Author Topic: EVO 2012 and beyond  (Read 5352 times)

XTG

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
EVO 2012 and beyond
« on: August 31, 2011, 12:16:55 PM »
So, EVO maybe expand into a 4-day format from 2012 and onward. How do you feel about that? With a slew of new fighting games coming out for the 2011-2012 tournament season, KOF XIII being one of them, would you guys welcome a 4 day event or keep it at 3 days? I know everyone wants to see KOF XIII at EVO next year as an OFFICIAL GAME, not just side tournament status like...every other EVO, so this matters. Link below for reference.

http://shoryuken.com/2011/08/30/evo-feedback-needed/

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
Re: EVO 2012 and beyond
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 05:35:05 PM »
Good shit man, I personally wanted to touch this subject. I will be cool with EVO being a 4 day event as long as all the games receive the same treatment and more games that are Non-Capcom titles.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:12:53 PM by THE ANSWER »
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

steamwolf

• Scion of Flame
  • Southtown Underdog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 03:48:57 AM »
Good shit man, I personally wanted to touch this subject. I will be cool with EVO being a 4 day event as long as all the games receive the same treatment and more games that are Non-Capcom titles.

I agree with you there, Answer. Not even just KoF XIII, but some of the other titles coming out that deserve a break. Melty Blood only got there due to fan votes and they didn't even get the chance this past year to do that.

Mr.KOF

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 03:55:27 AM »
Getting KOF 13 added to the main line up is the first step into having a good EVO presentation.

We also need to mobilize and work on our crowd hype. I don't want to be up on stage and doing a nice combo while the crowd stays quiet and doesn't know what the heck is happening during the match.

SLOGANS to be said...

While a person is performing an HD combo ( The crowd should yell  Don'T Get Hit!).
Yell NEO MAX if you want it to be performed or if it's being performed.
If a combo turns out to be  MAX CANCELED (Yell out All Skill!).
When someone gets OCV'ed (yell out EASY!)
If a guard crush takes place yell out "Cheeseburgers"

Hopefully you guys will realize that we need a voice to go with the game if it makes it to the line-up.
The players that know how to play the game can make it look good. But the voices to be heard would mean that  "WE CARE".

eLive.pro|Mr.KOF

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 09:12:07 AM »
Getting KOF 13 added to the main line up is the first step into having a good EVO presentation.

We also need to mobilize and work on our crowd hype. I don't want to be up on stage and doing a nice combo while the crowd stays quiet and doesn't know what the heck is happening during the match.

SLOGANS to be said...

While a person is performing an HD combo ( The crowd should yell  Don'T Get Hit!).
If a combo turns out to be  MAX CANCELED (Yell out All Skill!).

Hopefully you guys will realize that we need a voice to go with the game if it makes it to the line-up.
The players that know how to play the game can make it look good. But the voices to be heard would mean that  "WE CARE".

4leaf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 10:09:18 AM »
Not the first step but an important one nonetheless.

The rest will fall in place if/when people put a serious effort in learning the game (or any game for that matter).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 10:11:06 AM by 4leaf »

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 07:38:13 PM »
Just let the crowd say "AYE!" or "OH!" for each hit in a big juggle... That easily builds hype, and there's tons of dope combos to "AYE" to (Andy dash elbow to Kuuhaden cancel combos are most definitely AYE-able)...

A random "PREDICTABO" wouldn't hurt either...

But yeah, showing professionalism during any KOF XIII event, whether spectator, commentator, or any form of participant, is definitely important. While people are interested in the game, we don't want any MvC2-esque drama horror stories plaguing the scene.

Getting SNK's (and Atlus') involvment in and with the community definitely will throw fuel to the fire, and will allow others to see how dedicated we all are on both ends of the spectrum. This will definitely make the scene grow bigger, while showing those EVO execs that KOF is worth the slot for a main event. I wouldn't be surprised if many competitors from all over the world show up to this. I mean its actually the biggest tournament in the world now, and what better reason to have the biggest series in the world to tie that with, and that's not speaking from a fanboy's perspective either.

Our very own involvement with the scene/potential scene(s)/people around us will be a big plus. Despite some beliefs, I feel that there's at least 1 strong player (or someone with vast knowledge of the game) in most parts of the US, and this site (or any site for that matter) doesn't truly show that yet. We gotta be those "KOF-evangelists" spreading the dopeness of KOF, and getting cats ready for the arrival of KOFXIII. It's up to SNK to come through with what they say they're gonna deliever though; but, even in all of that, we shouldn't be a "closed off" community. I'm not saying we are at all, because we're not, however, I'm pretty sure there's someone in the area you live in that has heard of, or has played KOF either awhile ago, or a long time ago, and they don't play it now (and haven't heard of this site either).

