Author Topic: KOF Community Growth and Outreach  (Read 39914 times)

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: KOF Community Growth and Outreach
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2012, 11:42:15 AM »
This post is more for reflection than suggestion, but still a few things worth keeping in-mind.

UltraChen did an episode that touched on two things that can relate to KOF in some ways.

The Sanford Kelly thing about no one is stepping up to ChrisG's level on the EC in Marvel, I know circumstances are VERY different, but the same can still be said about SoCal versus everywhere else in America. No one is saying it now, but I hope people do say it. And since I hear some SoCal players have been taking a break since EVO, I'm hoping the scene doesn't suffer just because the biggest KOF hotspot isn't showing up to TRB (unless I heard wrong, which I hope I did).

Second thing was expanding the fighting game community (having people play more than one game/Capcom games/etc.) Chen talked about using other fighters (P4A, SG, etc.) to badmouth games like SFxT, but don't put time into the "better" games. KOF was a one point one of them and we got lucky with the EVO showing, cause no one can say KOF is dead after EVO. Chen called out people who said they want P4A and wants to hold them to their word and not drop it after a month. While we can't hold people to that, one way I think we can help ourselves  is (again) respecting other fighters. Not collectively talking trash about a game just because it isn't our main game, and admiting that we play more than just KOF (if we do, there's nothing wrong with just playing KOF) helps. More people were open to playing KOF with me when I admitted I played GG, SF, some Marvel, VF, Tekken, and CVS2, among others. Since most of the FGC is casual SF players probably, more people playing multiple fighters means more people getting into KOF.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Ghaleon

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2012, 07:12:57 AM »
Speaking of KOF Team Tournaments, have any large events tried KOF team tournaments? Whether traditional (3 players per team, SBO-style) or Each team is 3 people each playing 1 character?

It sounds like a lot of fun but a nightmare to run in terms of time or logistics.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2012, 07:56:32 AM »
Originally that was the concept Osirun planned for the 5v5 we were doing at Power Up. Instead of doing the 3v3 Team battle option, it was going to be 1v1, and have every character have a certain amount of meter to begin with. I think that open might be easier to work with instead of having people pause to switch pads/sticks and button layouts.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

souf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2012, 04:30:35 AM »
More people were open to playing KOF with me when I admitted I played GG, SF, some Marvel, VF, Tekken, and CVS2, among others.

same here...i often use it as a bribe at the arcade when i get there early and its just me and an AE player before the general crowd starts arriving. "i'll play some AE with you if you play some kof with me". youd be surprised how well the classic "you show me yours and ill show you mine" trick still works.

instead of having people pause to switch pads/sticks and button layouts.

yeah, in chicago we have a pad player, a mortal kombat stick player, a rainbow button layout player, and a handful of default button layout players who all have different preferences for their R1, R2, L1, and L2. it might be a bit tedious...but at the same time i dont think the number of entrants would be high enough to make it drag or anything. doesnt hurt to try.

maddcheddah

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2012, 06:38:38 AM »
We can try having online sessions for the purposes of teaching instead of casuals/tournament.

Call it the Dream Dojo or something.

Nice Idea Diavle. IMO I think it's much better than online casuals or tournaments; people can learn more from that.

I would be down for teaching sessions it will help a guy like me looking to cross over into competitive gaming. It will also build to KOF community, which I've always wanted to see.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:16:24 AM by maddcheddah »

choysauce

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: Re: KOF Community Growth and Outreach
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2012, 09:53:24 PM »
Maybe someone can arrange that in the online match making forums.

And I like souf's idea to attract existing fgc members of other games

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk 2

Terrastorm

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2012, 07:36:37 PM »
I have been reading twitter out of boredom, and I really hope the KOF community doesn't start bashing Persona because of its success. Doing that is only detrimental to getting people into the game.

Chipymax

• Rising Dragon
  • Life is only one, so live it!!! Bronx, New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2012, 08:21:59 PM »
I have been reading twitter out of boredom, and I really hope the KOF community doesn't start bashing Persona because of its success. Doing that is only detrimental to getting people into the game.

