Author Topic: King (Console)  (Read 64041 times)

Ryujin

• Rising Dragon
  • Not going anywhere for a while? Use V-Slasher
    • View Profile
    • Fah-che-book
Re: King (Console)
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2012, 07:25:37 PM »
I've been using the EX Trap Shot as my general dp, but I noticed on the wiki that EX tornado kick has invinc frames too. Any thoughts on when and where to use each in response to pressure (in corner, on wakeup, responding to hops)?

EX Trap Shot works better as a hop/jump anti-air. EX Tornado Kick is generally good for blowing through non-Super projectiles, I forget if it beats EX projectiles. Watch out on wakeup and when cornered though, since neither are remotely safe on block.
360: Ryujinflame, playing XIII
FB|Twitter

Mazinkaiser

• Strongest Tiger
  • Debiru Mashin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2012, 07:44:03 PM »
I've been using the EX Trap Shot as my general dp, but I noticed on the wiki that EX tornado kick has invinc frames too. Any thoughts on when and where to use each in response to pressure (in corner, on wakeup, responding to hops)?

EX Trap Shot works better as a hop/jump anti-air. EX Tornado Kick is generally good for blowing through non-Super projectiles, I forget if it beats EX projectiles. Watch out on wakeup and when cornered though, since neither are remotely safe on block.

I like also to punish whiff heavy normal, keep in mind if someone is trying something stupid xD

Ryujin

• Rising Dragon
  • Not going anywhere for a while? Use V-Slasher
    • View Profile
    • Fah-che-book
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2013, 05:36:17 PM »
I got curious the other day on King's Neomax, and wanted to run a little experiment. We all know it's a poor move to throw out in the open, or add to combos (save after an HD combo ending in EX Surprise Rose), but the fact that it's got 0-1 frame startup means she potentially has an instantaneous punish to unsafe blockstrings. So I'm going to try running this move as a counter to moves that are used in blockstrings and are relatively safe, but should be punishable by this to see where and if it can be used. Here's what I gathered from yesterday against Kim:

Claw Iori:
- Blockstring ending in qcb+C/AC: 13 hits up close (s.C starter), 14 if started far (d.B, d.A, f+A). Gets 15 if he uses d.Bx2, d.A, f+A!
- Blocked df+C: 12-13 hits. Probably not reliable but not punishable with EX Surprise Rose.
- qcb+D: 13-15 hits depending on distance after the move (best if blocked further). Can't imagine him using this when he also has the EX version (neutral on block), but if he advances with this it can be punished.
- Blocked air b+B: 12-13 hits. Punishable but hard to block and punish, not really worth it.

Kim:
- cr.Bx2, st.B (st.B -6) - Pretty reliably gets 15 hits.
- cr.Bx2 (cr.B +0), Gets 15 hits most of the time, max distance second cr.B sometimes resulted in only 13 hits. Need to check if this can be done between a second cr.B and a st.B, probably just easier to watch for a st.B.
- far D, cr.B, st.B - Pretty reliably gets 15 hits.

Granted this may only be useful as a game-finisher, but every little bit helps, right?

Also as you might guess, this loses effectiveness if King has an opponent cornered, as you don't get all the bubbles.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 05:06:23 AM by Ryujin »
360: Ryujinflame, playing XIII
FB|Twitter

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2013, 06:17:39 PM »
^ This is a good idea, Ryujin. Keep us in the loop with your findings. Since I play with King, I might join you and see what I find, haha.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

SuperVehicle001

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2013, 04:04:12 PM »
I'm having trouble getting King's j.D cl.D df+D -> hcb+B

Over all I have problems trying to cancel anything into or out of Tornado Kick '95. Usually Trap Shot pops out or a Venom Strike. Any tips on making these fundamental moves easier to execute? Even with inputs shown in screen I seem to do things wrong...

Also, is it possible to hit with a  ;d Venom Strike in air after a j.CD when it is NOT a counter hit?
PSN: MetalSlugIV

"The future is not determined by the throw of the dice; it is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
-Phong

selfReg

• Scion of Flame
  • Plateau of Invincibility
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel UK
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2013, 04:14:44 PM »
as with every character, unless the special has anywhere-juggle properties (which Venom Strike does not) it won't connect after a non-counter hit air normal which is essentially resets them.

regarding execution, it could be that you're just not used to timing the cancels properly. Make sure to watch some King matches and get it down. It would also be useful to learn about "positive edge" or the button holding technique for specials to come out easier. Juicebox made a video about it on YouTube.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 04:17:51 PM by MezzoForte »
KOFXIII: N-Robert, Ryo, R2 Takuma

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2013, 07:28:46 PM »
I'm having trouble getting King's j.D cl.D df+D -> hcb+B

Over all I have problems trying to cancel anything into or out of Tornado Kick '95. Usually Trap Shot pops out or a Venom Strike. Any tips on making these fundamental moves easier to execute? Even with inputs shown in screen I seem to do things wrong...

