Author Topic: Tier lists and Character Discussion Thread  (Read 157648 times)

Killey

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: Tier lists and Character Discussion Thread
« Reply #405 on: July 16, 2013, 08:27:24 PM »
The only person I saw use Hwa Jai was Ricky Diaz and Haregoro and neither player made it far at Evo. I think his biggest weakness is that his jumping normals are lack luster and require tighter spacing than other top tier characters. It requires him to rely on his specials and ground normals more. Plus, all the top players know the match up against him so the drunken tricks that Tokido and Mago pulled out last year are nowhere near effective as before. It's probably why Tokido dropped him for Kim.

I feel Kim is probably the best character in the game now with Mr.Karate behind him. As you mentioned, everybody at Evo had a pocket Kim and his effectiveness was too much. It's the fact that both EX Hangetsuzan and air Hangetsuzan puts so much fear in players during the footsie game. Like you can see Kim jump but you don't want to risk putting a normal out there because he can just do EX air Hangetsuzan and blow through everything and is mostly safe on block. Once Kim scores that hard knockdown he gets free pressure with safe jumps galore and a plethora of simple yet really effective mix ups that either put you back in the same situation or lead to huge damage.

Chin was interesting this year because all the French players used Chin and brought the most tech with him. Fox & Reynald seemed to be the most effective with the character this year. The absence of Chin with MadKOF was surprising considering the role he played in last years grand finals.

I think the one character you missed out on was King. King plays an extremely important role in the game's meta right now, imo. She was underrated last year but I think the developments this year has really shown why the character is extremely good and probably deserving of an S or A rank status. Her passive aggressive play style puts a stop to a lot of characters and she's one of the few characters who can control the top tier characters but it requires really good fundamentals on the King's player part.

Shen was not as abundant this year as he was last year. I think the character weakness is catching up to him but he's still overall a really strong character.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:09:28 PM by Killey »

davidkong07

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 18, 2013, 10:26:05 AM »
The only person I saw use Hwa Jai was Ricky Diaz and Haregoro and neither player made it far at Evo.

Ummm, pardon me, but both players made top 16. If that's not making it far then I don't know what is, considering that virtually every match in top 64 was between top players. Hwa is without a doubt still up there, imo.
In it to win it!

Killey

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 18, 2013, 07:32:36 PM »
The only person I saw use Hwa Jai was Ricky Diaz and Haregoro and neither player made it far at Evo.

Ummm, pardon me, but both players made top 16. If that's not making it far then I don't know what is, considering that virtually every match in top 64 was between top players. Hwa is without a doubt still up there, imo.

Ah I didn't know they made top 16. I thought they got knocked out earlier than that.

PEAH8R

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 18, 2013, 10:02:33 PM »
Doesnt it ultimately come down to the player who is playing the character and the match up?

Arent these tier lists a little biased?
I mean come on, unless who ever made the list mastered every character in the game.

Mr.Minionman

• Mod Team
  • Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 18, 2013, 10:11:02 PM »
Tier lists are always biased, though typically heavily based on experience/results. Just a way of putting opinion in words. It's up to you to decide whether you think it has any validity. Nothing wrong with discussing them.

BioBooster

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 22, 2013, 10:07:25 AM »
Here's something interesting from Japanese KOF news/bulletins site KOF Koucha.

http://kofkoucha.wordpress.com/2013/07/16/kof-xiii-%E3%80%90evo2013%E3%80%91%E3%82%AD%E3%83%A0%E3%83%BB%E3%82%AB%E3%83%A9%E3%83%86%E6%95%B0%E3%81%AF%E5%9C%A7%E5%80%92%E7%9A%84%E3%81%8B%EF%BC%9F%E3%83%88%E3%83%83%E3%83%97%EF%BC%91%EF%BC%96/

A breakdown of chrs used in at Evo's top 16 this year:

Kim - six
karate, Shen, beni - five
flame iori, Nests Kyo - four
claw iori, duolon - three
Chin, Takuma, Ryo, King - two
Mai, Yuri, Hwa, Joe , Saiki, Ash, Elisabeth - one

Although kim, karate, shen and ioris were expected it's very nice to see decent representation of some of the others especially at the top. Props to Romance for his team of yuri/beni/king.

