Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII Gameplay discussion (All shortcuts on 1st page)  (Read 259634 times)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
MOVED: Overhead properties
« Reply #315 on: September 03, 2011, 02:18:02 AM »
Yeah, special movies hardly ever have different properties like that.

But double-checking the mook, there ARE a few actual exceptions. Yuri's  ;fd ;b retains its overhead properties, as does Chin's ;df ;d. /also OT

Nitpick, Chin's df.D cannot be comboed into, so it's a standalone overhead.  I did not know about Yuri's f+A...and come to think of it I think her overhead is also too slow to combo into (neither of them register as 2 hits).

I'm going to move this to the gameplay section to keep it relevant. EDIT: Done.

Related note, does XIII still have the late cancel trick (where if you cancel into a command move late, it acts like the uncanceled version)?  Sounds like it'd benefit Leona decently if it still works.

I believe they took that out, but I'll double check the next time I get my hands on the game.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 02:23:29 AM by Kane317 »

C 3

• Rising Dragon
  • Cat stance ftw
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII 3rd |OT| Thread:Console Edition (UPDATE 8/26 1st p
« Reply #316 on: September 04, 2011, 09:11:51 AM »
Hey guys, i really need your help.  Can someone explain the defensive options in this game? If a character doesnt have a dp or cr.C, what do i do to stop jump ins? Im so free once im on the defence :( im using ralf, hwa jai and vice.

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII 3rd |OT| Thread:Console Edition (UPDATE 8/26 1st p
« Reply #317 on: September 04, 2011, 08:15:12 PM »
Hey guys, i really need your help.  Can someone explain the defensive options in this game? If a character doesnt have a dp or cr.C, what do i do to stop jump ins? Im so free once im on the defence :( im using ralf, hwa jai and vice.
it really depends on what character u use and witch game for example ralf in XII has a anti air ;df ;a but i dont use it i find it better top hop back and use ;a or  ;b

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII Systems/Technical/Gameplay discussion
« Reply #318 on: September 04, 2011, 08:31:46 PM »
If they're hopping, usually you can do standing A to knock them out. If they are super jumping over you for a cross up, you can also run under them and cross THEM up. It takes a bit of patience and timing, but it's useful :-D

C 3

• Rising Dragon
  • Cat stance ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 04, 2011, 11:26:50 PM »
Thanks   guys, but im also referring to staple anti air option for full jumps..... staple stuff.  Does anybody have any practical answers for the characters i mentioned

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 05, 2011, 03:02:27 AM »
Thanks   guys, but im also referring to staple anti air option for full jumps..... staple stuff.  Does anybody have any practical answers for the characters i mentioned
for ralf you can do standing  ;a rapid   ;a or  ;c;df ;a (jet upper), hop back  ;b (some times  ;c it depends) or hope back ;c ;d

for hwa u can do stand  ;a jump ;a jump  ;c ;d or  ;fd ;dn ;df ;b (it goes up if you do ;d it goes straight) and you may b able to do  ;dn ;db ;bk ;k i use it to keep them from jumping in but if your opponent is already in the air then im not sure

im not sure about her vice since i dont use her but i know jump  ;d is really good

hope that helped

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 05, 2011, 04:15:23 AM »
I'll add for Vice just trade hits with anything (j.A, j.CD, s.A) and Ex hcf+K into follow ups.  Ralf use his qcb+P Ralf Bomb.   Hwa Jai has his Dragon Tail (qcb+K) and dp+K.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
Counters in general...(Moved from: Billy Kane)
« Reply #322 on: September 06, 2011, 08:30:10 AM »
I see people here like the counters in this game. However, just because they are cool doesn't necessarily mean they fit the game. I mean, I can literally count all of the counters in this game; that's how little they are. Shouldn't that mean something?

