Author Topic: KOF XIII 6th General Thread: Console Released edition  (Read 319264 times)

LazieFreddy

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 6th General Thread: Console Released edition
« Reply #990 on: January 11, 2012, 11:29:10 AM »
Downloadable matches sounds like a pretty good compromise. The infrastructure would already be there to filter out scrub matches with the ranking system already in the game. Like that idea.

There is already a download match function in KOF 13, but it's limited to the monthly top 100.  You have to go to leaderboards and scroll to monthly top.  However, the matches there are kind of hit or miss.  As you know, the monthly top ranks only the total wins during a month, so the people at the top are not necessary top players, just top grinders.  Also not everyone chooses to upload their matches.

What I really want though, is an auto save match log like SF4.  Most of the time I don't save my matches, because I don't want the other side waiting while I'm taking my time to save replays.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 02:36:16 PM by LazieFreddy »

the7k

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: January 11, 2012, 11:39:16 AM »
So Xxenace is a Sexbox fanboy. And Genesis does what Nintendon't. I like this forum all the more everyday ;) . Genesis had better action games and beat 'em ups. It seems like people prefer the SNES more if they love RPG's....

I loved some RPGs, but a big reason I loved the SNES was because it had six buttons on it's pad. That was kinda important when a certain Capcom arcade hit got ported...

Genesis was personally my least favorite Sega system. I think it was great and all, but compared to the Saturn (best control pad ever, plus incredible arcade ports) and Dreamcast (even better arcade ports, plus Jet Grind Radio), just can't keep up.

As for future DLC characters - while there's been tons of "KOFXIII-style sprites" made by fans, SNK themselves showed off what Oswald, Momoko, Malin and Chang would have looked like in KOFXIII style. My guess is that these characters were planned for the game, but cut at some point due to time constants. Regardless, this means that they likely had some work done, so they might be able to finish them as full characters.

Personally, I think SNK is working on KOFXIV. Considering how the game sold out in Japan and is apparently hard to find in some parts of the states, I think the game has definitely been a success. I bet that Oswald, Momoko, Malin and Chang will just be in the next game, which is likely going to be a dream match (considering the Ash Saga is over - I bet all the members of Saiki's crew will just end up allying with Ron for a saga centered around him).

Looking at the new characters between KOFXII and KOFXIII, there's K', Kula, Maxima, Mai, Yuri, King, Takuma, Vice, Saiki, Billy, EX Kyo, EX Iori, Mr. Karate - 13 characters, or 8 if you don't count Vice, Saiki, EX Kyo, EX Iori or Mr. Karate as being full characters (as in, the reused many assets from certain characters present in KOFXII).

So, at least 8 characters will likely be in KOFXIV. I'm betting on (based on popularity - and the requirement that, as an Ash Saga dream match, they had to have shown up in KOF'2003, XI, XII or XIII):
Rookie Team: Momoko, Oswald, Malin.
Garou Team: Tizoc, B.Jenet, Gato.
Agent Team: Vanessa, Blue Mary, Ramon.

That's my bets, along with Adel returning as a 'final' boss and Rugal returning as the true final boss.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 11:45:18 AM by the7k »

sociald

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: January 11, 2012, 01:16:31 PM »
there r lots of nice characters in ur bets and really hope some ofthem ll come true.
what i was asking for (maybe the mods can say if it is possible or usefull to do it) is open a thread where we can put our preferences about the characters we want to see as dlcs ( if they ll ever be ) or the next episode (since it probably ll be a dream match it is not necessary to write them as a team).
dunno if this sort of list could be of any help to snkp following the system crapcom used asking fans their favorite characters, or if snkp already has an idea of who they ll move in cause of the story or whatever.

BioBooster

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: January 11, 2012, 01:46:18 PM »
Downloadable matches sounds like a pretty good compromise. The infrastructure would already be there to filter out scrub matches with the ranking system already in the game. Like that idea.

There is already a download match function in KOF 13, but it's limited to the monthly top 100.  You have to go to leaderboards and scroll to monthly top.  However, the matches there are kind of hit or miss.  As you know, the monthly top ranks only the total wins during a month, so the people at the top are not necessary top players, just top grinders.  Also not anyone choose to upload their matches.

Ask and it shall already be there. That's right, totally forgot about it after initially hearing about it before and never bothered to check. Thanks bro

ELTRO

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: January 11, 2012, 06:47:40 PM »
Well if there's a KOF 14 it would most likely be a dream match. Since 2k3 and 11 were part of the Ash Saga I see those character coming back along with other popular characters. I'd imagine  that they'll probably tweak or completely change the game's mechanics like in the previous entry.
Main team: K, Kyo, Iori(claw)
Secondary team: Ash, Robert, Shen
Third team: Ryo, EX Kyo, EX Iori (my 98 team)

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: January 11, 2012, 07:06:42 PM »
The thing about dream matches is that they have a lot of sprites being recycled or re-used, SNK doesn't have this option now. Bringing back certain characters just for the dream match would be a complete waste too. So a new saga is next I think.

