run.

Animefreak

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2011, 11:19:52 AM »
I'd say get in on that Persona 4 game Metal, and also Persona 3 FES which is also a good game, they're also very similar lol.

ANd then get your ass back to DDS and play those because i also  feel they are better.

I in fact wish this was Atlus Fighter Z and had DDS characters in it... other SMT games, Trauma Center and Etrian Odyssey lol.  Hell throw Bonk in there.

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2011, 03:00:54 PM »
You're right that Arc games have a history of being really broken on their first version.  GG, BBCT, HnK, and SBX where all, well, pretty broken *laughs* .  But there are two other details that go along with this, in my eyes:

1) HnK is still incredibly fun to play.  Broken dams all day, yo *laughs* .  Not sure about SBX, since I never played it, and of course the other two turned into series with pretty good balance (starting at GGSlash and BBCS2 [aside from maybe Tager]).

2) A P4 fighter will almost certainly be a huge hit in Japan alone from the source material, so an update patch in 2013 is almost a sure thing.  While I think BB is the least fun Arc fighter, it got pretty balanced pretty quickly, so that's the one aspect that makes me glad it's that team working on this game.

I in fact wish this was Atlus Fighter Z and had DDS characters in it... other SMT games, Trauma Center and Etrian Odyssey lol.  Hell throw Bonk in there.
Using Hitoshura with a Black Frost summon in a fighter would be too godlike.
Old man/bad player

Animefreak

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2011, 03:26:38 PM »
BBs only least fun if you use anyone but Bang lol. That being said Bang is bad in CS2, like 2nd worst to Tager bad.

HAHA, TOO godlike? i dunno man i'd like to cream myself to it.