Author Topic: Hwa Jai (Console)  (Read 87418 times)

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: Hwa Jai (Console)
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2012, 05:12:21 PM »
Seriously, the Dragon Backbreaker. Just try to remember that you have it. Hwa is maybe the very best character in the game for opening up turtles if you get used to this. It's also one of the reasons he's not easy to play, because you have to play a rushdown character AND a grappler at the same time.

All of Hwa's pokes (aside from st.D) give him advantage on block and lead to big damage if they connect... So people naturally want to turtle if he's drunk and they know that he can easily take off 700+ of their life with one random hit. Since st.A cannot be crouched, gives advantage on block and is cancellable into itself or into d/f+B it lets you pressure extremely well, and you can mix it up into the grab DM for 340 damage.

Think of it like this; if you drink and people start to turtle, then you're controlling the match. It means they're scared. You'll build up more than 2 meters during the pressure you put on while you're drunk for 15 seconds (so long as you're not spending additional meter), meaning you're losing nothing. The drink sets you up for ideal conditions to land a grab.

Suiname

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2012, 08:06:42 PM »
Hwa Jai is such a bastard.  Picked him up a couple weeks ago and never looking back.  He is an amazing middle character.  I'm still getting used to the whole grappling aspect of him, I really need to master that, but the combo damage is just absolutely ludicrous.  After watching all the stun combos on the wiki, I messed around found you can get a stun combo off a counterhit CD from midscreen as long as you're drunk.  While this is probably real match impractical, it's still nuts. 

One thing I'm kind of confused about though is some of his aerial tools.  I was reading through the backlog here and it seems that air dragon kick (b version) crosses up sometimes?  that seems amazing.  I'm confused as to weather the aerial version of dragon kick is safe on block though (some said no upthread, but wiki notes it as +4).  What about the air B dragon tail?  Also listed upthread as unsafe, the wiki says "max 7," which I'm not sure what that means (+7 from max range?).  Once I get down more of his aerial pressure game, grappling, and cross up setups, I think my hwa jai will be mad scary.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 24, 2012, 08:43:59 PM »
Yes, Air B Dragon Kick is safe on block, as is Air B Dragon Tail.  By max 7, it means that the max Frame Advantage from an Air B Dragon Tail on block is +7 (aka, landing it EXTREMELY deep).
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Suiname

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 24, 2012, 09:08:22 PM »
wow.  Time to abuse the hell out of that.  Thanks for the the clarification.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2012, 09:11:45 PM »
Yes, abuse it all day and night.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2012, 07:47:20 PM »
Any suggestions for how to consistently get his Downfoward B Slide to come out? Because if I try to combo into it, it just seems like the game does what it wants... I'm getting better at landing it (like for example st.A then the Slide into whatever) but I still randomly get cr.B or B SRK more often than I should.

I was playing Hwa again in training and just examining his options and it occurred to me he has probably the scariest mixup in the game, and very similar to 3rd Strike Akuma. As far as tiers he needs to be sandwiched between Beni, EX Iori, and Shen.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

MAASKYO

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 28, 2012, 12:48:59 PM »
sorry if any one mentioned it before but i like doing (while drunk) blocked slide    ;df ;b to qcb+ ;d...it's hits  in the other side  like a cross up..
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:50:42 PM by MAASKYO »

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 28, 2012, 06:12:36 PM »
Any suggestions for how to consistently get his Downfoward B Slide to come out? Because if I try to combo into it, it just seems like the game does what it wants... I'm getting better at landing it (like for example st.A then the Slide into whatever) but I still randomly get cr.B or B SRK more often than I should.

I was playing Hwa again in training and just examining his options and it occurred to me he has probably the scariest mixup in the game, and very similar to 3rd Strike Akuma. As far as tiers he needs to be sandwiched between Beni, EX Iori, and Shen.

I've gotten the B shoryu instead of the slide a couple of times... I think it's just sloppy inputs. Just let the stick/pad go completely neutral between your normal and the slide, and it should never give you a shoryu. I don't really have any tips, though you CAN do d/f+C, d/f+B and it's pretty reliable, and you'll never mess up your d/f+B again with that.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 29, 2012, 12:05:22 AM »
I see what you mean but st.A doesn't give you a lot of hitstun, so you have to act quickly if that hits.

Anyone know if his B Slide input was changed at all in Climax?

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2012, 01:14:04 PM »
Nope... It's the same... Hwa imo is the second best right after Karate... Playing against Matt, god knows how many times i get hit with random things that take off 60-80% life with just 1 drive... Latest was trying to go for hop pressure and Matt randomly threw out qcb+B... It hit me during my hop from mid-screen .........aaaaand he kept going with 2 more qcb+B to corner me... Then 1 drive cancel and free meter building later i lost 80%... I had a few sips of coffee while while watching this... lol...
KOFXIII - Raiden, Billy, Mai, Karate, Kim, Ralf, Ryo, Robert

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

SaMsTarOth t3h mAsTarOth of AsTarOth...!

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2012, 07:57:50 PM »
Ah yes. Hwa Jai random hits are fun. I still need a lot of work, though. Playing Hwa sometimes feels like you're playing Chin, Shen and Goro at the same time.

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2012, 11:46:50 PM »
Ah yes. Hwa Jai random hits are fun. I still need a lot of work, though. Playing Hwa sometimes feels like you're playing Chin, Shen and Goro at the same time.
thats so true... I'm such a shitty Hwa... I either focus on just landing grab DM... Or just poking... Or just fishing to hit dp+D... Doing them all at the same time is super hard... On top of that you have to always watch the time or keep count of it to keep drunk mode in check... IMHO Hwa is the hardest character in tur game to play to his fullest potential (execution aside... That title is for Ash)
KOFXIII - Raiden, Billy, Mai, Karate, Kim, Ralf, Ryo, Robert

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

SaMsTarOth t3h mAsTarOth of AsTarOth...!

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 31, 2012, 02:29:44 AM »
Hwa is hard to use because you have to keep in mind all of his options available in every situation, and he has TONS of tricks and Yomi.

Suiname

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 31, 2012, 05:53:16 PM »
Hwa is also hard because you have to constantly be gaining and spending meter for drunk mode.  I usually do backdash qcb b to gain meter.  It builds meter pretty fast and is usually safe if you are far enough away.  Anyone else have any good meter tactics?

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 01, 2012, 02:34:17 AM »
That backdash+qcb+B is really good for meter building, and whiffing qcf+A,qcf+A builds a lot as well. In fact I think it builds twice as much, since it's technically two moves. I usually don't have issues with meter since I pressure pretty often with him, and he gains back a shitload of meter just from pressure. st.D, cr.D, st.A and d/f+B poke pressure is good enough for me. I usually don't want to make much space between me and my opponents. And it helps that I don't put him on first. I really would not suggest putting him on first. Aside from that, his combos generate more meter than they cost while Hwa is drunk, so all you actually need is drinking meter, and maybe having 1 spare in your back pocket for a grab DM.