I hope that doesn't happen... KOF is and always will be my main game, but I just got P4 and I like it. I see no problem with playing two games (FG) or more... all my friends in XBL are SNK players and many got the game (P4) or they are going to get it, all I see is love from SNK Players for P4 so far.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:59:26 AM by Chipymax »
Xbox live: Chipymax

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2012, 01:38:21 AM »

I'd think a lot of people maining XIII are trying out P4A; so far those who've spoken up really like it, so I'm hoping that keeps up.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

souf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2012, 04:57:39 AM »

im not gunna lie i had my fair share of bitter words for the game at last night's gathering at the arcade when i walked in to find 9 P4 set ups and only 1 kof and 1 AE...but everyone who i was bashing knew it was in good fun and that that was more so the arcana heart 3 fanboy in me being salty that the same guys who hated on me for playing AH3 are now going gaga over P4. P4 is fun, hopefully this game will help open the doors for other anime fighters to be accepted now.

speaking of P4...the horrid XBL play was patched in week 1...which brings me to why i came back to this thread. a good amount of people that i have convinced to try out kof insist that they love it and would play it if only the online was good. thats something we cant really resolve in this thread...or can we? where does the kof community go to be heard? is it too little too late to try and reach out and ask for it to be fixed for the sake of saving the evo hype while its still hype? so many people would main this game if only they could practice it with others more than once a week. petition...? barrage of emails...? twitter...? any ideas?

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2012, 06:28:26 AM »
speaking of P4...the horrid XBL play was patched in week 1...which brings me to why i came back to this thread. a good amount of people that i have convinced to try out kof insist that they love it and would play it if only the online was good. thats something we cant really resolve in this thread...or can we? where does the kof community go to be heard? is it too little too late to try and reach out and ask for it to be fixed for the sake of saving the evo hype while its still hype? so many people would main this game if only they could practice it with others more than once a week. petition...? barrage of emails...? twitter...? any ideas?

Your absolutely right here especially for us who are outside the US. The only reason which AE and Marvel 3 are top FGs here is because of their online; I cant express enough how much the online means to us here and to tell you the truth, as hard as I tried to push this game the community here just refused to grow because of the online. Thankfully I have 2 people I play with, thats it and believe me we have a lot of people who play fighting games here. BB's netcode was awesome, I know that they use skipping frames or whatever but it's so good that I can play against anyone no matter the distance; even if it was as good as AE I dont mind it, it was good enough. It's a damn shame that this game gets over shadowed by other games because of it's online and it's the best FG and Game out there. They really need to do something about it in order for it to grow here.

Mikel

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2012, 07:48:39 AM »
I'd think a lot of people maining XIII are trying out P4A; so far those who've spoken up really like it, so I'm hoping that keeps up.

As a former KOF XIII player, I too enjoy P4A to its full potential thanks to its smooth netcode, online features, and fast-paced gameplay. I hope P4A does get a spot as a main tournament game at EVO next year while KOF needs to become a requirement.

I'll go as far to say that I prefer it over KOF XIII; but that's just me.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:51:32 AM by Mikel »

Malik

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Student of this game called life....
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2012, 08:22:03 AM »
Yeah not having netplay sucks but at this point Post-EVO, if whoever isn't play isn't then they probably aren't going to seeing as it was the best Top 8 displayed at EVO this year in many people's opinions. P4A is going to do P4A, KOFXIII IS going to make a comeback next year seeing as it broke #'s that many people were not expecting (either in the 900's or somewhere between 1,000 & 1,100) & the "shirt monsters" actually playing their matches out. We, as a KOF community worldwide should just take the players that do love the game & are interested in stepping it up & build up individual scenes from there since it's probably the most productive thing we can do & when the game gets stream time, tell friends & such to watch it when it's on since people really love watching it.
"I used to be a christian then I met anime.. now i practice witchcraft and dark magics."
-Anony on Sankaku

souf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2012, 11:52:19 PM »
KOFXIII IS going to make a comeback next year seeing as it broke #'s that many people were not expecting (either in the 900's or somewhere between 1,000 & 1,100)

random fun fact/"ah-ha" moment. kof had 1,072 sign ups (third most at evo), sitting right between marvel (1,248 sign ups) and sfXt (448 teams, so 896 sign ups in total)

check that math...it is exactly 176 more than sfXt and exactly 176 less than marvel. weird.

Malik

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Student of this game called life....
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2012, 06:14:25 PM »
KOFXIII IS going to make a comeback next year seeing as it broke #'s that many people were not expecting (either in the 900's or somewhere between 1,000 & 1,100)

random fun fact/"ah-ha" moment. kof had 1,072 sign ups (third most at evo), sitting right between marvel (1,248 sign ups) and sfXt (448 teams, so 896 sign ups in total)

check that math...it is exactly 176 more than sfXt and exactly 176 less than marvel. weird.

Wow that is pretty crazy but yeah we should just stick with getting people who are genuinely interested or trying to get better in the game to play because with other games coming out, especially everyone experimenting or either completely hopping on P4A, we have to give players incentive to play the game & play with other people because that's really the best part about this game IMO, is playing with other people & discussing strategies, facts, etc. & if "newer" players can find joy in those things, then I'm confident they'll stick with it.
"I used to be a christian then I met anime.. now i practice witchcraft and dark magics."
-Anony on Sankaku