Author Topic: Athena Asamiya (Console)  (Read 72412 times)

Shaman

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: Athena Asamiya (Console)
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2012, 09:14:09 PM »
(fullscreen) hcf+P, f+B , air qcb B+D, j.f+B , air qcb B+D, j.f+B , air qcb+B, dp+C, DC f+B , air qcb+D , dp+C
That combo may be difficult at first, but trust me, if you practice it , it definitely is a practical combo.
Ok i think you forgot the qcf+B but I understood the combo
I see that the combo finisher (corner) is usually the same for every combo she has, it's dp+C DC qcf+B, f+B, air qcb+D , dp+C. Her dp+C really hurts, I think that's why you dont really need to use the DM in combos, plus her DMs don't have an unscaled hit if I'm not mistaken ?

Is there a way to never miss the j.f+B in those combos with the EX phenix arrow ? Which jump is it ? Only the normal forward one ? If that's the case maybe I can just hold  ;uf after the first EX then do the butt when she's in the air for a minimal miss chance ? Lol
I find her pretty hard to play because the hitconfirms are really quick if you choose to use lights and not super safe and kind of previsible if you use C+f.B
So my deduction is that everything revolves around the throw. What's the best way to force people to not infinitely jump and backdash when there is the danger of getting throwed ? Is it practical to buff-run the DM like a throw DM so if the guy is scared and gets into the air they take that damage ? Or is it too risky ? I don't know how safe this DM is, when I see an Athena whiff it I use an invincible move like EX Orochinagi to destroy it while she's still casting it, but I don't know about running and comboing etc.

I would love to have a good Athena to mix with my Robert on point.

Tikok

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2012, 09:28:11 PM »
Ok i think you forgot the qcf+B but I understood the combo
Indeed, I forgot it D: .

that's why you dont really need to use the DM in combos, plus her DMs don't have an unscaled hit if I'm not mistaken ?
Her DM doesn't have an unscaled hit and only does 50 more damage than her dp+C (dp+C does 150damage), so it's pretty useless as combo finisher if you can land dp+C instead. The same goes for EX DM. Never use it as combo ender, there are better ways to spend the two meters for more damaging combos.
Is there a way to never miss the j.f+B in those combos with the EX phenix arrow ?
Buffering the jump can help, but beside that, there's unfortunately no way to make it unmissable, you'll have to practice the combo.

Which jump is it ? Only the normal forward one ? If that's the case maybe I can just hold   after the first EX then do the butt when she's in the air for a minimal miss chance ? Lol
It's the "super hop" one. So, down > lightly tap up forward for the jump. Holding up forward won't work.

What's the best way to force people to not infinitely jump and backdash when there is the danger of getting throwed ?
Midscreen there's not much you can do unfortunately, You could do j.C xx Phoenix Arrow. It's cancellable even on whiff so if they jump they eat the j.C and if they don't, phoenix arrow is safe on block against most characters. Be ready to tech a throw though.

Once they are cornered you can use jump f+B if you think they are going to jump or backdash. j.f+B as air to air puts them in juggle state and grants you a full combo. (j.f+B, air qcb B, dp C for a no meter one, just use the drive cancel variants if you have meter)

Do it a few times (though you'd most likely kill at least one character if your opponent jumps/backdashes all the time, since you can easily do more than 500 damage with that j.f+B opening), and when they'll be trained not to backdash/jump, that's when you throw them.
Is it practical to buff-run the DM like a throw DM so if the guy is scared and gets into the air they take that damage ? Or is it too risky ? I don't know how safe this DM is, when I see an Athena whiff it I use an invincible move like EX Orochinagi to destroy it while she's still casting it, but I don't know about running and comboing etc.
It's not worth it/it's too risky. Athena's DM is punishable with a full jump in combo if your opponent knows what he's doing.
I would love to have a good Athena to mix with my Robert on point.
Keep working on her then ! I can guarantee she's good. Don't believe that "Athena is bottom tier" BS ! If you ever have any questions just ask. I lurk this board quite often, so I'll answer any questions you may have.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 09:45:20 PM by Tikok »

sammy5m1th

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2012, 11:44:19 PM »
So, saw a post by Tikok that said 407 was the most damage Athena could get off of a command grab in the corner for one drive and for some reason I felt the undying urge to challenge that.  What I was able to find was with a slight tweak to the combo that was posted I could get 420 dmg instead of 407 dmg.

