Author Topic: New to KoF...  (Read 5734 times)

Nakigahara

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
New to KoF...
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:39:35 PM »
I watched a few of the KoF 13 videos on ArcadeIfinity's channel and the game looks really fun to play. I was looking through the games on the PSN and I noticed that it has KoF '99 for $6.99 and the KoF Collection, which comes with '94 - '98, for $19.99. Would '99 be a good place to start or should I shell out the extra cash to get the collection which comes with '98?

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
Re: New to KoF...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 03:12:45 PM »
None of the above. KoF 99 is a PSOne port that is not very good. The collection is for PSP and I understand there is loading during matches. Everyone will have a different suggestion as to how to get started. IMO, XII is a great place to start. It's a much simpler game than the other KoFs but is quite good. 98UM on PS2 is a more traditional starting point. It's one of the classics in the series. The most popular option will likely be 98 and 2002 on ggpo. These 2 are considered the best games in the series prior to XIII.

Nakigahara

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:05:57 AM »
First off thank you for the answer!

I think I will try to get a copy of KoF XII for the PS3 mostly because that is the only system I have an arcade stick for. I heard from a lot of people that the game was a total flop. Why is that?

If I can find '98UM for cheap I might buy that but I would be stuck with a PS2 controller.

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 03:06:22 AM »
The problem with XII was one of expectation. Fans were let down by the smaller roster and the immensely simplified system after XI. So much was taken out of the game from XI - leader DMs and tagging, to name a few. Compared to almost every other KoF, XII is very simple which is why I think it's a good place to start. The gameplay is smooth, the fighting is fun and the clash system is very well done.

Another reason for the hate is the online. The PS3 version got an online patch which improved performance but it's still not great. You'll need to have your PS3 wired with ports forwarded in order to have any sort of decent connection. Add me on PSN (nilcam) when you get. I'm on almost daily.

Nakigahara

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 03:19:57 AM »
Okay I will add you when I get the game. ^^ Although I have to say my internet isn't so great in the first place so online matches might not work too well. Nonetheless I'm still willing to try it. I will try to pick up a copy of KoF XII either this weekend or next.

Does KoF's gameplay resemble any other fighters out there? I have played a bit of Street Fighter (Third Strike and 4), BlazBlue, and Guilty Gear. What should I expect when I first start playing? 

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 03:52:43 AM »
It's very different than any other fighter. It's more aggressive and faster than Street Fighter/ I think it's easier to play than Guilty Gear as it is a little bit slower and not so over-the-top. XIII does make me think of GG to a degree, especially when I see the insane juggle combos.

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 04:41:26 AM »
Dud enot for nothing, but if you want to start getting used to KOF, I suggest just playing 2k2UM and even Team Mode in KOFXI. Reason I say this is because XII will not really teach you much from a game that was completely redone in 13. 13 from what we know and seen, shares way more stuff with all the 2k2 versions and KOF XI.

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 05:53:00 AM »
It felt more like XI to me than any version of 2002. The controls are not as stiff as the 2k2 games and the cancel system is very similar to XI. I think XII is a good starting point but not the best to transition to XIII. The controls in XIII feel very smooth like XII and the jumps share the same attributes.

It's all good advice.

Parapets

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 07:10:08 PM »
Don't play XII. The game is slower than other KOF games, and many mechanics were changed. For now, I would suggest playing KOF 2002 on GGPO, assuming your stick is compatible with PC.

Nakigahara

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 08:40:31 PM »
Don't play XII. The game is slower than other KOF games, and many mechanics were changed. For now, I would suggest playing KOF 2002 on GGPO, assuming your stick is compatible with PC.
My stick doesn't work on my laptop but it works on my friend's laptop just fine. I don't really get it to be honest... ~_~

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 12:44:14 AM »
just use a ps3 controller... that's what i use on ggpo...
KOFXIII - Raiden, Billy, Mai, Karate, Kim, Ralf, Ryo, Robert

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

SaMsTarOth t3h mAsTarOth of AsTarOth...!

JeremyH

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 11:02:06 AM »
your friend probably has the required drivers to have it work on his laptop.  if your stick is ps3 compatible it should be compatible with your pc, you just need the right driver

Violent Ryo

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 04:46:13 AM »
Either 98 UM or KOF XII are great choices actually.   KOF XI is also another classic (with a shitload of characters!), and the smoothest controls of the series, meaning more loose than previous versions.

All these games are available on PS2 in the US at good prices.