Author Topic: Hwa Jai (Console)  (Read 87395 times)

Blake/White

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Hwa Jai (Console)
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2012, 06:35:37 AM »

I mainly use it to go through fireballs and then do an 850+ combo for 1 drive and 0 stock. It's quite broken.

I'm seconding Cipher here, care to share? I think max I've gotten with no stock is closer to the 600s. Higher than that and you need another Drive cancel.

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2012, 09:13:23 AM »
I guess saying 1 drive and 0 meter might have been slightly off. Hwa CAN indeed get over 850 starting from a D shoryu at the cost of only 80% drive (still a decent amount less than an HD combo costs) and 0 meter (I don't know of any meterless HD combos that deal over 850 damage), and it's really very practical (I have done it in actual matches many times before), but not as practical as some other options.

For starting a combo with 50% drive + 1 meter Hwa can get up to 712 starting from shoryu while drunk. Still quite good. That's dp+D, [DC] qcb+D, qcb+D, qcb+Bx3, EXDM. Works from about 4/5ths of the way to the corner. So if you have someone trying to zone you while you're about 1/2 screen away and they're nearly cornered, you can get them with 712 for very little effort.

From anywhere (even if Hwa is cornered) you can get 648 damage starting from D shoryu. This requires 50% drive and at least 1.1 meter while drunk. This is dp+D, [DC] qcb+Bx4, EXDM.

That's basically what you should most often do after D shoryu.

How do you do that 850 damage? Because if I do D SRK midscreen I can DC B Dragon Tail and can't follow up with much else except B Dragon tail until I have them in the corner, B SRK, cancel into D Dragon tail and Super.

dp+D, [DC] qcb+Bx4, dp+B, [DC] qcb+D, qcb+D, qcb+Bx3, EXDM is 824 and you gain back 1.9 stock for the combo, works literally from anywhere. So if you started that combo with just 0.1 stock you could finish with EXDM.

dp+D, [DC] qcb+D, qcb+D, qcb+Bx3, dp+B, [DC] qcb+D, qcb+D, qcb+Bx3, EXDM deals 855 and builds up 2.2 stock. You build more than it even costs. This is pretty do-able in real matches actually. When you have somebody cornered, you can pressure with far D and far B into d/f+B, and if they try to do anything to get out of the corner, hit them with that D shoryu. It's got LOADS of invulnerable frames, so you can use it to go through some ridiculous stuff, like Goro's dp+D or most other reversals.

I have some frame data for console Hwa, but just to confirm what frames count as the end/start?

For example opponent blocks a D Dragon Tail (2 hits), using the 1-guard-jump technique I can count (60fps) 2 minus frames then on the 3rd frame Hwa can do something (block/dp etc).

Is that minus 2 frames recovery or 3 for that move? Thx. At the moment I'm assuming it's minus 2 frames since the 3rd frame he is able to do something.

As for this, it seems that the drunk D dragon tail is 3 hits vs standing opponents. It's quite hard to test this against the training dummy since it seems that they like to low block D dragon tail if you set them to all-guard. It only works at certain ranges, but I'm pretty sure that close C, d/f+B, qcb+D gets you 3 hits midscreen, and qcb+D will always be 3 hits in the corner if they're standing. It's tight but you can indeed do close C after qcb+D and keep them in blockstun if the dummy is set to 1 guard-jump.

And the moral is... don't put Hwa on first, keep him drunk at all times and he's probably the single scariest character in the whole game.

EDIT: To add on to this massive post, dp+D, [DC] qcb+D, qcb+D, qcb+Bx3, dp+B, [DC] qcb+D, qcb+D, qcb+Bx3, dp+B deals 691 and causes 96 (!!!) stun, so there's a very high chance that you'll stun your opponent during this combo, turning it into a potential death combo.

tl;dr: Just read the bolded section if you want to know how to get 855 damage from an invulnerable shoryu.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:43:49 AM by Matt Alder »

Blake/White

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2012, 02:15:14 PM »
Ok, that sounds more in line with what I'd found initially. And yes, drunk Hwa is the reason I always run him second.

Shaman

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2012, 05:01:57 PM »
You can add qcf+A after the qcb B * 3 if you cornered the opponent (which is pretty common because you push him a lot with dp.D, qcb.B x3), gives you more meter, I think it's basically giving you one meter so you can always add the DM if you start this combo and you finish it on the corner. Drunk Hwa is god.

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2012, 06:46:45 PM »
If I do qcf+A after qcbx3 I can't seem to link an EXDM or dp+B after it. Is that just a meterless finisher, or is there something I'm missing?

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2012, 06:49:53 PM »
Did you do the TNT Punch extender?
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2012, 06:58:18 PM »
I don't think you can combo after the followup against launched opponents, at least as far as I've seen.

I got qcf+A to link to EXDM though, but it's very tight. I think I can get used to it, so it's adding some nice stun to his combos, and a whole 9 extra damage! Heh, Thanks for that.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:02:25 PM by Matt Alder »

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2012, 04:30:48 AM »

dp+D, [DC] qcb+Bx4, dp+B, [DC] qcb+D, qcb+D, qcb+Bx3, EXDM is 824 and you gain back 1.9 stock for the combo, works literally from anywhere. So if you started that combo with just 0.1 stock you could finish with EXDM.

dp+D, [DC] qcb+D, qcb+D, qcb+Bx3, dp+B, [DC] qcb+D, qcb+D, qcb+Bx3, EXDM deals 855 and builds up 2.2 stock. You build more than it even costs. This is pretty do-able in real matches actually. When you have somebody cornered, you can pressure with far D and far B into d/f+B, and if they try to do anything to get out of the corner, hit them with that D shoryu. It's got LOADS of invulnerable frames, so you can use it to go through some ridiculous stuff, like Goro's dp+D or most other reversals.

