Author Topic: Kensou wiki building thread  (Read 5155 times)

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
Kensou wiki building thread
« on: December 14, 2011, 12:46:16 AM »
http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sie_Kensou_(XIII)

Submissions, questions, comments and feedback should be posted here.

Stone Drum

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: Kensou wiki building thread
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 01:15:09 AM »
It doesn't seem like it is mentioned in the wiki unless I missed it, but in the console version, Kensou has a few new combos that have a bit tighter links but do more damage.

d.Bx4, qcf+P~qcf+P~qcf+K  [204]

Not really much use to add the extra down B for how hard it is, the placement needed, and the damage gained, but it is possible to do 4.  

d.B, s.B, s.C, s.D!(instead of s.B), qcf+P~qcf+P~qcf+K  [274]

Replacing the standing B with a standing D can only be done when you start the combo hugging the opponent, and the link is a bit tighter, but the damage is worth it imo.  This does NOT work on Chin- the standing D will whiff.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 01:17:48 AM by Stone Drum »

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 01:58:28 AM »
Okay, I have reasons why I didn't mention either of those.

First one is completely pointless.  If you're playing at a high enough level, 2-3 d.B's is more than enough to confirm, and the damage gained for doing 4 is worthless.

Second one, first off, there isn't any terrible reason to do d.B into the Target Combo.  I had done that at the start of playing Kensou when Console XIII first came out, but then I came upon a realization.  It made you miss your follow up link half the time unless as you say, you were hugging on them.  Kensou has a hard enough time with his stubby limbs, don't make his life harder.  If you're going to use his TC, always START with the TC.

Secondly, from what I can tell, TC into st.D is about a one-frame link.  There's a reason why Shen players don't use their d.B, d.C one-frame link even though it helps out the absolute weakest aspect of his game (his low game if you weren't certain).  IT'S TOO UNRELIABLE.  Kensou doesn't need the one-frame link for the decent increase in damage, especially when going into Rekkas.  Kensou is momentum based and should be using what he has to keep the momentum.  Putting too much fluff or unnecessary links and such into his combos only adds more opportunities for you to lose your own momentum. 

Now, if you can reliably confirm TC into st.D, then yeah go for it, but I'd suggest using that to go into his DP's since obviously the damage is more important to you.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Stone Drum

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 02:03:10 AM »
I disagree with you.  Kensou's normals have so little reach that often hugging the opponent isn't even a bad thing, since you will be out poked most of the time.  And it is still worthwhile to know everything that is possible with any character, regardless on whether most people think it is worthless information or not, but that is just my opinion. And I can reliably link the st C into the st D.

I'm not trying to start an argument, and I guess it is good that people are already aware that it exists, but I see no reason not to include or mention it

« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 02:07:19 AM by Stone Drum »

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 02:10:01 AM »
You know it's funny, I used to have the same exact opinion as you when I started.  But things change. 

And I never said that always hugging the opponent was a bad thing, that's honestly a good thing.  However, 9 times out of 10 it's just not gonna work like that against a good opponent.  The only thing I'd be doing by putting up your information on the wiki is giving something extra good players will be forced to ignore and pass over in an already bulky Wiki (which will get bulkier when we eventually get his Frame Data), and something newer players will try to add to their game and will get killed for or will realize is nowhere near worth it.

Would you also like me to put up a combo in the wiki where I show how you can combo off of his meaty fireballs? 
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Stone Drum

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 02:16:05 AM »
no, and I agree that for the most part that you should mostly start the target combo with a standing B, but I know personally from now on that when I'm hugging the opponent, I will include the standing D in the target combo, since you can still include it without the crouching B.  *shrug*

You're the boss, boss.  You know better than I do.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 02:36:35 AM »
I'm saying, if you can reliably hit the st.D, then go ahead, the damage is definitely good.  But I'm also saying that if even Shen players won't hit essentially the same link (honestly a bit easier at that, since it also doubles as a Frame Trap) when it would absolutely boost Shen's game, then Kensou players shouldn't worry about it when it's essentially fluff for us for a bit more damage.

Short version:  If you can hit st.D, do it, I personally don't think Kensou players should risk it all too much.

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 12:20:52 PM »
You should add a line or two about the mixup game Kensou has in corner (it's said but not clearly enough I think).
Because it doesn't seems like that but his TC/Throw mixup in corner is pretty scary.
Once you have cornered your opponent if you teach him to guard a d.B string you can start to mix him up.
And what makes it truly scary is the easy hit confirms on either the throw or TC but also the high damages followed by the qcf.B knockdown followed by the qcb.A followed by the same oki LOL
Follow me on Twitter for a lot of stuff on KoF XIII :
https://twitter.com/SharntGroMuzo

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 06:27:19 PM »
You should add a line or two about the mixup game Kensou has in corner (it's said but not clearly enough I think).
Because it doesn't seems like that but his TC/Throw mixup in corner is pretty scary.
Once you have cornered your opponent if you teach him to guard a d.B string you can start to mix him up.
And what makes it truly scary is the easy hit confirms on either the throw or TC but also the high damages followed by the qcf.B knockdown followed by the qcb.A followed by the same oki LOL

Meh, I figured the mixup game would be self-explanatory, it's not like he's doing anything terribly fancy.  Seems like a waste to throw an extra place in there to say, "Hey, you have High/Low/Throw mixups in the corner that lead to themselves".

If other people come in here and say they want it though, I'll go add something.