Author Topic: DOA 5 coming 2012  (Read 35486 times)

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
Re: DOA 5 coming 2012
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 09:16:43 AM »
Dead or Alive...

Isn't it that one super-ultra-mega-giga fanservice-y fighting game?

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 09:29:20 AM »
Dead or Alive...

Isn't it that one super-ultra-mega-giga fanservice-y fighting game?
no no no thats that one dating sim fighting game from japan DoA is srs bizness

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 09:34:41 AM »
Does anyone really care about DOA as a serious fighter?

I always liked DOA as a fighter, I really enjoy the Counter system and the multi level stages. But the problem I see with the game mechanics is that the counters take way too much life, same as the falls of the multi stages. If they fix that, I think the game will be more enjoyable as a competitive fighter.

Counters IMO are like Parries in SF3, they are risky because you are guessing the next attack. But obviously Parries take a more skill to pull, but if you pull a counter/parry it becomes a really ratifying moment. The problem is that the damage you cause is huge at times and you can win a match with 3 or 4 well guessed counters.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:36:41 AM by DarKaoZ »

Animefreak

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 10:29:14 AM »
Man this game doesn't interest me at all.... DoA is by far the worst 3d series to try to do competitively and bay far the most fun to watch. But all this video did was show me the sweet stages that are gonna DESTROY the reality of online play.....

The HuBBs

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 04:24:48 AM »
doa 4 is a joke for competetive gaming.  doa3.1 was the peak of the series and doa2u was great.

I'm surpised nobody here knew that I ran doa tourneys for 5 years now?

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 04:38:42 AM »
doa 4 is a joke for competetive gaming.  doa3.1 was the peak of the series and doa2u was great.

well uh i never heard of you so yeah

The HuBBs

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 06:10:24 AM »
I'm not suprised.  I only a TO not a top tier player and hype master like DOAMASTER, tom brady, PL or black mamba.  My tournaments were recognized as proving grounds for CGS back before it canned itself.

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 06:33:38 AM »

well uh i never heard of you so yeah

Nah he's legit man... He's right though... DOA4 is garbage when you compare it to both 2U and 3.1. I've played the hell outta 2U, 3.0, and got a chance to check out 3.1, and I'll tell you that there's a huge difference in the system. 3.1 was dope for me because sidesteps actually worked. Not only that, unlike most fighters, DOA's frame data is strange imo-- I mean almost every move for any random character had negative recovery frames. In 3.1 (not sure about 3), they fixed it so that you could use some moves without fear of being punished for just about everything you do. I kinda see why moves had a ton of negative frames. The system is pretty much RPS with emphasis on yomi, so to my knowledge its not necessarily about pokes per sé, in a Tekken sense where you can spam safely with say a df+1, and 1 or 2 safe strings. It's just that you have to know how well to mix things up, because the system forces you to do that with the negative frames. I don't know how much that has changed in 4.0 or 4.1, but I do know some of that stuff got relieved in 3.1. I'm pretty sure there are many other reasons as to why 3.1 is superior to the other DOAs, but I only got a little time with it.

My issue with 4 was that it felt watered down in many ways. Sure, scrubs are gonna mash out counter all day, but in 2U and 3, you had to actually had to know how to counter someone's move, because there were 6 ways to counter, vice 4 in DOA4 (correct me if I'm wrong--its been awhile). Those characters with special parries like Gen Fu and Lei Fang actually had parries and deflecting moves that were very beneficial to them in 2U (I stuck with Jann and Brad in 3) and they gave them better options, but it required some time to truly master those moves. In 4, I don't recall any real benefit to using them, especially since there's now only a 4 point counter system.

I'm also not a fan of the force get up they have where you kick an opponent and it forces them to get up without you doing anything. For starters, its a free hit, and it puts you in a position you have no control over. In other 3d fighters, I can get hit, and still be able to roll and then get up. Even if I landed near a wall, or edge of a stage, I could still find a way to avoid it. Not so in DOA4.

I'm also not a fan of the moving danger zones. They provide some situational setups, but sometimes that's the same thing that can mess you up while you do a combo, mixup, or whatever. So then you have to stop because a cheetah is running at you, and it saves the opponent.

I will say though I am glad they brought back the bounce combos that were in what DOA1 and ++ I believe. That gave a new way to combo for a ton of characters, especially Zack. I also like how they beefed him up. He was a good character in the other series, but in 4 it's like Team Ninja decided to try some new things, and he was the perfect candidate. I do wish that they didn't nerf some character's combo capabilities like Jann Lee's. I can't stand how his kick launchers don't launch as high as they used to, and in order to get that high launch you have to put yourself in the hornet's nest and attempt to get another stun.

Oh yeah, speaking of Jann Lee, why can the computer do combos that we can't??? I mean there's no physical way of doing it, unless there's some gameshark for x360...