If you are getting a Trap Shot or a Venom Strike when you're meaning to get a Tornado Kick, then that means you aren't completing the hcb motion accurately at all. You have to put in all those directional inputs too, rather clearly...

SuperVehicle001

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2013, 07:33:59 PM »
I turned on the input display to help diagnose my problem. I realized I was spazing out on the buttons so fast I was trying to force the hcb from df.D and pressing  ;b before the hcb even completed. The input looked like ;d,  ;df ;d then instead of letting the stick back to neutral I'd try to force the hcb only to get jumbled input like   ;dn ;df ;fd ;dn ;df  ;b ;db ;bk  (which is why I got trapshot)

Or sometimes it would be ;d ;df ;d ;df  ;dn ;df ;fd ;d ;df ;dn ;db ;bk  (held df too long, then tried to start the hcb only to push the button too soon and get a venom strike with a bunch of useless inputs afterwards)

Turning on the input display has helped a lot. Calming down and remembering to complete my circle motions before touching a button has been hard for me. I played a bunch of MK9 before coming to KoF and everything was dial a combo. Negative edge would mean mashing a combo in the wrong order still made the combo come out! KoF is definitely making me a better fighter just by not being so lenient on timing.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:35:56 PM by SuperVehicle001 »

"The future is not determined by the throw of the dice; it is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
-Phong

SuperVehicle001

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2013, 05:08:19 PM »
Back in the lab with King again. I got to a point where I can do ;dn ;b, ;dn ;b;st ;b, ;df ;d and variations like j.;d,  (Close) ;d;df ;d. Now I'm trying to add drive cancels and a little meter burn.

I've seen some good mid screen combos where King does a ;b Tornado Kick, ;d Tornado Kick to push opponents into the corner. I can't seem to do it except after Trapshot.

It looks like this.
King, Low, Mid-screen, 0 supers, 1DC.avi

Can King link the ;b and ;d versions of her Tornado Kick without first using Trapshot?

-Phong

JuiceboxAbel

• New Challenger
  • KING of Fighters
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2013, 01:13:30 AM »
You can only do it by drive canceling a trap shot. This knocks the opponent higher and allows the D tornado to connect.
I stream KoFXIII ALL THE TIME: Twitch.tv/juiceboxabel
twitter: @juiceboxabel

SuperVehicle001

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2013, 02:17:27 AM »
You can only do it by drive canceling a trap shot. This knocks the opponent higher and allows the D tornado to connect.

Thanks!

I was watching your KoF XIII basics video today and I have a question about practicing anti-airs. Does every characters' hop, hyper hop, jump and hyper jump have the same distance? So if I make my practice dummy Kensou   the timing will be the same against K' etc?

-Phong

JuiceboxAbel

• New Challenger
  • KING of Fighters
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2013, 11:56:46 PM »
No. Every character has their own jump heights and distances (the DLC characters are an exception, they have the same jumps as their non-DLC counterparts).
I stream KoFXIII ALL THE TIME: Twitch.tv/juiceboxabel
twitter: @juiceboxabel

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2013, 04:28:46 PM »
Can King be a good anchor character? I've been seeing some players placing her last sometimes.

Mazinkaiser

• Strongest Tiger
  • Debiru Mashin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2013, 11:58:03 PM »
Can King be a good anchor character? I've been seeing some players placing her last sometimes.

Really? with what strategy behind? imho no, she shine on point with her zoning ability (venom strike plus long heavy normals) and last point, she lacks of a good "easy land one hit and win combo" like others well knowed have hwa/shen/iori/karate/takuma/kim/others with full HD and 4 or 5 bars.

FM Sway

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2013, 09:11:41 AM »
Really? with what strategy behind? imho no, she shine on point with her zoning ability (venom strike plus long heavy normals) and last point, she lacks of a good "easy land one hit and win combo" like others well knowed have hwa/shen/iori/karate/takuma/kim/others with full HD and 4 or 5 bars.

Most recently Huevo has been putting King anchor as shown in the Japanowa GF vid.

I honestly think she's put last simply because she has the ability to snuff out the momentum the opponent has built up. She also seems to do very very well against the anchors you normally meet, in my honest opinion.

So really, she's not meant to kill you in one hit, she's really meant to stop the opponent's momentum and give yourself time to breathe; there's a reason why you're down to the last character, after all.