Original:  hcf+C, qcb+A, qcb+C, dp+C, DC, qcf+B, f+B, qcb+D, dp+C = 407 dmg

If you sub out the f+B after the drive cancel for a short hop j.f+B you can squeeze a bit more damage out of the qcb+D since you'll be higher in the air.  Makes it a bit harder to hit with though so you'll need to be careful.  So the notation would be:

Edit:  hcf+C, qcb+A, qcb+C, dp+C, DC, qcf+B, J.f+B, j.qcb+D, dp+C = 420 dmg

I did find that the damage fluctuates by 1 or 2 points depending oh how many times j.qcb+D hits though.  Other versions that I was messing with removed the second psycho ball at the beginning for a second short hop j.f+B into j.qcb+D which can net about 413 but it's a lot harder so I wouldn't recommend it (might build more meter though, didn't think to check).  

Oh, and if anyone is working on the mid screen off of command grab butt loop I find it helps to walk forward and the instant you cross under them duck and hyper hop into the j.f+B.  Since just walking and hopping will put you to far ahead of them, that slight stall seems to help.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 02:42:20 AM by sammy5m1th »

Shaman

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2012, 02:52:42 PM »
Keep working on her then ! I can guarantee she's good. Don't believe that "Athena is bottom tier" BS ! If you ever have any questions just ask. I lurk this board quite often, so I'll answer any questions you may have.
Yeah don't worry about the tier subject. People arguing that Athena is low tier are not understanding this game and can't analyse why she isn't played (and the answer to this question is because her combos/confirms are really execution heavy)
Ok for the C whiff cancel into phenix arrow, it seems to be only working when she's at a low height in the air, hop seems to work at every height but you can't do that at the top of a normal jump.
The corner throw combo has this good point that there is no real timing issue, you can do dpC (DC) qcfB, then keep  ;fd held and mash  ;b to have the command attack

The throw to HD combo is pretty hard but I found that I can manage to start it more often by holding  ;df during the throw animation then doing  ;uf;fd  ;b ;c the quickest possible. Actually the failed attempts are resulting in punishable situations so I think I'm gonna train this very hard to have a low chance to miss.
I also think that without meter, the best you have to do during the throw is to let your opponent hit the ground for the 125 dmg which is pretty nice (but doesnt give meter to anyone), and to backdash -> phenix arrow 2 or 3 times to get some bar.
What do you guys think about this ?
I find there is not enough japanese Athenas on Gamespot etc. videos, pretty sad because they could teach us some setups. But I think Tikok's gameplan is close to what you have to do with the character, aka run away to fill your meter while your enemy thinks youre going to hadotrap him, then let him come and harass until you can do a throw combo.

Tikok

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
I also think that without meter, the best you have to do during the throw is to let your opponent hit the ground for the 125 dmg which is pretty nice (but doesnt give meter to anyone), and to backdash -> phenix arrow 2 or 3 times to get some bar.
What do you guys think about this ?
I do something simillar to this actually. I let him fall and do one backdash phoenix arrow. That way you have enough time to do a safe jump/ambiguous crossup after.

sammy5m1th

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2012, 04:42:31 AM »
If you're desperate for the damage off of a mid screen command grab with no meter you can go with a really late C psycho sword, you can net about 151 if you hit with the whole thing.  Pretty high risk since C psycho sword is so slow but if you really need the damage it's an option.  Trying to work on doing a short hop C into dash under mix ups personally.

@Shaman:

Yeah the corner throw combo Tikok posted is definitely better on the whole than the one I looked into, just wanted to see if I could beat its damage.  Actually switched my one drive combo to that one since it's so easy.

GuamoKun

• Rising Dragon
  • I MISSES YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2013, 02:47:25 AM »
I've been on a reaaaaally long hiatus on this site for a lot of reasons but I have been playing KoF since launch haha and Athena is my main and waifu

KOF XIII - Athena Asamiya (Combos, mix ups & safe jump)

I found this video and haven't seen it really discussed. Not mine since I'm very scrubby and stuff.

