Author Topic: The Pros and Cons of Shen Woooooo...  (Read 13260 times)

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
The Pros and Cons of Shen Woooooo...
« on: April 09, 2012, 10:57:34 PM »
This thread is to share your opinion on Shen's general gameplay advantages and disadvantages, which may be added to his wiki page here: http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Shen_Woo_%28XIII%29

Ok, I will start:

Pros:

* High damage output

* High comeback probability factor, best anchor in the game

* Can spend little meter towards a high damage combo

* Solid ground and jumping normals

* Can deal with projectiles fairly well (negate them, EX move and dm's can go through them)

* Easy combo execution

Cons:

* Can't do much with no meter

* Can't confirm many combos from a low attack (only HD combos, d.b > d.a > hcb~f +P, etc.)

* Has trouble anti-airing angled jump-ins outside of the front of his head (CABC is an option but is 2 stocks)

* Has trouble punishing opponents moves, a lot of moves have slow start-up

Anyone agree or disagree with any points?

Feel free to make up your own list!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 06:54:19 PM by Desmond Delaghetto »
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: The Pros and Cons of Shen Woooooo...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 11:56:07 PM »
I don't think that I would say that Shen has difficult HD combos. Generally I feel like he's one of the easiest characters to use execution-wise. In fact I might mention in the pros that his combo execution is very easy. I would maybe mention in the cons that he requires meter for his instant grab, since it's only 1 frame if it's the EX version, but also mention in the pros that his EX command grab gives him very high damage combos. Perhaps also worth mentioning is that he builds meter somewhat slowly and also that he can't do much damage without at least 1 drive.

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 12:00:43 AM »
the cons that he requires meter for his instant grab, since it's only 1 frame if it's the EX version, but also mention in the pros that his EX command grab gives him very high damage combos.

EX cmd grab is 3 frame startup :(

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 12:00:51 AM »
Yeah...Shen's HD combos are INSANELY easy to do.  Worst thing, just timing his Axe Handle + Followup in some of them, and even then...yeah.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Matt Alder

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 12:46:01 AM »
the cons that he requires meter for his instant grab, since it's only 1 frame if it's the EX version, but also mention in the pros that his EX command grab gives him very high damage combos.

EX cmd grab is 3 frame startup :(

My mind is blown. Why the hell would SNK give Shen a worse command grab than Benimaru? It's like they deliberately chose for Beni to dominate everyone at everything. Ok, yeah, shit. Shen's ability to punish is slightly worse than I thought.

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 01:03:29 AM »
My mind is blown. Why the hell would SNK give Shen a worse command grab than Benimaru? It's like they deliberately chose for Beni to dominate everyone at everything. Ok, yeah, shit. Shen's ability to punish is slightly worse than I thought.

Because someone complained that it was a sexist portrayal for Shen to backhand the female characters. So they nerfed it.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 06:56:27 PM »
I don't think that I would say that Shen has difficult HD combos. Generally I feel like he's one of the easiest characters to use execution-wise.

Do you think someone needs good confirming skills for his combos? Because many times if you don't properly confirm his s.C or d.B into anything, you can potentially miss out on good damage.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 07:06:26 PM »
I don't think that I would say that Shen has difficult HD combos. Generally I feel like he's one of the easiest characters to use execution-wise.

Do you think someone needs good confirming skills for his combos? Because many times if you don't properly confirm his s.C or d.B into anything, you can potentially miss out on good damage.

If you can't confirm st.C, f.B into something, you have the reaction skills of a snail.  Confirming off of his lows can be problematic, but you'll only need it for a grand total of one instance, which is HD activation from lows.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

MAASKYO

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 05:35:12 AM »
Can't confirm many combos from a low attack (only HD combos, d.b > d.a > hcb~f +P, etc.)
what about  ;dn;b  ;dn+ ;c F+ ;b..??
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:37:41 AM by MAASKYO »

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 06:02:22 AM »
You mean besides that you have to be damn close, and the fact that the d.B, d.C link is a 1-2 frame link, which if not landed, will lead you to at best a slightly neutral situation?

Zeromurasame

• New Challenger
  • Ehh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 09:52:54 PM »
I'd say that sums him up pretty nicely. High risk high reward character. You could also add that he has a lot of trouble opening people up and that he has hardly any safe pressure.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 10:11:40 PM »
I'd say that sums him up pretty nicely. High risk high reward character. You could also add that he has a lot of trouble opening people up and that he has hardly any safe pressure.

Define safe pressure.

Zeromurasame

• New Challenger
  • Ehh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 10:19:18 PM »
Maybe I should say safe block strings. The only think I think Shen can get away with is something like cl.C F.B QCF C(feint) and immediately into something else.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 10:25:07 PM »
Safe blockstrings are overrated.

Zeromurasame

• New Challenger
  • Ehh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 10:28:04 PM »
I guess. But hey, it's KoF. You gotta take some risks to get what you want. Especially with a character like Shen.