Author Topic: Hwa Jai (Console)  (Read 87393 times)

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: Hwa Jai (Console)
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2012, 09:17:16 PM »
I have listed many Hwa combos in this thread, including one 1k+ damage combo http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=2019.0

also this, which is an extension of the combo that I posted earlier (mine is shorter due to... never ever needing over 1k damage in a single combo):

KOF XIII [Hwa Combo DMG 1238]

As for HD combos that deal over 1k, he has a really easy one in the corner that costs drink+2 meter. Drink, j.C, qcb+B, c.C, d/f+B [HD activate], c.C, d/f+B, dp+D HDC qcb+D, qcb+D, (dp+B HDC qcb+D, qcb+D) looped until nearly out of time and then NeoMax (make sure they're close to the ground or else the full NeoMax won't connect), it deals over 1k for sure, I don't have the exact numbers (because I never bother with HD combos on Hwa... quite pointless) but it's a really easy loop.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:23:12 PM by Matt Alder »

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2012, 05:27:43 AM »
Question for Matt: How do you consistently get jump D, B Dragon Tail, and downforward B Slide? Because the controls are so finnicky when landing that Slide and even then it's likely to accidentally get a Super or B  SRK out as you do it. I've tried substituting the slide with cr.C or st.C with little success, if I have them in the corner it's no problem but midscreen feels totally random if I can link C to D SRK.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2012, 08:34:56 PM »
d/f+C to d/f+B is the most consistant way to do it after j.D, j.qcb+B. If you use d/f+C, you won't accidentally get the shoryu. To be honest midscreen I mostly just use j.D, cr.C, d/f+B since the j.qcb+B has a fair bit of pushback on it. I only add the j.qcb+B if I know I'm really damn close to them while I'm landing.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2012, 03:07:55 AM »
Yeah, only in the corner the Jumping D, Dragon Tail B into whatever will work 100% of the time.

Any interesting Grab Super setups you can think of? The one's I got:

B Sweep at just within mid-screen distance, C Grab Super.

Jumping D, B Dragon Tail, C Grab Super.

B Sweep, B Dragon Tail, C Grab Super.

That and the generic poke standing B or whatever, make them think you're going to do standing D and C Grab Super.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:27:21 AM by LouisCipher »

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2012, 05:26:18 PM »
Actually, a thing that most people don't know about Hwa is that his s.A hits crouchers. He can just hold forward and poke with A for a bit and use that to basically tick-throw... sort of. The C grab DM is basically just really good for taking out fireballs from certain characters, like Benimaru, for example, whose fireball will trade with almost every shoryu, but gets beaten outright by Hwa's C grab DM.

Blake/White

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2012, 05:31:23 AM »
C grab can be used as anti-hop/anti-air sometimes too. Really nasty tool if used right, though not as powerful as A grab.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2012, 06:07:37 AM »
^^ Yeah, I saw that at a tourney. Guy did a jump in attack, Hwa got drunk and because of the invincibility from being drunk was able to do C Grab Super and nailed 'em.

KCs NOTORIOUS

• New Challenger
  • Gettin Better
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2012, 06:44:14 PM »
I'm doing okay with hwa so far because his normals are beast. but i'm still finding it hard to get in with him sometimes. I know his drunk mode is good for increased damage, but is there anything that's great about it, like does he get more invincible? because i've gotten drunk and did light dragon tails but am still able to get thrown out of them and tryin to do them air to air against like a k' CD or even a jump in light from anybody seems to fail miserably.

Also if there is a good link to a hwa video let me know. I saw a pretty good hwa bein played from some guy (not sure of his name due to asian writing) against tokido. It's on sparkster's twitch account  I believe. He also has a pretty good series about how to play in general. i'm sure you can get the link if you follow him on twitter.
Steam Id: KCsNOTOR1OUS
Midwest KoF rep

"No Justice, Just Us"

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2012, 01:42:13 AM »
I'm doing okay with hwa so far because his normals are beast. but i'm still finding it hard to get in with him sometimes. I know his drunk mode is good for increased damage, but is there anything that's great about it, like does he get more invincible? because i've gotten drunk and did light dragon tails but am still able to get thrown out of them and tryin to do them air to air against like a k' CD or even a jump in light from anybody seems to fail miserably.