One big reason I want a new saga more than a dream match is b/c SNK will introduce a brand new lead and other new characters, can't wait to see what they come up with, they are so damn good at it. I think the new lead will be female.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:12:14 PM by Diavle »

ELTRO

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: January 11, 2012, 07:24:04 PM »
True but there's also the chance of fan favorite of not returning. Considering how 13 ended we may not see Claw Iori in the next one which I really liked claw. Also dead character stay dead in KOF. Unless you're a ghost or some shit (Mature and Vice). I would like to see the Orochi team once more  :)

Killey

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: January 11, 2012, 07:33:21 PM »
Wasn't KoFXII considered a dream match?

KoFXIV would most likely be a dream match since due to story purposes they would have to scrap characters like Ash and Saiki and I think it would be a waste to toss a character like Saiki that they specifically made for the console version of XIII. On top of that, I think they would probably remove some teams to include other teams in the game. I can't really see Team Elisabeth returning in XIV. That being said I would be pretty pumped to see some brand new characters along side some older characters like Angel, Foxy, Vanessa, Whip, and Oswald.

In terms of new characters here's an old image that was put out during KoFXII development stage. The very bottom of the image had concepts for some new characters.

http://i26.tinypic.com/2qcme4o.jpg
http://i27.tinypic.com/1ieh78.jpg

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: January 11, 2012, 07:45:07 PM »
Those pics remind me of characters from KOF EX2 Howling Blood.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:00:05 PM by Mr Bakaboy »
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

ELTRO

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: January 11, 2012, 07:47:03 PM »
http://orochinagi.com/2012/01/kof-xiii-local-battles-ny-nj

Local Battle is having a tourney  for KOF 13, venue is free and it's a $10 entry. Read the link for further detail.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: January 12, 2012, 05:23:44 PM »
May as well ask here too:

What are some safe blockstrings with Hwa?

Is Slide (downtowards B) into B Dragon Tail safe? I tested it against 1 guard Jump and it seems pretty safe, I wouldn't put it past grapplers like Clark to punish it though. But I think you can fuck that up if you use Yomi with his C Grab Super.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

BioBooster

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: January 12, 2012, 06:04:21 PM »
True but there's also the chance of fan favorite of not returning. Considering how 13 ended we may not see Claw Iori in the next one which I really liked claw. Also dead character stay dead in KOF. Unless you're a ghost or some shit (Mature and Vice). I would like to see the Orochi team once more  :)

I would love to see team Orochi come back, love that team. Yashiro is probably my all-time kof fav, but have a feeling that normal Yashiro's fighting style would clash too much w shen's.

Good news for all might be that with how precious the current sprites are don't think they could afford to cut any out and may do something creative storyline-wise to keep everyone or just go dream match.

One thing I wonder about is system in the next iteration. IMO XIII's system is damn near perfect, wonder if they would go ruining that just for the sake of change.

sociald

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: January 12, 2012, 06:42:57 PM »

One thing I wonder about is system in the next iteration. IMO XIII's system is damn near perfect, wonder if they would go ruining that just for the sake of change.

thats what im scared of too ... this system is just too good soooo basic and perfectly working, hope they ll not ruin this with a gameplay like for example bb where u almost need meters even for choose a character
snkp leave the system as it is

Ashspiralingblood

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: January 12, 2012, 06:52:56 PM »
I rather have an updates along the line of ssf iv and bb cs, call it kof xiii plus or something, with story related characters like adel, heidern,shion, botan etc.... There is no point in naming it kof 14 since its kof 13 with more characters/stage and tweaked gameplay.

Damn snkp should really consider cell shading or 3d, cause i dont want to wait 5 years for a good game.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: January 12, 2012, 08:26:29 PM »
I rather have an updates along the line of ssf iv and bb cs, call it kof xiii plus or something, with story related characters like adel, heidern,shion, botan etc.... There is no point in naming it kof 14 since its kof 13 with more characters/stage and tweaked gameplay.

Damn snkp should really consider cell shading or 3d, cause i dont want to wait 5 years for a good game.

I can see where you're coming from with not wanting to wait 5 years before a KOF sequel, especially after remembering it being a yearly installment. But on the other hand, after living through the SFIV and BB update mayhem, I'd really prefer what they're doing this way.

Maybe it's best if XIV is a dream match, considering they've already got 30+ sprites to work from. Developing more from 03 and XI hopefully wouldn't be that much of a chore since, especially since a lot of the characters seem viable for the next saga - the Dragon Spirit/Hizoku clan saga I think. Lots of characters can tie to that somehow, including Duo Lon, Shen, Oswald, Malin, Shion, etc, so new sprites made in XIV can be used further into the series no problem. If XIV is a dream match, I'd hope that they figure out how to combine or include the best parts of XIII and XI for a great tag/balance gameplay.

Between the listed facts, how much attention the Dream Matches get, and how the next story arc game will change things up a great deal, best to let KOF mature for all the new fans. And lets hope it's no more than 3 years, which XIII will still be viable, and SNK will have at least started on other projects to look forward to.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995