Author Topic: NGBC - Kim Kaphwan  (Read 3533 times)

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
NGBC - Kim Kaphwan
« on: September 12, 2011, 10:03:06 PM »
Normals

Close
* cl. ;a / ;b / ;c / ;d are cancel-able.

Standing
* (to be updated)

Crouching
* ;dn ;a / ;b / ;c / ;d are cancel-able.
* ;dn ;b links with ;a.
* ;dn ;d causes a techable KD.

Jumping
* ;uf ;c can cancel into either his ;qcb ;db ;fd + ;b / ;d or his air ;dn ~ ;up + ;a .

Guard Cancel Tag Attack
Pressing the ;e button while blocking will allow Kim to attack with a kick similar to his cl. ;c , and he will then tag out.

Throw
Sakkyaku Nage - ;bk / ;fd + ;c / ;d
*Can be broken. Regular knockdown.

Command Moves
Neri Chagi: ;fd + ;b
* This move is an overhead kick that doesn't combo from any normal moves. This kick can be canceled into, in which case this will hit twice, and the last hit is cancel-able.

Special Moves
Saren Geki: ;qcb + ;a (up to 3 times)
* Kim does a mid kick combo that can causes a techable KD after the last hit.

Sankuu Kyaku: ;qcb + ;c (up to 3 times)
* Kim does another kick combo, but this one ends in an overhead kick. The overhead kick causes a non-techable KD.

Hangetsu Zan: ;qcb + ;b / ;d
* This is the familiar flip kick that everyone who has fought Kim remembers seeing and hearing. The button strength determines the distance traveled and number of hits. Using ;b does 1 hit, but can super cancel. Using ;d does 3 hits. Both versions do cause a non-techable KD.

Haki Kyaku: ;dn ;dn + ;b / ;d
* This stomp move is great because it serves many purposes. For starters, using the ;b version allows Kim to cancel into a super. Using the ;d version doesn't allow a super cancel, but causes non-techable KD, but also serves as a way to crush ground projectiles. Both versions of this move cannot by reversed. (Testing to see if Shishioh can reverse this move).

Hishou Kyaky: (air) ;dn + ;b / ;d
* Kim does his dive kick. The only real benefit is that this move can be done instantly the moment Kim's feet no longer touch the ground.

Ryusei Kyaku: ;bk ~ ;fd + ;b / ;d
* Kim does a low hitting slide kick to an aerial axe kick. Button strength determines the distance traveled, as well as changing the 2nd kick properties to either a non-KD hit, to a KD causing hit. Using ;d makes the 2nd hit an overhead. The low hit from both versions are super cancel-able.

Hien Zan: ;dn ~ ;up + ;b / ;d
* Kim does his flash kick. Using ;d allows Kim to super cancel into his air super. Both versions cause a techable KD.

Tenshou Zan: (while doing ;d version of Hien Zan) press ;dn + ;d
* This is the finisher to the ;d version of Hien Zan. Doing this prevents the opponent from teching after the KD. This is the better option to use instead of canceling to a super, since Kim has stronger combos that lead into his air super.

Kuu Sajin: charge ;dn ~ ;up ;a / ;c OR (air) ;dn ;up + ;a
* Kim does double spin kicks in an upward angle. Using ;a does 2 hits, while ;c does 3 hits. All versions are super cancel-able and cause techable KD. Note that the ;c version tends to whiff on the first hit vs a grounded opponent. Using the air version, note that only ;a can be used.  

Desperation Moves
Hou'ou Hiten Kyaku: ;qcf ;qcf + ;b / ;d
* Kim does a super kick that causes a juggle state to the opponent. Using ;b launches up and outward, while the ;d version launches straight up. If blocked, this move does 2 hits.

Hou'ou Kyaku: ;qcb ;db ;fd + ;b / ;d (air OK)
* This is Kim's ranbu. When executed, Kim does a dash in the direction of the opponent. If Kim touches an opponent who isn't blocking, Kim does his ranbu attack dealing severe damage. If blocked, Kim just stops. If the ranbu whiffs, Kim continues to dash and then stops. Button strength determines the distance dashed. This move can be done in the air also. Most times, a ;dn ;dn + ;d follow up is possible if the ranbu was successful, since this super can push the opponent into the corner, and this causes a non-techable KD.