Any DOA vets please feel free to elaborate on whatever I said, and please don't let me spit some incorrect stuff...

Well, I hope that Team Ninja truly hears its fans out and make a 3.1 style of DOA and make it even better. Strangely enough, I felt that DOA 3 was less worried about TnA (sans the cutscenes), and was more worried about the actual gameplay and they beefed it up.

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 06:25:16 AM »

My issue with 4 was that it felt watered down in many ways. Sure, scrubs are gonna mash out counter all day, but in 2U and 3, you had to actually had to know how to counter someone's move, because there were 6 ways to counter, vice 4 in DOA4 (correct me if I'm wrong--its been awhile). Those characters with special parries like Gen Fu and Lei Fang actually had parries and deflecting moves that were very beneficial to them in 2U (I stuck with Jann and Brad in 3) and they gave them better options, but it required some time to truly master those moves. In 4, I don't recall any real benefit to using them, especially since there's now only a 4 point counter system..

Because you asked to be corrected, the counter system has been less consistent than that.

2U and 4 both had a four-input counter system (ub vs. high attacks, b vs. mid-punches, f vs. mid-kicks, and db vs. low attacks). 3 (and DOA:Dimensions) have a three-input counter system (b vs. any mid attacks). Although it's possible that DOA3 and 3.1 had different systems? Not sure.

I first learned DOA with the four-input counter system, which I feel makes sense in relation to most character's movelists. But I may be biased here. I remember they said they were tightening the window for counters in DOA4, but it didn't seem much harder.

Anyway, what's with all the haters in this thread? It's cool if DOA isn't your thing, but no one's forcing you to check out this thread. I'm looking forward to DOA5.

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 06:44:17 AM »

My issue with 4 was that it felt watered down in many ways. Sure, scrubs are gonna mash out counter all day, but in 2U and 3, you had to actually had to know how to counter someone's move, because there were 6 ways to counter, vice 4 in DOA4 (correct me if I'm wrong--its been awhile). Those characters with special parries like Gen Fu and Lei Fang actually had parries and deflecting moves that were very beneficial to them in 2U (I stuck with Jann and Brad in 3) and they gave them better options, but it required some time to truly master those moves. In 4, I don't recall any real benefit to using them, especially since there's now only a 4 point counter system..

Because you asked to be corrected, the counter system has been less consistent than that.

2U and 4 both had a four-input counter system (ub vs. high attacks, b vs. mid-punches, f vs. mid-kicks, and db vs. low attacks). 3 (and DOA:Dimensions) have a three-input counter system (b vs. any mid attacks). Although it's possible that DOA3 and 3.1 had different systems? Not sure.

I first learned DOA with the four-input counter system, which I feel makes sense in relation to most character's movelists. But I may be biased here. I remember they said they were tightening the window for counters in DOA4, but it didn't seem much harder.

Anyway, what's with all the haters in this thread? It's cool if DOA isn't your thing, but no one's forcing you to check out this thread. I'm looking forward to DOA5.
rex it's natural for people to voice there opinion on how much they hate something

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2011, 06:53:41 AM »
rex it's natural for people to voice there opinion on how much they hate something
Only on the internet. And even then, you see it much more at places like GameFAQs, IGN, Gamespot, etc. Believe it or not, I expect better of DC.

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2011, 07:33:02 AM »
Only on the internet. And even then, you see it much more at places like GameFAQs, IGN, Gamespot, etc. Believe it or not, I expect better of DC.
why we're only human i dont even think anyone really even cares as long as it doesn't become an issue  and just my 2 gil i find it rather annoying that i cant speak my mind with out getting the threat of "making the community look bad"

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2011, 09:58:38 AM »
DOA kinda gets a bad rap in general, but from my experience its from people who only play the game and take it at face value, instead of really trying to understand the finer points of the game...

It's like non-Tekken players who say that Tekken is a juggle fest. It can be, only if one's defense is garbage. In many really good matches that I've had, most of the time I was poking and going for mixups.

Anyway, I'm hoping that this DOA is the one that truly shows tight gameplay, and a more in-depth training mode. I guess a tutorial mode to help people understand the game further wouldn't be bad, even though the game itself is pretty easy to get into.

BiGGDaddyCane

• Strongest Tiger
  • Got Bills?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2011, 10:09:49 PM »
I played all DOA's. Have been into them since the first on the original xbox. Love Bayman that dude is legit.

But i stopped playing them seriously after DOA4. I still played it though i was B rank online. However, i pray they put much effort & time into DOA5 to have a well planned out counter system.

Shit hopefully they do Beta testing like Tekken does.

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 12:46:50 AM »
if anyone still cares
so apparently they are gonna be toning down the sexy and the "violence" in DoA5

tbh the glourious bouncing tits, panty shots and skimpy outfits never bothered me also i hate it when devs try to get serious with a game everyone knows that team ninja cant make a game with a good story i mean look at metroid other M