Just a note (I didn't realize it either until I read it on here) when Drunk, Hwa's D SRK has almost total invincibility and will go through anything on wakeup and easily go through projectiles. If you have Drive Cancel it's a free setup to 500-900 Damage depending on how much meter you have.

Hwa's Dragon Tails are unsafe on block, if you do an air Dragon Tail I believe it's safe, or about as safe as Terry's B Crack Shoot. You could also do CD (and btw it's invincible to low attacks) and if they block it you can cancel it into Drunk Mode.

The general strategy is if you're on the ground to get drunk, use D SRK to go through their shit or if they jump. Use a combination of standing D, CD, pokes, Grab Supers, etc.

If you look through the thread you can find more than a few vids showing how BA he is.

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2012, 02:45:21 AM »
Indeed the D shoryu has a TON of invulnerability, and goes through anything ground or air based. It can go through fireballs, normals, even grabs and other shoryus. It's truly an amazing move. Also Hwa's qcb+D is +5 or +6 on block, meaning that you can't be punished at all if you use it during pressure, though many characters have invulnerable shoryus or other attacks that can beat it if you use it predictably.

I have done quite a lot of work on the Hwa wiki page recently, check it out here: http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hwa_Jai_%28XIII%29 and if you have anything to add, let me know. I'm still working on revamping the entire combo section listed there. It's somewhat... underwhelming right now, but the info on his specials and normals is there, as well as some decent combos, gameplay overview and I'll soon be adding strategies/mixups like I have with the Andy page.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2012, 03:22:13 PM »

I have done quite a lot of work on the Hwa wiki page recently, check it out here: http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hwa_Jai_%28XIII%29 and if you have anything to add, let me know. I'm still working on revamping the entire combo section listed there. It's somewhat... underwhelming right now, but the info on his specials and normals is there, as well as some decent combos, gameplay overview and I'll soon be adding strategies/mixups like I have with the Andy page.

Thanks for the good work, what you have been writing is great.

But is there a reason why you removed the his master class video? I believe it is good reference material even though you cannot understand the commentary, plus it shows people the moves performed and what they can do. KOFⅩⅢ 練習対戦研究実況プレイ 012 ホア・ジャイ① (Hwa Jai Master Class)

If you are going to add or remove anything, please post here before you do with a reason why.

Thanks.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2012, 06:49:26 PM »
Sorry, I'll put it back on there. After watching it I just felt like it was too outdated and didn't actually have much useful information in it. But of course someone may find it useful.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2012, 07:03:23 PM »
Thanks for your cooperation. If you find any videos (or make any of your own) that you feel is useful, feel free to share them, then add them. :)
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2012, 06:08:17 AM »
Good shit Matt. As you know, I dig grapplers so I'll probably add some dirty C Grab Super setups to the wiki in a while.

I believe Hwa's jumping B Dragon Tail and B SRK are safe on block, is that right? I think I found another dirty C Grab setup: Jumping crossup B SRK (has to be done really close to them) then standing D, as they land wait about a second than C Grab Super.

Also; I discovered while Drunk Hwa can combo off of A or B (crouching or standing) into D SRK... That's gonna' be scary. Especially because as you said, st.A is an overhead. For whatever reason he cannot combo off of cr.A into D SRK in regular mode. So it's another thing to keep in mind if you're doing dash in cr.B and cr.A pressure with him.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:23:57 AM by LouisCipher »

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2012, 06:35:16 PM »
B shoryu and B Dragon Tail are both unsafe on block. B Dragon Tail is just -1 so it can be punished with grab, but B shoryu... is fully punishable.

Stand A is not an overhead, it just hits crouching characters. It's still a normal hit. It's just interesting because most characters' stand As will whiff against crouching characters.

As for light normals into D shoryu, that's interesting. I guess his D shoryu is a fair bit faster to come out when he's drunk? That's pretty cool. I guess I never bothered to try it because all of his normals can just cancel into d/f+B into D shoryu anyways. But you could use those st.A and st.B into D shoryu setups to beat CD guard cancels if you're quick enough.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 06:39:18 PM by Matt Alder »