I know this is the EVO 2k12+ thread, but I think there's more to it than having a good EVO presentation. I mean imagine if the KOF console version was still ver 1.1, and it was a main event at EVO, there would still be those stigmas of K' being strong, Raiden's dropkick, everyone tier whoring, and that Takuma glitch being talked about heavily amongst the viewers both online and offline. Even with the good presentation, we'd really have to work harder at giving people a reason to play the game still, and "convince" them that its fun. It's easier for SF4 players to do that even though many agree that AE is unbalanced in comparison to SSF4- it's Street Fighter; that's practically all that needs to be said. We have to work harder than that, especially considering the fact that many players were left with a sour taste in their mouth because of XII (I kinda liked it, despite its sub-par netcode, and barebones composition-- it was unique imo). 

Of course XIII's gonna be as balanced as SNK can make it though. We just have to look beyond building hype for EVO. Not to sound contradicting, but I do agree that there needs to be hype for EVO since that's the biggest way to display the game, cmomunity, and anything else to the world, but I feel that we have to "start swimming to get to the delta before we start worrying about the ocean" first.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 09:47:22 PM »
I think the rumor is that elive.pro's RF and Kindevu are going to play XIII since elive.pro LOVEs XIII couple that with Juicebox's own admission that he wants to play, Xian from SG and possibly even PoongKo...I think that there's a real good chance Evo'12 is going to be off the hook.

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 09:57:33 PM »
I think the rumor is that elive.pro's RF and Kindevu are going to play XIII since elive.pro LOVEs XIII couple that with Juicebox's own admission that he wants to play, Xian from SG and possibly even PoongKo...I think that there's a real good chance Evo'12 is going to be off the hook.

Hopefully, cats like Juicebox and PoongKo will get people's interest in the game even further. Sadly, things like this need to be on SRK, since they still have the biggest list of frequent registered users, and they're taking even more interest of things like VF5FS, BB, and definitely KOFXIII and other non-Capcom fighters.

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 01:24:53 AM »
Personally I don't worry about EVO, MrWizard has said it him self. The community needs to show support by attending and participating at other events not just ask to be at EVO. We should focus in making the KOF precense felt in Major events such as Final Round, NEC, UFGT, etc. and the EVO spot will come without asking.

Daigo himself can play KOF XIII but that's not going to be enough to give KOF a spot on the main EVO llineup.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

steamwolf

• Scion of Flame
  • Southtown Underdog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 03:19:20 AM »
Personally I don't worry about EVO, MrWizard has said it him self. The community needs to show support by attending and participating at other events not just ask to be at EVO. We should focus in making the KOF precense felt in Major events such as Final Round, NEC, UFGT, etc. and the EVO spot will come without asking.

Daigo himself can play KOF XIII but that's not going to be enough to give KOF a spot on the main EVO llineup.

I do agree with you and it is my priority right now to make sure that happens. I'm far away from EVO so its not a priority to me. If I place top eight at a regional event, I'll worry about evo :P

However, the South-East scene, Florida in particular, has been small and had little growth over the years. Currently, even though KoF is a priority, the Florida scene in general is a higher priority of mine so I never concern myself with EVO just trying to make Florida a better known place. I'll leave EVO to FlashMetroid ;p
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 03:22:02 AM by steamwolf »

davidkong07

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 06:53:17 AM »

SLOGANS to be said...

While a person is performing an HD combo ( The crowd should yell  Don'T Get Hit!).
If a combo turns out to be  MAX CANCELED (Yell out All Skill!).

The players that know how to play the game can make it look good. But the voices to be heard would mean that  "WE CARE".

lolol dude, i wanted to get so hype during this years side tourney, but it would have been really awkward because everyone else was silent. good to know you're down for the hype, because I ALWAYS get hype lolol

and also, why, "cheeseburgers"?
In it to win it!

davidkong07

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 06:57:19 AM »

i want to be able to BODY these fools by evo2012. maybe not xian, cuz he actually plays kof lol
In it to win it!

MetalThrashingMadman

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 06:42:21 AM »
While I think a 4 day event would be awesome, it would make an already expensive trip even more costly. Glad they are bringing it up now though. It's time for me to start saving.

Evo is probably the only chance I'll get to butt heads with you guys in the SoCal crew in person again. I definitely want to be there. I don't intend to be a push over next year either. I'm gonna make you suckas bleed. ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 06:44:35 AM by MetalThrashingMadman »

Jericho 84

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 11:52:10 AM »
I think that this is a great idea.  It is nice to see a longer progression of things happening to give a chance to others a chance to advance and possibly get new players to shine in a broader and more exposed environment.  I know I'm definitely up for it!