Author Topic: The Shen Woo Match up thread  (Read 5346 times)

SwitchPlaya

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
The Shen Woo Match up thread
« on: January 02, 2012, 04:27:59 AM »
This thread will be dedicated to how to deal with characters with Shen. In order to make it easier explained what character you are having trouble with before writing down your issues and solutions you should title what the match up is. you don't have to do this if you don't want to it will just make it easier to look out for specific characters.

eg.

(Shen vs ???)
[text Here]

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
Re: The Shen Woo Match up thread
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 05:04:17 PM »
For some reason, I'm having trouble against Mai with him. Especially in the air, her jump attacks sort of beat out lot of his either in timing or positioning. It feels like I just gotta rush the fuck out of her and not let her get any kind of movement down...I also gotta remember to swipe those fans with his qcb+C. I gotta test how fast she recovers after those normal fans to see if I can qcf+AC or qcfx2+P on reaction.

Against Clark I feel that you really have to poke him out, and not let him get close, because he has troubles punishing his b~f+A and stopping his hcf+B in time.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 05:46:01 PM »
She recovers extremely quickly after throwing a fan. I would only punish a fan with qcfx2+AC, to be safe. qcfx2+AC is so damn fast.

If she jumps, qcfx2+A/C is really good. It's invulnerable in the startup and as an anti air often gives you a wall-bounce combo.

Mai's air game is really annoying, I know this matchup all too well, but I actually find it in Shen's favor. If you can get past those annoying st.B, st.D pokes then you shouldn't have too much trouble. Mai lacks anti airs completely, so you can hop D pressure her pretty well.

Essentially to win the match you have to go into it with lots of meter.

If you ever see Clark doing hcf+B, try to get an EX grab out. It'll win. I also have trouble with this matchup though. Grapplers in general are a really tough situation for Shen. I guess it's because he needs to get into their throw range to start any of his damage, and that's not a place that most people want to be.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 05:49:20 PM by Matt Alder »

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 06:06:13 PM »
If you ever see Clark doing hcf+B, try to get an EX grab out. It'll win.

If you see the B SAB just hop and jC, jD or jCD.

Whatever you do its a free combo because hitting Clark during B SAB always results in a counter hit.

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 06:37:39 PM »
yeah but you can't jump cancel your normals. If he autoguards a close C, f+B you'll not be able to get out of it with a jump. You CAN cancel it into an EX grab, though. Non-EX command grab is a bit too slow, you'll probably get thrown if you do that.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 09:42:12 PM »
If you're trying to bait Clark's hcf B, just do d.B and then jump.  If he tries to air grab, just jump back C immediately he'll not be able to.

You shouldn't be doing s.C, f.B in a block string against grapplers anyways just you his light pokes and j.CD (this coming from a former Shen player of the entire XIII arcade run, and now a console Clark player).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:44:29 PM by Kane317 »

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »
(this coming from a former Shen player of the entire XIII arcade run, and now a console Clark player).

Do you still play with Shen? If not (or not often anymore) why did you stop playing with him? I have also noticed that Reynald has switched Kim for Shen in recent matches I've seen, and I didn't see him playing Shen at all when I was at Final Round...

"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 01:04:21 PM »
(this coming from a former Shen player of the entire XIII arcade run, and now a console Clark player).

Do you still play with Shen? If not (or not often anymore) why did you stop playing with him? I have also noticed that Reynald has switched Kim for Shen in recent matches I've seen, and I didn't see him playing Shen at all when I was at Final Round...

No more Shen for now, ditched him for Clark because they're too many Shens here. As for Reynald, he plays like everybody and someone like Shen he definitely used at one point in time.

MAASKYO

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 05:29:33 AM »
Against Takuma & Terry (didn't try it in the most the cast) .

(opp back to the wall)...Danken (command  throw)  Bakushin(burst super)  without drive canceling the throw...
also in hyper drive  mode you can  do the Neo max after bakushin ..

it's a  character specific combo that why i put it here...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:39:23 AM by MAASKYO »

Light13

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 10:12:14 PM »
Anyone have any tips on Shen vs Mature? Even the smallest detail would help thanks.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 12:45:29 PM »
Anyone have any tips on Shen vs Mature? Even the smallest detail would help thanks.

Please be more specific, what is it about her that is giving you problems?