Author Topic: Gameplay video critiques  (Read 61937 times)

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
Gameplay video critiques
« on: January 10, 2012, 05:29:45 PM »
Post up your gameplay videos and have them critiqued by other members. The idea is that both the poster and other members will be able to learn from these videos, both what to do and what not to do as well as brainstorm ideas based on situations and reactions.

A few ground rules:
1. In order for this to work, criticism has to be constructive and offer advice to help the poster imprvoe.
2. Flaming/trolling will NOT be tolerated. First offense results in a warning; second is a monthly ban; third = goodbye!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 05:32:31 PM by nilcam »

Kokujindayo

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: Gameplay video critiques
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 07:04:46 PM »
Guess I will start off posting in this.

This match is between me and a friend who is relatively new to the game. From watching it I can see two major flaws. I need to work on my spacing for when its safe to throw fireballs, and also I need to stop backing myself into the corner.

I also remembered last night that Athena has a relatively safe block string where she can do s. c x psycho ball

KoF 13: Kokujindayo (Athena/Mai/Yuri) vs friend

YasakaniX

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:28:04 PM »

This match is between me and a friend who is relatively new to the game. From watching it I can see two major flaws. I need to work on my spacing for when its safe to throw fireballs, and also I need to stop backing myself into the corner.

I also remembered last night that Athena has a relatively safe block string where she can do s. c x psycho ball

If you could play a good keep away with Athena you're good.  Try to experiment more with her to see if she has normal combos that would work for ya. I only played alittle with her, but she does look like a good keep way chara.

In other cases for everyone that are Kim Kap fans! I've started out the first episode of Let's Fight Series showing basics and some normal combo routines he has. I hope this helps you!

"Let's Fight" King of Fighters Episode 1 Kim Kaphwan (Normal Combo Follow-ups)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:38:36 PM by YasakaniX »

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 07:03:40 AM »

when it comes to spacing ur fireballs u need to really remember the jump hyper jump also know how fast the character (ur athena for ex) recovers from there fireball the best way to go bout this is to pick other fireball characters and compare the distance and speed of the fire balls.

theres nothing wrong wit backin urself into the corner i do it all the time on purpose but if u cant put the fear into people then u cant just go back into a corner. what i mean about puttin fear in people i mean with athena fo example u can spam her reflector or the dp and once u see people kinda changin the way they play or playing it safe or being to defensive then u can start openin up ur opponent somethin like this takes alot of time because u dont know if some one catches on quick or there testing u or it may take a while for them to notice what ur doing

i saw some of ur other videos and ur athena is really good and she really only lacks mix ups but also i noticed when u play against dp characters u back off pretty fast which is good because athenas presser game is a lil weak to me which includes her firball but at the same time u also should try to bait out dps so as soon as u knock em down then just jump and see what happens that way u can figure out more options also with ur athena when u empty jump into throw u should hop or whiff and move in the air i saw u do a full jump into her throw but i really think it is, is the fact that ur friend already knows ur play style

not really sure what to say about mai cause i dont use her but i have played some good mais and all i can really say is that she is real defensive so u dont really have to worry about jump ins and u shouldnt always try to do big combos so shes more like billy learn her normal and the u can really get in some set ups

with yuri i would say mix up ur dive kicks i believe with her she has more then 1 way to set up then just using dive kicks

i cant really say much with the characters u use cause i dont touch them  :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:33:14 AM by bigvador »

Ufgt

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 10:19:23 AM »

Heyo, check out this link:

http://www.twitch.tv/gameoverdamage/b/304571741

I start playing at 35 minutes, Athena/Yuri/Takuma. You might be able to pick some stuff up. Also, I would like any critique you guys have of my play.

Kokujindayo

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 01:15:16 AM »

snip

Hey thanks for the detailed response, one thing I've learned is throw fireballs then bait with a st. a because this usually causes them to jump which leads to a EX DM for a good chunk of damage. I guess another thing I hsould start doing with Athena is to stop being so afraid to rush in. To me (excluding her  ;dn ;db ;bk ;a) she doesn't really have any good air to air options so I usually just use  ;c ;d

I've also learned that Mai isn't really about big combos (they are nice if you happen to have them in the corner and the HD meter however). She is about capitalizing on mistakes and baiting to punish with Neomax.

I still think my Yuri needs a lot of work, I really do need to start mixing it up with cross up dive kicks, fireballs, anti air saifa, etc... A lot of people say she is definitely the strongest on my team, but I think with some hard work and training I can make my other two characters just as big of a threat.

Heyo, check out this link:

http://www.twitch.tv/gameoverdamage/b/304571741

I start playing at 35 minutes, Athena/Yuri/Takuma. You might be able to pick some stuff up. Also, I would like any critique you guys have of my play.

Your Athena was very solid and I definitely learned a lot from this vid. Watching some of your matches, if you want more dmg maybe instead of reflector you could do st. h, f+ ;b;dn ;db ;bk ;d, DC EX psycho ball,  ;a version psycho ball,  ;a version psycho ball, shoryu, DC teleport, jump up,  ;fd+ ;b;dn ;db ;bk ;d, ;fd ;df ;dn ;db ;bk ;fd ;df ;dn ;db ;bk ;a ;b

Does 575 dmg which is nice

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 04:28:57 AM »
UTGT
its kinda hard 2 give any advice when ur fighting some 1 whos not around ur level and i dont use any characters that u use but i will say is that u should work on ur combos

Zeromurasame

• New Challenger
  • Ehh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 02:19:39 AM »
Don't know if we're still doing this or not but here is a first to three set between a friend on mine and myself.
King of Fighters XIII First to 3

I'm playing my standard team of Terry, King, and Yuri. He plays Kyo, Mai, and Athena.