Here's what I have to say about the counters in this game:

Elisabeth's counter is amazing and I have seen it in good use. I'll give you guys that one. However, I can't say the same about Chin's counter. I've never seen it landed at all. As for the NeoMax counters, they're cool and powerful and all, but that doesn't mean anything if people don't use them. Also, whenever they do use them, it's always inside of a Max Cancel. What that tells me is that people don't have enough faith in their counters to use them as a NeoMax alone.

In short, counters aren't really put into use in this game, at least from what I've seen. And with all these videos of KOF XIII matches around the Internet, I am bound to have come across some vids of counters being used well.

Perhaps it's because counters weren't used a lot in matches that Billy didn't get his counters. That or they just wanted to be old school (by old school I mean KOF '95, where he didn't have his counters).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 05:37:10 AM by Kane317 »

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
Re: Billy Kane
« Reply #323 on: September 06, 2011, 09:20:19 AM »
I've seen a lot of use of Chin's EX counter. And decent use of the normal one as an anti-air.

They don't use Goro or Betty's Neomax counters, because the meter cost was considered too high. But now, with the guage requirement down in HD mode on console, the point is that it could become a more viable tool.

I think they easily COULD have made Billy's counters work, I don't really buy the "too good for combos" excuse, that easily could have been handeled by a blowback attack, a dramatic recovery, or just making them non DC-able.

I think they just wanted to make Billy more about his Normals in this game. He has a fantastic close C, and 3 different command normals. His EX Sansetukonyuudanuchi seems to do DM-level damage at mid screen, he has strong counter combos, and he can set you into a screen-carrying combo series off the simpliest normal crouch attacks.

He seems like a character where EX moves should serve the purpose of multiple-moves in old games. Given the new systems, he's just NOT the same character he was before, and has to be looked at in a different way.

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 06, 2011, 10:20:35 PM »
i do see what you guys r talkin about my hole thing is the more a character has the more aware you are to to who ur fightin of course he dont need his counters mostly because with the way XIII is its alot more offensive then defensive

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 06, 2011, 10:45:19 PM »
I see A LOT of Chin's Ex counter.  I think you can find me using it on average, at least once per round.
It's also on The Answer #1 complaint list on how good it is.

Good to the point where SNKP decided to the nerf the active frames and damage delt.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:47:23 PM by Kane317 »

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #326 on: September 06, 2011, 11:05:32 PM »
Good to the point where SNKP decided to the nerf the active frames and damage delt.

Yeah, lucky you for getting to use the "broken-tier" version of the move, lol.

I kept using it with the timing I'd seen for months in vids, while at Otakon, and was suprised at how precise I had to be.

How much was the damage nerfed, btw? Was that mentioned before? I always liked the "Mini DM" aspect of it, never thought that was too much to ask for, since they use the same amount of meter...

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 07, 2011, 01:55:45 AM »
I'll add for Vice just trade hits with anything (j.A, j.CD, s.A) and Ex hcf+K into follow ups.  Ralf use his qcb+P Ralf Bomb.   Hwa Jai has his Dragon Tail (qcb+K) and dp+K.
I really wouldnt say the ralf bomb to much only because of the active frames it dont really last long but the did lower the number of start up compared to XII

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 07, 2011, 02:03:42 AM »
Just a quick thought on counters, I believe that counters actually help the offensive game as you don't have to go into block animation and yes event thou it looks like you are defending you are actually hitting your opponent. Strong players use counters as part of their offense.

Good example you'll see a lot of Mexican players using Billy's d.C, qcb.b when they are attacking their opponents and looking for Guard Crush. The opponent thinks you are going to do f.b after the d.C and they try to CD counter you to get out of it, if the attacking opponent reads it right they do the d.C into counter and the defendign opponent get hit.

I really think Billy should have his counters in XIII, I know Kane feels the same way.

just a thought.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

SwitchPlaya

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 07, 2011, 02:17:06 AM »
Hey i was wondering im changing up my team and i am wondering of a team of Duo Kim and Shen who sould go first and second and how much meter does Kim generate for himself and the team also how do you guys deal with zoning characters such as King and Athena's Projectiles?