Author Topic: Favorite controller/button layout  (Read 5790 times)

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Favorite controller/button layout
« on: November 11, 2011, 02:03:32 AM »
Something i've always been curious about as it seems a lot of people have a preference over just a standard arcade stick and button layout, so what is your favorite? Personally I prefer the standard PS2 controller with 2 face buttons(usually square and X) with R1 and R2 unless it's a six button game in which case I use all the face buttons.
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite controller/button layout
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 06:10:49 AM »
You mean for KOF, right?

Well I learned KOF on a pad, and I've always played with  ;a = X/square,  ;b = A / X,  ;c = Y / triangle, and  ;d = B / circle. Usually one of the right triggers is set to BC (or  ;e in NGBC / XI). One of the left triggers is always my taunt. Taunting is critical to success!

I'm happy to play KOF on any controller, be it DC, PS2, or Xbox. The PS2 probably has the best standard d-pad of them, but even it's not great. I wish the Saturn d-pad was the standard.

Delta

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 06:29:58 AM »
For some reason the arcades where i played Kof for the first time used to have this configuration:

;c ;d
 ;a ;b

So i got used to it, and when playing in a DualShock i set it to the same Rex said, but "rotated 90ยบ"

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 09:37:14 AM »
DualShock2. And I use default control scheme in every KOF. Which pisses me off, because they change place of roll and blowback attack in every game. But I'm lazy to change those.
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 04:05:43 PM »
The only controller I can play on with any degree of accuracy is the NeoGeo pad.

A C
B D

I wish the PS3 NG pads only had 4 face buttons.

omegaryuji

• Scion of Flame
  • And they called it puppy love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 05:16:28 PM »
I use a madcatz TE stick with:

B C D _
A _ _ Taunt

It's modded to work with PS1, PS3, and 360 (so, by extension, it also works on PS2, PC, and regular Xbox), so I haven't had to worry about system compatibilty since getting it.  Just need to get some better artwork for it eventually.
Old man/bad player

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 05:24:49 PM »
I generally use a PS2 NeoGeo stick and sometimes wander into controller territory. 96 is easier on a pad than on a stick for me (?).

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 11:15:23 PM »
The only controller I can play on with any degree of accuracy is the NeoGeo pad.

A C
B D

I used to play with a PS2 NeoGeo pad. I loved that control stick, but suddenly it stopped registering "forward" regularly. Broke my heart. :(

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 12:30:48 AM »

A C
B D

I used to play with a PS2 NeoGeo pad. I loved that control stick, but suddenly it stopped registering "forward" regularly. Broke my heart. :(

Did you try cleaning it? The open part around the stick does not protect the innards from dust and plastic shavings off of the stick itself. I have 2 for PS2 and 2 for PS3; I never want to run out.

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 05:25:59 AM »
Preferences for most 4-button layout (this includes MVC3, which causes me to change the button settings a lot whenever I'm at a friend's house):

A C
B D

6-button layout:

LP MP HP(L1)
LK MK HK(R1)

Guilty Gear (arcade stick only):

P K S
H

MaruchanSoup

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 10:12:57 PM »
I mostly play on stick, I play poorly on pad, but i use the default settings when i use it.

for KOF
AC
BD

for Guilty Gear

PSD
KH

for Blazblue

ABC
D

Arcana Heart

ABC
D E

the rest of the games i just use the default, lol

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 10:27:56 PM »
I mostly play on stick, I play poorly on pad, but i use the default settings when i use it.

Thats like the exact opposite of me where I struggle to do basic stuff on stick but do fine using a console controller.
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

darkTown2

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 10:57:26 PM »
one of the most annoying things from switching from pad to stick is that it actually takes quite a bit to get used to it, and it can be hard to play if you stop for a long while. Which tends to happen to me since i prefer pad.

i personally prefer the Dualshock 2 controller.
psn: darkTown2
kof 13: kyo,iori,k'

GuamoKun

• Rising Dragon
  • I MISSES YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 10:58:05 PM »
I use a ps3 pad.
A=x button
B=circle
C=square
D=triangle
BC=r1
CD=r2
AB=l2
Taunt=l1
Since this game doesn't really rely on numerical notation for attack buttons like Tekken or MK, its easier to be more lenient with button layout for me. Other than KoF, I always keep the controls at default.