Author Topic: SNK Term Encyclopedia  (Read 33627 times)

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
Re: SNK Term Encyclopedia
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 08:06:46 AM »
E Button - For KoF XI, the Blowback Attack
E Button - For KoF NeoWave, Heat Mode, a state where character's offensive power is increased but at the cost of gradually losing health.

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 08:27:41 PM »
OCV= one character victory

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 09:49:28 PM »

Technically not the SNK term.  "Straighting" is the official '98 SNK term as seen in the score screen (I dunno if they still have that).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 09:24:59 PM by Kane317 »

Gravelneed

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 03:32:38 AM »
Where's MVS and AES? lol

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 04:29:00 AM »

Technically not the SNK term.  "Straighting" is the official '98 SNK term as seen in the score screen (I dunno if they still have that). now)

I love SNK engrish, I don't know, is sometimes that wins over me all the time

Waifu Material

AM2

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 11:02:32 PM »

Technically not the SNK term.  "Straighting" is the official '98 SNK term as seen in the score screen (I dunno if they still have that).

"Straight" is used in other games too, it just means you won without losing a partner/round. Capcom/others haves "Complete Bonus". OCV is just a tournament-related term used by players.

MVS: Multi Video System, the SNK Neo Geo as an arcade system. Multiple game carts can be inserted inside and games can be easily switched without turning the cabinet off.

AES: Advanced Entertainment System, the SNK Neo Geo as a home console, can play the actual arcade game carts, with 100% arcade perfect graphics, sound, etc. Infamous for being expensive at the time of its release. Still is expensive due to the system being a little on the rare side, due to its limited success.

Shinra Shiranui

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 07:34:35 AM »
The term "Bait" is used in pretty much all fighting forums and i thought it should be added. Also i was going say "Tech roll" but i think SNK has another term for it..i think..
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 07:43:58 AM by Shinra Shiranui »
KOF XIII: EX Kyo,Mai,Saiki

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 08:34:53 AM »

So that's what that is. I've always called it team-sweeping, but either is cool.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Giby

• Strongest Tiger
  • Man Chest
    • View Profile
    • snk-capcom dot com
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 06:30:18 PM »
AES: Advanced Entertainment System, the SNK Neo Geo as a home console, can play the actual arcade game carts, with 100% arcade perfect graphics, sound, etc. Infamous for being expensive at the time of its release. Still is expensive due to the system being a little on the rare side, due to its limited success.

The Neo Geo Home system could not play MVS carts.

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 10:11:11 PM »
I didnt even know we had this. Good shit KK123
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 07:51:45 PM »

The Neo Geo Home system could not play MVS carts.

to be fair, why will you want to play mvs carts when you had the AES version, generally this one has lots more things than the MVS, and an even more easy interface than the MVS, the only thing that you could miss is the blood or some censor in the games, but honestly, I don't care

Even though is very lazy from their part to not include those, hell, in kawaks you can play with both just changing an option xD

btw, maybe this is a general fighting term, but what mean footsies?

Waifu Material

PureYeti

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 08:18:59 PM »
btw, maybe this is a general fighting term, but what mean footsies?

Spacing and reading your opponent by baiting them then punish

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 07:38:52 AM »
I think "KGO" should be added to the term list... xD

giga_d

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 11:27:29 AM »
just a nitpick but I wish ppl in general wouldn't use SF/Capcom terms when talking about kof, the main gripe being "meaty". That term is used by Capcom players and has no history in KOF as far as I can tell. Usually it's Heavy or the actual button C/D. On streams no one cares but in guides and FAQ's that's a I don't even.

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 12:08:09 PM »
just a nitpick but I wish ppl in general wouldn't use SF/Capcom terms when talking about kof, the main gripe being "meaty". That term is used by Capcom players and has no history in KOF as far as I can tell. Usually it's Heavy or the actual button C/D. On streams no one cares but in guides and FAQ's that's a I don't even.

I'm not following your definition of "meaty" here. Whether or not "meaty" comes from another game is irrelevant to the fact that it is relevant to strategy in KOF. Plenty of other games utilize this technique. "Meaty" is an attack used on an opponent's wakeup to cause blockstun or counterhit by taking advantage of a move's active frames. The "meaty" attack doesn't have to be a normal; may be a projectile or even a super.

I'm not being pretentious here, just looking for some clarification, because, by that reasoning, we shouldn't use the terms "reversal" or "dp" either since those terms prevail from SF/Capcom games. Unless you know of a KOF specific term for this technique, I think "meaty" is fine.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 12:10:33 PM by FataCon »