Yeah, that's pretty legit. I was already doing a variation of the first combo. I can't seem to do 4 B Dragon Tails after the DC though, so I just settle for 3 including the DC. Not a huge difference in damage. The 2nd combo is legit but you might want to add a note saying it's corner only.  For me I can get about 816 damage and 72 stun. Pretty massive all things considered.

I tend to get drunk (god that sounds awesome) and D SRK them everytime they jump or throw any kind of projectile. Works pretty well. I might even run Hwa 3rd and Billy 1st and Clark 2nd.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 04:39:34 AM by LouisCipher »
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2012, 10:40:08 AM »

Yeah, that's pretty legit. I was already doing a variation of the first combo. I can't seem to do 4 B Dragon Tails after the DC though, so I just settle for 3 including the DC. Not a huge difference in damage. The 2nd combo is legit but you might want to add a note saying it's corner only.  For me I can get about 816 damage and 72 stun. Pretty massive all things considered.

I tend to get drunk (god that sounds awesome) and D SRK them everytime they jump or throw any kind of projectile. Works pretty well. I might even run Hwa 3rd and Billy 1st and Clark 2nd.

Yeah, I also run Hwa last on my team (EX Kyo or Andy, Claw Iori, then Hwa), all the meter and drive he can get helps him out, though as 2nd he certainly has enough to deal some broken damage. He's really got nothing in terms of combos if he has no drive and can't get drunk. His tools are lacking too, neither of his shoryus have invuln and he can't end his combos in knockdown or with any setup for oki. His pressure is also less safe.

Basically it seems to me that all sober Hwa is able to do is poke with his kicks and his stand or air CD and play keepaway until he has the meter he needs to get drunk. It's his only real flaw, aside from this I would call him the strongest middle or anchor character in the game.

EDIT: Note that drunk D shoryu as anti air works well, but it's extremely hard to get the DC to j.qcb+B to work every time, since various characters and heights require different timing. If you have the meter for it, you can rely on dp+D linking to EXDM as soon as you land if your dp+D hits anti air. It costs 0 drive and deals tons of damage (off the top of my head I would bet somewhere in the 400 range). It works anywhere, but it's easier to link in the corner. Also pretty sure you can do regular DM in the corner, not sure about midscreen.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:46:09 AM by Matt Alder »

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2012, 11:55:19 AM »

EDIT: Note that drunk D shoryu as anti air works well, but it's extremely hard to get the DC to j.qcb+B to work every time, since various characters and heights require different timing. If you have the meter for it, you can rely on dp+D linking to EXDM as soon as you land if your dp+D hits anti air. It costs 0 drive and deals tons of damage (off the top of my head I would bet somewhere in the 400 range). It works anywhere, but it's easier to link in the corner. Also pretty sure you can do regular DM in the corner, not sure about midscreen.

Yeah, I found that out against EX Kyo. It seems like if he super jumps your DC B Dragon Tail is more likely to whiff. I've only had it happen against EX Kyo though.

Shaman

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2012, 12:29:35 PM »
I think his best bnb without being drunk and using drive is d.B, s.B, df.B, qcf,hcb+A it does around 300 and hard knockdown.
His air attack hitting the lowest is D, you can do some safe jumps after the backbreaker with the right timing and an hyperhop D on them

KoF XIII : 1st Kyoto Tournament ( 2012/01/21 ) [Part 23]

KoF XIII : 1st Kyoto Tournament ( 2012/01/21 ) [Part 20]
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:36:08 PM by Shaman »

Blake/White

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2012, 07:27:28 PM »
TNT Punch gives a limited juggle state. You can connect with anything you like, as long as it's fast enough. Once they fall a certain height, they can't be juggled.

In most cases with these combos, you are better served using regular DM instead of EXDM. The damage difference is usually negligible (maybe 40 points max) and the extra bar left over would be much better saved for more drunk shenanigans or keeping a Backbreaker in your pocket.

Example:

DP+D Drive cancel air QCB+D, QCB+D, QCB+Bx3, QCF+A, DP+B Drive cancel QCB+D, QCB+D, QCB+D, QCB+Bx3, TNT Punch in the corner, ending with regular DM here will do 820, while EX DM does 862.

Now, if you save the bar, your opponent only has about 180 life left, so a single basic combo or a Backbreaker will end them. If you used the extra bar, you got 42 extra damage, but you don't have the Backbreaker option available. This limits your options somewhat, both offensively and defensively.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2012, 07:32:12 PM »
Things like this make me wish I could actually play Hwa Jai.  His DP feels so freaking loose it's annoying.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2012, 08:14:08 PM »
His SRK is a little too easy to accidentally get out, either that or his QCFx2 Super. That's my only problem with him.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2012, 08:47:23 PM »
That's pretty much my problem with him too.  His inputs seem way looser than everyone else.