Author Topic: KOF XIII 6th General Thread: Console Released edition  (Read 318972 times)

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 6th General Thread: Console Released edition
« Reply #855 on: January 02, 2012, 02:05:09 PM »
Well, GGPO was used for 3SOE but until Skull Girls comes out it has to be assumed that 3SOE was programmed by trained monkeys in a room.

And if Skullgirls netcode goes down...well we're all screwed.

But the thing is, about all netcodes.  The affects of delay or rollbacks become more drastic the better at the game you become.  When you're bad at the game, you won't notice it a lot or at all unless it's REALLY bad (my friend who doesn't really do FGs could feel the delay on Release MK9).  As you get better, and your timing improves and you use more advanced tactics, the delay or rollbacks become more and more apparent.

So maybe...we're asking the wrong questions.  Maybe we should find out exactly how far low players can feel the lag.  To try and word it better, let's see if we can find the consistent level between players good enough to be truly affected by lag, and those who don't really notice it as much. 

For this, we'd have to purposely avoid 4 Bar matches.

You have a good idea of what's going on in the netcode but 2 things you might want to think about.

1. This game has NO leniency for lag. Everything is split second. I played kof 96 on PSN with lag coming from my hookup (roommate hooked up the PS3 through the sound system then the tv) I could still play decently. He also plugged in the xbox the same way (fyi no I don't usually play this system) and the game is unplayable against someone who is decent at the game. It makes the old KOF's seem lag friendly. Any lag you get looks magnified compared to anything out there.

2. The memory usuage on this game is massive. When was the last time you remember dealing with load times in between matches for a fighting game? Tekken has already stated that their major problem with netcode was the amount of data being sent cause of the game being so data heavy. KOF is in the same boat so more then likely the big issue will be if Playmore can condense the data packets down. To which GGPO, Arc System and the other decent netcode games do not have a problem with (P.S. Street Fighter IV is 2.5 D so it's a little less data heavy then Tekken like the backgrounds for example.)
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

Tanner

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 02, 2012, 07:40:40 PM »

2. The memory usuage on this game is massive. When was the last time you remember dealing with load times in between matches for a fighting game? Tekken has already stated that their major problem with netcode was the amount of data being sent cause of the game being so data heavy. KOF is in the same boat so more then likely the big issue will be if Playmore can condense the data packets down. To which GGPO, Arc System and the other decent netcode games do not have a problem with (P.S. Street Fighter IV is 2.5 D so it's a little less data heavy then Tekken like the backgrounds for example.)

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I very well may be) but I thought the only thing being sent was the input data, everything else is client side.  This is the main reason a lot of people called "BS" when Seth said SF4 has too much data to send with GGPO netcode.

You called the person in question a baby and continued to insult him for little to no reason at all. That's not exactly a good way to get someone on your side.

I just wish everyone would stop playing shooters, period. It's getting real boring lately.

I hate to sound like a broken record here but maybe you should read the entire exchange before commenting.  If you still can't figure it out then there's no hope for you.  Either way, I'm beyond over it at this point.

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 02, 2012, 10:41:35 PM »
It's time to move on from this conversation.

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 02, 2012, 11:06:31 PM »
It's time to move on from this conversation.

NEST KYO in 8 Days! (US PS3 owner)

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 02, 2012, 11:17:32 PM »
Mr. Karate is out the same time as EX Kyo, right? Jan 10th.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: January 02, 2012, 11:24:06 PM »
Yes, sir! I'm getting both on 1/10.

FataCon

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: January 02, 2012, 11:25:40 PM »
It was actually pretty sad. NESTS Kyo was supposed to come out on my bday, but then they delayed him until January :(

leegray99

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 03, 2012, 12:13:42 AM »
I can cope with the lag if its not too bad.....but after playing several player games online today with no probs.....I decided to play some ranked matches and all 4 matches never even got underway before it lost connection...........checked my player data and my match completion percent has dropped.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 12:59:34 AM by leegray99 »

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 03, 2012, 12:38:22 AM »
Stop worrying about stats, they're pointless anyway.

Wish there was a way to clear player data (without losing unlockables) or hide stats :/
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 12:46:34 AM by Diavle »

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: January 03, 2012, 01:42:40 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I very well may be) but I thought the only thing being sent was the input data, everything else is client side.  This is the main reason a lot of people called "BS" when Seth said SF4 has too much data to send with GGPO netcode.

Harada is saying the same thing when asked about GGPO. To which I can understand cause if you follow supercade they even say on theirs that the formula used for CPS3 games is totally different then the other games cause of how much memory is involved in the game. I'm not positive on which part of the memory usage messes with it. But so many different netcodes complaining about it there has to be something to it.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: January 03, 2012, 03:20:06 AM »
The problem with Supercade is the delay. There's significantly more delay, especially for 3rd Strike. Just trying to parry in 3S on Supercade is a night and day experience. The timing is entirely different. Which is why everyone rightfully so trashes Supercade. 2DF was surprisingly better than GGPO, but had some sound bugs. What happened between 2DF and Supercade only Damdai can say.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: January 03, 2012, 06:18:47 AM »

Wouldn't be a problem if you were on the SEXbox 369.  ;)

I jest. I wanna see Serious Mr. Karate in action again.

Homies Over Shotos

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: KOF XIII 6th General Thread: Console Released edition
« Reply #867 on: January 03, 2012, 08:26:34 AM »

Wouldn't be a problem if you were on the SEXbox 369.  ;)

I jest. I wanna see Serious Mr. Karate in action again.

Sexbox you say?  By jigger i gotta get a piece oc dat.  Does it cosplay too? 

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: January 03, 2012, 08:53:46 AM »
The problem with Supercade is the delay. There's significantly more delay, especially for 3rd Strike. Just trying to parry in 3S on Supercade is a night and day experience. The timing is entirely different. Which is why everyone rightfully so trashes Supercade. 2DF was surprisingly better than GGPO, but had some sound bugs. What happened between 2DF and Supercade only Damdai can say.

Yeah I agree. I stopped playing it on Supercade cause it was so bad. The 360 version as bad as people make it out to be is WAY better then Supercade, I can at least feel comfortable parrying online with it.

Reason I brought it up was it was another person complaining about the memory used. I know other people made it work but it's a good example in my book for my earlier point.

Homies Over Shotos

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: January 03, 2012, 11:04:20 AM »

Yeah I agree. I stopped playing it on Supercade cause it was so bad. The 360 version as bad as people make it out to be is WAY better then Supercade, I can at least feel comfortable parrying online with it.

Reason I brought it up was it was another person complaining about the memory used. I know other people made it work but it's a good example in my book for my earlier point.

No the real funny thing is that people always hype up GGPO like it's a miracle netcode.  OH SAVE US GGPO SAVE US FROM CAPCOM AND SNK AND MAHVUL!  The reality of what GGPO is, is that it makes good connections better and shitty connections skip frames so it's technically the same since it just skips frames so if you know when to properly attack, then it's still near the same.  However GGPO does not compensate for shitty connections, wireless connections, asstastic metropcs internet.  I found it hilarious when people were stunned that GGPO wasn't a miracle and they were like "GGPO SUCKS.  SF4 has better netcode!"  Just made me laugh and laugh.