Author Topic: FGC vs eSports and the other and bigger issues  (Read 7118 times)

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
Re: FGC vs eSports and the other and bigger issues
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 05:48:26 PM »
Actually, even if the SRK Illuminati or whatever gave a seal of approval...it still falls on Capcom for the whole licensing thing, which again, likely won't happen.  That's kind of the problem.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Ufgt

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 06:23:03 PM »
That's something that's always bothered me... I know capcom is a backwards ass company, but why in the world wouldn't they allow a league to run their game? And how did Dreamhack get SFIV into the lineup?What criteria/threshold does capcom wait for before they step in and say "yo, you need our permission now"?

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 11:23:43 PM »
That's something that's always bothered me... I know capcom is a backwards ass company, but why in the world wouldn't they allow a league to run their game? And how did Dreamhack get SFIV into the lineup?What criteria/threshold does capcom wait for before they step in and say "yo, you need our permission now"?

I think it's more Capcom Japan than anything.  Capcom USA would be more than willing to get behind that most likely as they see how much promotion the FGC can bring to their games.  Capcom Japan are very sturdy in their ways.  Besides, isn't there some law in Japan that says they can't run tourneys or whatever for money because it counts as gambling?  I mean, I know it'd have no effect on things happening here, but meh you never know.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

m1x4h

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2011, 05:55:45 PM »
But here's the thing, even as a whole, the FGC is somewhat splintered between games and different subtypes of FGs.  Why is this important?  Because Esports aren't going to take on ALL FGs, just the most popular ones.

As of now, that's AEv'12 and UMvC3...but considering the unlikelyhood of getting those due to licensing issues, then we move on.  eSports are also EXTREMELY unlikely to pick up any 2D games tbqh, so that takes out KOF and Blazblue.  That pretty much leaves the 3D Fighters, which is no surprise as the only two FGs supported by eSports were 3D Fighters.  Which means, more than likely Soul Caliber V and Tekken Tag 2 as the only candidates.

TBQH, anyone who doesn't play 3D Fighters should not get involved in this unless Capcom actually decides to deal with the licensing, which I doubt will happen.  I don't play them, so I personally should not have an opinion and rightfully so.
This is important to realize as well.
I don't know that I will say to get rid of sponsorships as a whole, but the FGC is way too diverse to accommodate everybody's games for coverage, and the united FGC that we are will be heavily divided. I enjoy hearing opinions from players that play unheard of FGs, as you can apply fundamentals these games to any game. The FGC is strongly linked like that, but if the community becomes the Street Fighter 4 community, and not the Fighting game community, we're going to miss out on a lot of this diversity. I believe the diversity is what makes us strong, and to have eSports get involved will cause us to lose that diversity. If anybody thinks that the old schoolers are elitest, like I've been called many times, what's going to happen when we have these elitist old school gamers, the elitist "pro gamers", and then everybody else? Fuck that... There's enough separation within the community, that we don't need another facet of segregation affecting it like that.
KoF13 Newbie: Mai/Ash/Kim
UMvC3: X23/Wesker/Sentinel
SF3: Akuma
MvC2: MSS
CvS2: C-Ken/Cammy/Blanka2
PSN: M1x4h

Ufgt

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 08:40:35 PM »
Fractured and diverse communities exist in every genre. I suppose calling it the FGC is too broad of a term since there ARE many different types of FGCs. But it's undeniable that SFIV and MvC3 are the biggest and most popular games in the genre, so it will have to be representative of the genre. Are they the BEST FGs? I don't think so, but it doesn't matter what I think, it's what the majority thinks.

As an example, I think the best RTS is Company of Heroes. But obviously, it will never reach the numbers that SC1/2 will reach, so pro leagues picked the most popular and obvious choice, which is fine. It's up to MLG to recognize that there are different groups within the FGC and plan accordingly.

Just take SFIV and SCV to cover both 2d and 3d. Lets see how they do.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 12:49:23 AM »
I think that the key difference is that at least how I perceive it, is that for example the FGC is far different from the SC community just for the fact that the first one embrace almost any game with 2 life bars, one meter bar, and a timer, while the second is just starcraft, sure maybe some players could play other RTS, but here their main focus is SC

If this goes e-sports, how many games will go there? will we see justing wong blasting on SF IV and then into UMVC3? how many brand new gamers we could see facing some sponsored guys who make a living on this, you will not expect to see for example seeing an random local football team beating some teams on the nfl or premier league, yesterday I was entertained on SF IV streaming if Iperu could reach the top

Finally, how this ''in the ghetto'' culture is bad for some, I could share that, if weren't because almost all the arcades came from the ghetto, this is in USA, Chile, an lots of other countries, don't know japan, but I doubt that is some sort of sophisticated entertainment

But then, we had another problem, how this guys could keep going to majors, if they could make a living playing videogames and at the same time had a normal life where  they could eat and do other things, it will be really cool if this guys could earn a living doing this, they could make their level better and maybe be more entertained, I will love to see Team Chaos, DC, Bala, Reynald, and others going into every major, but is a big sacrifice for them.

So Actually, I could see both points of view, I don't know if it's my cynical me, but I just can't see this working like everyone is expecting, lots of guys see this as the cinderella story where some company gives just money to play videogames, in part is true, but you had to consider the big risks of all of this, this will be like working and some liberties will be gone, and there is the risk that if you stop to be that good, they will more than likely to drop you, and you are done, as far as I know lots of guys are really bitter with this experience, I wish that some people could take this in consideration

But still, I think that we are already going into the e-sports route, judging the difference from the EVO 2010 to 2011 is a really big one, and I'm sure that we will note and every bigger difference next year, I wish that everything is ok for all of us, but I'm not that high on it honestly

Waifu Material

Rhythmaxed

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 10:03:28 AM »
Coming from a background of counter strike years back (stopped playing around 2k7) I don't get the big deal with being anti-esports. Everything is already heading in that direction already so no point in being stubborn about it.

The only people who should be worried are people who play fighters that aren't street fighter 4 and marvel. Since those are going to be the games those leagues focus on and where all the money will be going. I can totally see a similar problem that happened to pc games happen here. The games that don't get the spotlight end up having a very tough time getting decent competitive communities built around them as everybody flocks to where the real money is.

Then again that already happens now to non capcom games anyway.