Author Topic: KOF Community Growth and Outreach  (Read 39900 times)

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
Re: KOF Community Growth and Outreach
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 06:25:52 AM »
Regarding giving free copies, I still think $30 bucks is quite a deal for the amount of quality in the game, and Atlus and SNKP should get every penny earned.

But in my utmost humble opinion, a great way to get people in the game is to just play, enjoy and have fun learning the game. Being open to teaching others what you know, sharing things you have learned or becoming interested in finding new things is always the way to invite others is the way to go.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

azunadrop

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2012, 09:10:02 AM »
Regarding giving free copies, I still think $30 bucks is quite a deal for the amount of quality in the game, and Atlus and SNKP should get every penny earned.

Ditto - us folks in Sydney, Australia actually bought 3 copies of the game to sell for 30 bucks to bring at each (monthly) event so it saves player the hassle to search far and wide for a copy (importing a copy, lucking out in the games section of a store or in a games store... etc).

Edit:
Also as of last month, we do free team tournaments that anyone can enter to get into the game.

Edit2:
$30 bucks was break-even price.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:04:19 PM by azunadrop »

choysauce

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2012, 05:30:14 PM »
reply to Croutine:

That's what my cast is for =D. but yeah i think that is definitely one source to try and get new players. we need to talk to people in the other scenes to see if we can garner their interest for this game.

tell them how it's pretty much right in between marvel and street fighter
1 touch death combos
sick combos
meter management
footsies/spacing
not as broken/insane as marvel
not as slow/turtly as street fighter

Reply to souf:

we definitely need to have an inviting vocabulary when talking about KOF, so we def need to try to get people to stop saying it's hard. it's NOT THAT HARD, it's not impossible to learn. challenging yes, but definitely rewarding.

Reply to Juicebox:

I do like this idea, but it could go the way of many who say "Yeah i have the game, but it's still unopened" (not necessarily true, but more likely than not). it's a crapshoot imo
we need to point people to their local scenes, we need them to find someone to play with. then they will be motivated to go and get the game themselves. I think this would garner more lasting attention.

if anyone could be generous enough to do this, then it's definitely better than not doing it.

Great stuff with all your efforts for the kof scene, keep it up!

As for me, there was a nice turnout at the last Runback in socal. 22, despite not having most of the regulars there (alot of new faces). one thing i regret is that i didn't really talk to most of these new faces (was concentrating too much on my matches).

but i think whenever we see someone new, make an effort to get to know them so that you can share your knowledge about the game, where people gather to play, etc.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2012, 06:00:35 PM »
We can try having online sessions for the purposes of teaching instead of casuals/tournament.

Call it the Dream Dojo or something.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:21:01 PM by Diavle »

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2012, 08:08:39 PM »
We can try having online sessions for the purposes of teaching instead of casuals/tournament.

Nice Idea Diavle. IMO I think it's much better than online casuals or tournaments; people can learn more from that.

BouncingSoul

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2012, 09:28:37 PM »
I have personally been trying to get this game going over in the Inland Empire, thanks to Evo a renewed interest in the game has had more people playing or trying out the game. I make sure that their is at least one station with KOF at every casuals session I attend, and I often bring the game up in discussions whether its on facebook or when people are talking in groups at casuals. My favorite moment of Evo was sitting their in a row of marvel players, with one specifically good marvel player watching in awe when Bala was playing against MADKof in the grand finals and he turn to me and says "Why the hell do I not play this game?!" the interest is their, we just need to keep pushing this game as best we can within our own communities.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 01:53:15 AM »

You know Diavle, the Saturdays where there aren't any tournaments I try to put on the practice/ranbat stuff. Calling it the Roundtable Ranbats, but that name you came up with is too perfect, so gonna have to add or rename a few things for it. Thanks for the inspiration (you will be credited).
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

choysauce

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 08:07:10 PM »
My favorite moment of Evo was sitting their in a row of marvel players, with one specifically good marvel player watching in awe when Bala was playing against MADKof in the grand finals and he turn to me and says "Why the hell do I not play this game?!" the interest is their, we just need to keep pushing this game as best we can within our own communities.

nice! if you find anyone remotely interested, keep talking to them and help them get into the game.

and good stuff shark, keep up the good work =D

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
One other thing I would like to see a bit more at tournaments, either as an official event or side event or something off after/before tournaments, is some good ole 5v5 (or more) team battles. We had one of those at Power Up 2012 (it was supposed to be an official event but had streaming problems) and it was loads of fun. We can have state or city crews against each other for they can claim to be the best in their region or coast...Any agree?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 09:07:28 PM by Desmond Delaghetto »

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2012, 04:05:10 AM »
One other thing I would like to see a bit more at tournaments, either as an official event or side event or something off after/before tournaments, is some good ole 5v5 (or more) team battles. We had one of those at Power Up 2012 (it was supposed to be an official event but had streaming problems) and it was loads of fun. We can have state or city crews against each other for they can claim to be the best in their region or coast...Any agree?

Love the territorial rivalry idea. "Coast V Coast" it can be called, or something.

And by team battles, do you mean like 3-on-3 matches with one player per character? If not, that might be an interesting experiment, maybe for seeing who's the best (insert character) player in this or that area.

And I know we're eventually going to have interviews with established scenes, but time should be given also to local promoters that want to build a scene too; might have to be more scrutinizing about who, like who's serious about it, but I do whish I could've gotten site exposure like that when I was running offline stuff in MI (sorry if we've gone over that already).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:45:59 AM by solidshark »
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2012, 04:12:50 PM »

And by team battles, do you mean like 3-on-3 matches with one player per character? If not, that might be an interesting experiment, maybe for seeing who's the best (insert character) player in this or that area.

No, not one player per character, everyone has their own team like in the vid I posted.

davidkong07

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2012, 10:46:09 PM »
1 player per character is hype as shit!! Trust me, it's really really fun.
In it to win it!

selfReg

• Scion of Flame
  • Plateau of Invincibility
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel UK
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2012, 11:13:44 PM »
at our sessions we traditionally have a few "crew battles" to cap the night off, with one character each. It really is the shit haha. The strats and team synergy have to be completely maxed out. I would be interested in seeing more of this at the highest levels, even if it's just for fun.
KOFXIII: N-Robert, Ryo, R2 Takuma

the7k

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2012, 10:42:45 AM »
How do you guys handle button setups/controllers with 1 character team battles? Just always pause at the start of a match, or do you require everyone to use the same button setup and controllers?

choysauce

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2012, 11:09:06 AM »
How do you guys handle button setups/controllers with 1 character team battles? Just always pause at the start of a match, or do you require everyone to use the same button setup and controllers?

i've been a part of one, we paused right at the start because some of us played different layouts. if u have teammates who have the same layout no need to then.

gonna goto wentinel's house this friday to teach him some kof =D. gonna try to snatch more marvel players