I've had some success with the "safe jump" set-up in the video (hcf+A/C j. fj.D)

but has anyone else tried this?

btw @Tikok dat ex teleport into cmd grab. YES~

Ryujin

• Rising Dragon
  • Not going anywhere for a while? Use V-Slasher
    • View Profile
    • Fah-che-book
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2013, 06:36:25 PM »
I sat down with her for the first time this weekend, and boy do I love her meter gain from TKed B Phoenix Arrows. Going to put her on point some tonight at our weeklies, I feel like she can be a phenomenal battery.
360: Ryujinflame, playing XIII
FB|Twitter

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2013, 01:58:07 AM »
This combo can only be done on a backturned opponent? (Yes, that is a question I'm asking)

Silly Athena combo
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 02:03:30 AM by marchefelix »

PBF

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2013, 12:03:50 AM »
This combo can only be done on a backturned opponent?

From what I've found out when I recorded this, yes. I saw other variations in other (and way cooler) combo videos and decided to try out while recording it. The thing about the backturn is that you can dash under your opponent due to him/her/it not being directly in the corner, then hit f.B (on the ground, no hopping required). On the second hit of the phoenix bomb switch your input to b.B. The engine will recognize it as a f.B which will allow you to continue with the looping.

It is possible to set it up from another butt loop with your back to the corner, as illustrated in the video below. Not sure about the practicality of it though, other than looking cool and silly at the same time.

Athena phoenix bomb loop from the corner 2

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2013, 08:48:04 PM »
^You're the maker of those videos?

Welcome to Dream Cancel, dude. You should introduce yourself in the Meet and Greet section.

I would've never thought that posting someone's video would make them sign up for Dream Cancel! xD

Also, good job on your videos!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 08:50:39 PM by marchefelix »

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2013, 04:51:50 PM »
I'm totally late on this Totally Casual videos on Athena. Both videos feature advance combos using her butt loop and some j.f+B corner to corner combos from her hcf+P.

KoF XIII : Totally Casual "Teach me" vid (Athena / Duo Lon / Ash)

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 05:55:40 PM by Desmond Delaghetto »
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

choysauce

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 24, 2013, 11:47:44 AM »
Man, it's been a while since i've been on here.

But I want to try and upgrade tech before EVO rolls around. I'll be trying to optimize her corner combo stuff, esp with HD combos.

If anyone sees this, lets try and compete to make efficient and easy combos.

this is my best 2 bar, 1 drive corner punish so far

cl.C > qcb+A > (link) dp+A (2 hits) > (DC) hcbx2+A > (land) hcbx2+A (512 dmg)

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2013, 09:24:49 PM »
Man, it's been a while since i've been on here.

But I want to try and upgrade tech before EVO rolls around. I'll be trying to optimize her corner combo stuff, esp with HD combos.

If anyone sees this, lets try and compete to make efficient and easy combos.

this is my best 2 bar, 1 drive corner punish so far

cl.C > qcb+A > (link) dp+A (2 hits) > (DC) hcbx2+A > (land) hcbx2+A (512 dmg)

I like to do a variant of this but with her hcf+P command throw:

http://youtu.be/f5fzfjx4-tU?t=5m11s

which is hcf+P, qcb+A, qcb+C, dp+C (3) (SC), air hcbx2+P, (land), hcbx2+P = 544 dmg

There is a combo earlier in that video that I saw only using maybe 1 drive in the corner that was powerful that I may need to experiment around with. Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:49:20 AM by Desmond Delaghetto »

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2013, 07:21:45 PM »
Pretty cool combo at 4:34 in this video: http://youtu.be/f3obYBr_ZRs?t=4m34s

Looks like hcf+P, sj. f+B, (wait), qcb+D, dp+C (1) (DC), qcf+B, j.f+B, (wait), qcb+D, dp+C (3) (SC), air hcbx2+P (land), dp+A = 474 dmg

I'll put in the damage output later, I'll just edit this post.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 01:02:52 AM by Desmond Delaghetto »