Author Topic: Shen Woo (Console)  (Read 57328 times)

RobocopTwo

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: Shen Woo (Console)
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2013, 07:20:14 PM »
Just wanted to ask anyone here that might be able to do this consistently but I'm having trouble hitting the command grab into charged qcf+C in the corner consistently.

I find I get the non charged version alot as well as charging for too long and completely whiffing but are there any ticks or visual clue that people use to get the timing right? Any old thing that helps you get it more consistent would be great.

Thanks loads  :)

Malik

• Legendary Wolf
  • Student of this game called life....
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2013, 10:12:03 PM »
Just wanted to ask anyone here that might be able to do this consistently but I'm having trouble hitting the command grab into charged qcf+C in the corner consistently.

I find I get the non charged version alot as well as charging for too long and completely whiffing but are there any ticks or visual clue that people use to get the timing right? Any old thing that helps you get it more consistent would be great.

During the HD combo right, well you can usually visually see it but a tip that I do with sound it to wait until Shen grunts "UHHHH....." If there's no game sound to your access then after the command grab after doing 236 ;c, hold it for the bare minimum then continue the sequence. This shouldn't take too much practice (less than 15 minutes in training mode) as it's just a matter of timing so just grind it out & you should be ok. Always remember that there's always the change of human error so no one lands everything 100%.
"I used to be a christian then I met anime.. now i practice witchcraft and dark magics."
-Anony on Sankaku

RobocopTwo

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2013, 12:30:45 AM »

Thanks loads  :)

During the HD combo right, well you can usually visually see it but a tip that I do with sound it to wait until Shen grunts "UHHHH....." If there's no game sound to your access then after the command grab after doing 236 ;c, hold it for the bare minimum then continue the sequence. This shouldn't take too much practice (less than 15 minutes in training mode) as it's just a matter of timing so just grind it out & you should be ok. Always remember that there's always the change of human error so no one lands everything 100%.

Sorry Malik, It's not that I don't know the technique for it, it's that it just never seems to connect (maybe 1 in 20 attempts if I'm lucky) but maybe if I explain the problem I'm having it'll make more sense.

When I do st.C, f+B, HD st.C, f+B, grab I try to do qcf+C and charge it as you have figured out from my bad explaination before (sorry about that). If I try to input the qcf+C early and hold it to make sure I HD cancel on the earliest frame it messes up my charge time although, I can visually tell when he has charged enough. There seems to be a wierd point in between the initial punch (with 60 damage) and the charged version (for 80 damage) where you get the speed of the 60 damage version but 80 damage but I can't seem to hit that point at all really. Either way I know I probably just need to try and find that point consistently but I can't at the moment, I would probably find the audio clue useful but my speakers are broken so unfortunately that tip isn't getting me anywhere lol

Just want to confirm a few things though, I assume you do have to HD cancel at the earliest possible point after the grab right? If so do you use the hold button techniques or do you try to aim for the exact frame to HD cancel on? Also, can you do this point blank in the corner or does it have to ranged like the grab into qcf+D combo?

Guess I've got to keep on going on that one then  :(
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:00:28 AM by RobocopTwo »

Malik

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2013, 08:16:38 AM »

Thanks loads  :)

Sorry Malik, It's not that I don't know the technique for it, it's that it just never seems to connect (maybe 1 in 20 attempts if I'm lucky) but maybe if I explain the problem I'm having it'll make more sense.

When I do st.C, f+B, HD st.C, f+B, grab I try to do qcf+C and charge it as you have figured out from my bad explaination before (sorry about that). If I try to input the qcf+C early and hold it to make sure I HD cancel on the earliest frame it messes up my charge time although, I can visually tell when he has charged enough. There seems to be a wierd point in between the initial punch (with 60 damage) and the charged version (for 80 damage) where you get the speed of the 60 damage version but 80 damage but I can't seem to hit that point at all really. Either way I know I probably just need to try and find that point consistently but I can't at the moment, I would probably find the audio clue useful but my speakers are broken so unfortunately that tip isn't getting me anywhere lol

Just want to confirm a few things though, I assume you do have to HD cancel at the earliest possible point after the grab right? If so do you use the hold button techniques or do you try to aim for the exact frame to HD cancel on? Also, can you do this point blank in the corner or does it have to ranged like the grab into qcf+D combo?

