Author Topic: Racing Game thread  (Read 11210 times)

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Racing Game thread
« on: October 02, 2011, 02:06:42 AM »
Until this year I never realized how much I love racing games, and now for first time a forza game has got me so hyped to the point that I will buy it from launch. I will buy GT5 if I had a ps3, I had mad respects from that series

And also, NFS The run seems really fun, it's worth a check

Waifu Material

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Racing Game thread
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 05:54:39 AM »
GT5 is totally sick and I have been a fan of the series for a long time and can't wait for 2.0 and the upcoming DLC also I think provides experiences that can't be had anywhere else ie their reality vs. simulation event with David Coulthard . it's also kind of funny that I want a 360 for Forza and you want a PS3 for GT5. In regards to the Run i'm still skeptical as I feel the recent NFS games are somewhat overated and it's developed by Blackbox who made a lot of the crappy NFS games in recent years
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 05:58:14 AM by baccano1932 »
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 07:35:04 AM »
I used to play quite a bit of F-Zero, Wipe Out, Extreme-G, Mario Kart, Wave Race, and San Francisco Rush.

I haven't really played many racing games since the 32/64-Bit era's came to an end, save for F-Zero on Game Cube and Wipeout HD on PS3.

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 07:51:33 AM »
Wipeout 3 on PlayStation is my favorite. Although I suck at it.
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 08:02:51 PM »
Baccano, from some friends, I had heard that GT5 is not that good

Which is your opinion? It seems like all they hyper from the first E3 to the day of launch really killed the game, to the point that their sales are not that good (still are awesome) and some reviews trashed the game

Waifu Material

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 09:12:03 PM »
Baccano, from some friends, I had heard that GT5 is not that good

Which is your opinion? It seems like all they hyper from the first E3 to the day of launch really killed the game, to the point that their sales are not that good (still are awesome) and some reviews trashed the game

"The absence of a rewind function, which has become a common mechanic in driving games over the last few years, is going to hurt novices most... It’s especially unfortunate then that you can’t gain XP in the online races to spice things up a bit. Although I never had any problems finding races through the game’s lobby system, it was almost impossible to figure out what the requirements were for each race I joined... To be honest, the menu system all throughout GT5 is bad. Exiting out of anything almost always requires a confirmation or extra key-press, and unusually long load times for simple menus can sometimes dampen the fun...There’s also an AI-driven B-Spec mode where you give commands to a driver that levels separately from yourself. Essentially you watch a race in movie mode and have the ability to tell the driver when to pace up and down, and when to try to pass another driver. If it sounds boring, that’s because it is Quote from Giantbomb's review(according to metacritic this was the most negative review the game got)http://www.giantbomb.com/gran-turismo-5/61-21790/reviews/
These seem to be the most common complaints based on what i've read in the last 11 months and i'll try to address each of the stated problems. The rewind function is almost like complaining about KOF13 not having a comeback mechanic and is quite frankly a dumb complaint that only lazy players care about. In terms of online the interface has been streamlined and improved via updates these updates have also alowed you to earn XP online so that point has become irrelavant. The menus are a little tedious and somewhat cluttered and the load times are a bit much however I don't feel like it hurts the game all that much. In regards to B-Spec mode my opinion is if you don't like it just don't play it since it doesn't restrict your progress or prevent you from earning pretty much every car I don't see why people made such a big deal about a feature that was clearly intended for a certain auduence(myself included) that actually likes B-Spec mode since it adds another layer of gameplay that isn't available in competing games. Also in terms of GT5's overall "feel" in terms of the Actual gameplay is still fairly unrivaled in terms of it's realism and in how the physics work, the car's handling, braking etc. also the range of cars and events is very impressive boasting cars from road going, rally, GT1, JGTC,DTM, Nascar,Go-karts,Concept, New original cars that only exist in the GT games, F1 and several other types I can't remember off the top of my head. In the end I think the best quote i've heard describing the game was in 1up.com's review of the game " it's about patience. Because Gran Turismo 5 contains a seemingly unending supply of driving experience to enjoy, if you just allow yourself the time to discover it."http://www.1up.com/reviews/gran-turismo-5-review

"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 09:39:06 PM »
Thanks for the little review baccano, still, I don't know why I had this vibe than forza 4 will improve their own errors and the ones from polyphony and deliver a more polished and maybe better game

Waifu Material

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 11:00:24 PM »
i never really could get into gt at all especially gt5 the fact that you cant paint your car the way you want really kills it for me granted the driving mechanics may be better or on par with forza's it just really takes the fun out of it when you can only just drive a car and do nothing else (besides is fun to watch people get mad when beat people with a enzo Ferrari with hatsune miku painted on it)

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 11:49:33 PM »
i never really could get into gt at all especially gt5 the fact that you cant paint your car the way you want really kills it for me granted the driving mechanics may be better or on par with forza's it just really takes the fun out of it when you can only just drive a car and do nothing else (besides is fun to watch people get mad when beat people with a enzo Ferrari with hatsune miku painted on it)

When you say " the fact that you cant paint your car the way you want" do you mean specifically stuff like Hatsune Miku stuff or just the colour of the car in general? I'm asking because GT5 did improve in a sense that tou can change the colour of your car as long as you have a paint chip for that shade of paint and with around 1400 shades of paint there is still quite a bit of variety in the appearance of your car.

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 12:08:09 AM »

When you say " the fact that you cant paint your car the way you want" do you mean specifically stuff like Hatsune Miku stuff or just the colour of the car in general? I'm asking because GT5 did improve in a sense that tou can change the colour of your car as long as you have a paint chip for that shade of paint and with around 1400 shades of paint there is still quite a bit of variety in the appearance of your car.
i meant the fact that you can't add stuff like liveries to it  i think that shit is boring with out it

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 09:25:27 AM »
Wipeout 3 on PlayStation is my favorite. Although I suck at it.

It's great, i've got that and sega rally arcade online, or whatever order there was to that name. Both are fun, though wipeout is clearly better imo.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 04:10:09 PM »
I liked sega rally online demo, but not to the point of buy it, the lack of courses killed the game for me, plus, it was not nearly as good as Sega Rally 2

One Awesome game of driving is Outrun 2, I had a blast playing to the point that took me 2 years to get all the achievements, as a grateful experience, sadly, it seems that has been removed from the network (and in the bazar later) due to Ferrari License problems
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 04:11:40 PM by sibarraz »

Waifu Material

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 08:35:09 PM »
I don't play any realistic racing games. I own a car and live right off of the interstate. I can drive realistically whenever I would like to. Just like fighting games, I don't like realism.

My favorite racer is Burnout Paradise. Midnight Club is cool but I prefer the madness of Burnout.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 08:52:49 PM »
I don't play any realistic racing games. I own a car and live right off of the interstate. I can drive realistically whenever I would like to. Just like fighting games, I don't like realism.

My favorite racer is Burnout Paradise. Midnight Club is cool but I prefer the madness of Burnout.

Pretty much this for me. I like Mario Kart games better than any realistic racing games.

So does that mean you also like games like Mario Kart? :D

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 09:10:26 PM »
Mario Kart feels a little slow to me. I have fun with Double Dash on Gamecube and the DS version was pretty good.