LazieFreddy

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 23, 2013, 09:43:35 AM »
They didn't include koukou and ET's characters:

Koukou plays kim, karate, and claw iori
ET plays clark, benimaru, and karate
*not sure what characters ricky diaz actually used at evo..

With that info, the new list looks like this:
Kim, karate - 7
Beni - 6
Shen - 5
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:36:43 AM by LazieFreddy »

Fidoskin

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 30, 2013, 11:37:33 PM »
Hey!
I will start travel pretty soon and i need to optimize my team. Can you guys help me please?
I use Raiden as point and Takuma as second character and ... I have no idea what character should i use as third ... i was played EX Iori and point and Raiden as anchor but i feel it`s not really good idea cuz Raiden can kill with 3 bars easy and have some bad matchups :\
Can you recomend me some chars? I was tryed to play Shen and Benimaru but i stop cuz Shen is dumb as fk and Beni is so hard for me :\ Im practice with Kim right now but may be you can recomend some options?
Raiden and Takuma dont need rly a lot of mether you know. 
Sorry if i chose a wrong thread :o

Crimson_King15

• Strongest Tiger
  • Are You okay? BUSTA WOLF!
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 31, 2013, 02:06:09 AM »
Hey!
I will start travel pretty soon and i need to optimize my team. Can you guys help me please?
I use Raiden as point and Takuma as second character and ... I have no idea what character should i use as third ... i was played EX Iori and point and Raiden as anchor but i feel it`s not really good idea cuz Raiden can kill with 3 bars easy and have some bad matchups :\
Can you recomend me some chars? I was tryed to play Shen and Benimaru but i stop cuz Shen is dumb as fk and Beni is so hard for me :\ Im practice with Kim right now but may be you can recomend some options?
Raiden and Takuma dont need rly a lot of mether you know. 
Sorry if i chose a wrong thread :o

I don't think this is quite the right thread for this my friend.

BioBooster

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 01, 2013, 02:39:44 AM »
Hey Fidoskin,

Feel free to start a thread here, thanks.

http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?board=19.0

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 29, 2013, 06:56:35 AM »
I've been wondering for a while about Saiki's placement on the tier list. Davidkong's tier list from months ago placed him in A tier, right below Vice. He is six spots away from King, the other zoning master (mistress?) in the game.

I've always known that Saiki is very economical with his meter. But it wasn't until I saw DarkChaotix's latest video, which features a 2-meter 100%, that made me think he should be placed higher than he is. King got where she was mostly on her zoning game. Why is it that Saiki wasn't placed higher despite his own zoning game, which in my opinion rivals, or even surpasses, King's?

meghnad

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 19, 2014, 11:48:21 AM »
Why all players love kim so much. I mean many people play with kim but, so few with Elisabeth??? whats the mystery???????

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 19, 2014, 12:06:15 PM »
I've been wondering for a while about Saiki's placement on the tier list. Davidkong's tier list from months ago placed him in A tier, right below Vice. He is six spots away from King, the other zoning master (mistress?) in the game.

I've always known that Saiki is very economical with his meter. But it wasn't until I saw DarkChaotix's latest video, which features a 2-meter 100%, that made me think he should be placed higher than he is. King got where she was mostly on her zoning game. Why is it that Saiki wasn't placed higher despite his own zoning game, which in my opinion rivals, or even surpasses, King's?

In my own opinion, King's neutral and aggressive play is a bit better than Saiki. Playing with both, I think landing a regular meterless bnb as well as pushing people into the corner is much easier. I also would say her standing low, relatively safe blockstrings, and easy hit confirms make her an easier character to win with. Doing 100% HD combos takes some work and usually not necessary if you can keep your opponent out.

I also feel her zoning is better because she can change her trajectory and poke people out of the air with her fireball. Air-to-air approach seems more dangerous with limited effort.

Great_Dark_Hero

• Scion of Flame
  • Lame puns are long gone
    • View Profile
    • Techno Panic Fighting Game Project
« Reply #418 on: February 19, 2014, 05:11:15 PM »
Why all players love kim so much. I mean many people play with kim but, so few with Elisabeth??? whats the mystery???????

Ease of use.

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 19, 2014, 08:05:33 PM »
I think people use kim for two main reasons. 1. He is top tier 2. He is cool. He is easy to just do stuff with, but i don't think that is it because he became way more common after competitive players started showing off his dumb sides. Elizabeth to me is pretty lame because of both her character and move designs, she used to be more common than she is now.