Guess I've got to keep on going on that one then  :(

I personally don't use the hold button technique, I just practiced the timing until I got comfortable with it, to each it's own. Also you can do this point blank in the corner as well (I thought it wasn't possible until I practiced a few times to realize it actually is) & the timing feels no different to me.
"I used to be a christian then I met anime.. now i practice witchcraft and dark magics."
-Anony on Sankaku

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2013, 06:39:35 PM »

Guess I've got to keep on going on that one then  :(

I personally don't use the hold button technique, I just practiced the timing until I got comfortable with it, to each it's own. Also you can do this point blank in the corner as well (I thought it wasn't possible until I practiced a few times to realize it actually is) & the timing feels no different to me.

Hey RobocopTwo, it's been awhile.

I know what you're talking about and I could never get that combo to work, the Shen 3 stock HD kill combo (I know there's another one floating around but that is spacing specific).

Also I am curious if it's specific to Takuma and probably Terry since IIRC in the arcades, that's who
Shen could do a free non-drive canceled juggle off the command grab, in the corner (fall differently?)

mechanica

• New Challenger
  • *hic*
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2013, 07:34:49 AM »
cr.B xx st.A

Lets talk about this string. If you do cr.B cr.B cr.D, then try cr.B cr.B st.A(whiff), cr.D it's actually a tighter frame trap.

cr.B xN into run up cmd throw is a great setup but if its your only one it may become telegraphed.  The st.A whiff may help mix it up to keep them on their toes. I also think the standing up just adds a visual component - a lot of people do crouch A xx overhead for the visual or crouching shen into an overhead... I see high level Shen's sometimes do cr.B st.A cr.B x2-3 into HD confirm.
http://www.youtube.com/pantailamon
(check out the safejump playlist!)

Dynicksty

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2013, 04:52:13 PM »
I finally made a dreamcancel account...shoutouts to Malik. so to add to to the post above...

all shens should utilize the cr. B x2/3 x qcf a blockstring to test their opponents. if they block your cr. b, you will get st. a which will whiff if they crouch block or get blocked if they were holding up/back (+3 frame advantage). if your cr. b hits you can just tack on another qcf a or qcf AC after for a low hit confirm into his DM. this gives you damage on the rare occasions you're trying to make things happen without drive. of course if you're close enough you can do ex command grab as well.

so again the buffer is cr. b, cr. b, cr. b, qcf a, (if hit: qcf a/ac)

NissanZaxima

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2013, 07:03:15 PM »
Who is a good Shen player at utilizing his cr B -> St C link? Looking for ways or patterns to set it up. Most Shens I watch always have HD so anything low is just confirmed into that.
Seattle KOF

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2013, 07:21:08 PM »
cr. B to st. C? I just know of cr. B to cr. C that some players use. I know BALA used that a few times in the grand finals at evo last year. EVO 2012 - KOF XIII Grand Final - MadKOF vs. Bala
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Malik

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2013, 07:59:39 PM »
Who is a good Shen player at utilizing his cr B -> St C link? Looking for ways or patterns to set it up. Most Shens I watch always have HD so anything low is just confirmed into that.

Not self bragging or anything but I use that string pretty frequently & it is viable as well as doubling as a frame trap.
-Anony on Sankaku

NissanZaxima

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2013, 08:14:39 PM »

Not self bragging or anything but I use that string pretty frequently & it is viable as well as doubling as a frame trap.

You have any notable matches I can check out?
Seattle KOF

mechanica

• New Challenger
  • *hic*
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2013, 10:01:55 PM »
Check out Tenga/Tenkawa, he usually plays Shen on point so you'll see a lot more than just HD confirm. (Look for Shen/Duo Lon/Ash in the match vid document on the fb group :P)

Also check out cafeid archives - I see a lot of the korean Shen players using both that as well as stuff like st.C qcf+D frame trap into st.A or crouch C which I think is underutilized as well.
http://www.youtube.com/pantailamon
(check out the safejump playlist!)

Malik

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2013, 03:52:19 PM »

You don't need to watch any matches to know how useful it is, just go to training mode & put the dummy on 1-Guard Jump & see for yourself how useful it is.
-Anony on Sankaku

NissanZaxima

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2013, 08:13:29 PM »

You don't need to watch any matches to know how useful it is, just go to training mode & put the dummy on 1-Guard Jump & see for yourself how useful it is.

So no matches?
Seattle KOF

Malik

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2013, 06:56:47 PM »

So no matches?

Wait I don't get what you are asking for. Are you asking for people to play with or are you asking for match footage where people use the  ;dn ;b;st ;c frame trap or a certain players matches? If you're looking for the ladder, as I mentioned before, it's not necessary to know how useful it is when you can follow the steps I mentioned previously.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 06:58:54 PM by Malik »
-Anony on Sankaku