Feel free to pick it apart.

B1gblack

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
video postings
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 10:51:38 PM »
i have started posting up my fights in KoF 13 hoping that people can help me out with some tips and advice on what NOT to do in a fight they are on youtube just type in MrGinjiAmano in the search bar. from there you should see my name "B1gblack" appear thanks for your help if anyone decides on helping  me out

Kokujindayo

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 07:49:06 PM »
Oh god, duo lon is definitely my biggest problem so far. Any tips on what to do with my team for this matchup? I know The Answer was saying I should have put athena first, but he didn`t tell me this till after the match lol

Anyways, any type of help is appreciated. Thanks

Final Round XV KOFXIII HYPE - BLOWED UP!

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 06:14:04 PM »
Oh god, duo lon is definitely my biggest problem so far. Any tips on what to do with my team for this matchup? I know The Answer was saying I should have put athena first, but he didn`t tell me this till after the match lol

Anyways, any type of help is appreciated. Thanks

Hope this helps. If you always use Yuri, Mai, and Athena, I'd definitely go with Athena first to combat Duo Lon. Her projectiles can keep away his rekkas, and she's got aerial options so his across-the-screen footsies don't hinder her that much. Same for Mai, but she's more aerial and less projectile friendly. Just remember Duo is usually a poke/zone/rekka character who's rushing you down usually, or getting you to come at him with the Gemnu Kyaku (f.B) a lot.

Also, I'd get more practice in to maximize your comboing. You missed a few opportunities to land significant damage, especially with Athena's aerial juggling. I'm trying to lock down combos myself with my characters. You did well in your matches, just keep improving.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 06:26:33 PM »
i have started posting up my fights in KoF 13 hoping that people can help me out with some tips and advice on what NOT to do in a fight they are on youtube just type in MrGinjiAmano in the search bar. from there you should see my name "B1gblack" appear thanks for your help if anyone decides on helping  me out

-Your Shen seems solid at first glance, but keep up the short/hyper hop CDs to control spacing more.

-With Terry, try never to rushdown with a strong or EX Burn Knuckle. The weak is your safest bet. And from experience, wait till you're very sure Rising Tackle will connect.

-Andy, use Zanenken more (db~f.B) and Kuhadan (hcf.B) a little more. The light versions of those are recommended for now. Eventually Zanenken can double as a dash-forward move, and Kuhadan strong can be across the screen travel.

-Overall (from just a few videos), tighten your combos (especially Terry's cr.A~cr.C~Power Wave/Burn Knuckle/etc) try to control the space of attacks as much as possible.
-Terry Bogard, 1995

TrulyAmiracle

• New Challenger
  • The Eternal Blaze~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 10:16:24 AM »
hmm this thread seems somewhat dead but I guess it wont hurt to try.

Here's some footage of my gameplay from a tourney this last weekend.

I Start at 2:19 for 2 sets, then I'm back at 3:22

http://www.twitch.tv/teamkhaos/b/314292210

Ignore my Shen coz I'm still a total fraud with that dude, just wanted to try him out in a tourney setting. My real team is Ralf/King/Vice.

Thanks =)
Winning is Everything. How you do it doesn't matter...

PSN/XBL/Steam: TrulyAmiracle

Angel|Mian|Meitenkun|Ralf|Geese|Ramon|Vice

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 12:06:46 PM »
hmm this thread seems somewhat dead but I guess it wont hurt to try.

Here's some footage of my gameplay from a tourney this last weekend.

I Start at 2:19 for 2 sets, then I'm back at 3:22

http://www.twitch.tv/teamkhaos/b/314292210

Ignore my Shen coz I'm still a total fraud with that dude, just wanted to try him out in a tourney setting. My real team is Ralf/King/Vice.

Thanks =)

Overall, good stuff Blaze. Was a little confused at first, thought you meant 2min and 19sec. Once I found your match, good work with Ralf and Vice.

Love how you were almost out-grabbing LordBBH's Clark with Vice.

Your Ralf is one of the most solid ones I've seen. For EX Kyo, or either Kyo probably, I'd suggest more of Ralf's normals to keep him at bay, and maybe more j.C instead of j.D to counter in the air.

Your King feels like the weakest, but I think it's just a little lack of strategy there. Definitely tighten up your combos with her (like cr.B, cr.A, df.D, qcf+K), and don't be afraid to be aggressive. After a while spamming Venom Strikes is just going to be evasion practice for your opponent; there are more spamming King players than non, so take advantage of the non. And I haven't tried this match-up yet, but if you're up against Clark, and you have meter with King, bait his strong command grab and EX Trap Shoot. Try it in practice though, not on a whim at a tourney.

Hope this helps
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Zeromurasame

• New Challenger
  • Ehh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 01:24:09 PM »
http://youtu.be/LW-H4eejEbs

http://youtu.be/Jxg_boIdkIs

Recent footage of me in a local tournament. I'm playing King/Kyo/Terry in that order. A couple of factors played into how I did though. One I had just picked up Ex Kyo, and two, this is the first time I had ever made it this high into the brackets(winners and losers finals respectively) so I got incredibly nervous and jittery. But feel free to pick it apart. Any criticism is beneficial.