A/D Assault
Kim has no A/D Assaults.

Strats and combos (once posted) will be found here: http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Kim_Kaphwan_(NGBC)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 07:39:20 AM by jinxhand »

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: NGBC - Kim Kaphwan
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 05:38:27 PM »
Just tested that Kim can actually do his air super off of all jumping attacks, except jumping A. This includes jumping straight up and up-forward.

Jumping C has tons of priority vs many characters. I think its even good against Big's lariat. Last I tested it, they both traded, with Kim in favor. I might be able to get an air super off of the trade still. I'll test that out later. As of now, I know these moves can clearly beat out Kim's j.C:

Geese's high counter
Rock's high/mid counter, Raging Storm (timed)
Ryo's high counter, ranbu super
Shishioh's high projectile, counter

I'll update the list as I find out (and remember) more moves that can beat this out.

Basically, the goal is this: hit confirm to rekkas, then to super as soon as you get meter for it!!! If the super takes you to the corner, finish with his stomp (D stomp is the only one that can hit OTG, so remember that). Sure, there are finer points to playing him, but he has so much priority and does so much damage with his super, that you don't really have to work too hard to win.

His best poke is cr.A, which can go straight into the first rekka. That can keep him safe. If someone tries to GCFS, you can go right into the second rekka and then third to combo then into the super if available. I've seen some matches where the Kim player went into the second rekka and he was safe still, but I'm not sure if that can be truly punished or not.

If you throw the opponent in the corner, go for a stomp. It combos!!! Kinda like Ryo's dp+K corner combo off of a throw.

Kim can take advantage of blue canceling in his combos better than most. It's not just st.C~AB, st.C~AB, repeat. Something basic (sorta) would be like this:

st.C(2 hits)~AB, cr.D, d,u+A/C

The only trick is starting to hold down right as the first hit in st.C connects. Then you can keep holding it, til cr.D connects, then cancel. You could replace d,u+A/C with d,u+B/D, just get that d+D in after d,u+D if you decide to do that.

That's all I got for now.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 11:15:08 PM »
Is this the only game where Kim can do his  ;dn  ;dn +  ;k to an opponent who's lying down on the ground?

Actually, I have seen other moves do that in this game, such as Iori's projectile. Makes me wonder if this is something unique to this game or if it's something that can be done in other games...

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 04:58:32 AM »
Is this the only game where Kim can do his  ;dn  ;dn +  ;k to an opponent who's lying down on the ground?

Actually, I have seen other moves do that in this game, such as Iori's projectile. Makes me wonder if this is something unique to this game or if it's something that can be done in other games...

To my knowledge this is the first time that Kim's stomp hits OTG. I'm not sure if Kim's stomp is this strong in any other KOF though. The fact that his D stomp eats ground projectiles is definitely a plus, as I've never seen that in any other game that he's been in.

This move alone makes him even more deadly, because he can get you to focus on blocking his crouching punch to his rekkas, and then outta nowhere, dashes in with a light to his B stomp and cancel it into a super-- and then finish his ranbu with a stomp in the corner...

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 08:16:49 PM »
Ah, I see.

And what do you have to say about the second part of my post? That is, I'd like to know if any other games can hit opponents OTG. As I have pointed out, I have seen other moves do that, such as Iori's projectile. There are probably other moves that can do that too in NGBC, but I don't know more of them.

(This probably belongs in the NGBC General Discussion thread, but I already asked here in a previous post.)

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 09:57:53 PM »
Ah, I see.

And what do you have to say about the second part of my post? That is, I'd like to know if any other games can hit opponents OTG. As I have pointed out, I have seen other moves do that, such as Iori's projectile. There are probably other moves that can do that too in NGBC, but I don't know more of them.

(This probably belongs in the NGBC General Discussion thread, but I already asked here in a previous post.)

That's fine... I'll make a list of moves that OTG, post it in the general thread, and eventually try to get that info in the wiki. There's quite a few OTG moves in NGBC.

Actually, the only other game I can think of that Kim might be able to OTG in is CvS2... I don't know of any SNK game that allows him to do that with stomp. That's just one of the reasons why I was explaining how great that move is.