Author Topic: KOF XIII 8th General Thread: KOF EVOlving 2012  (Read 186661 times)

Eripio69

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 8th General Thread: KOF EVOlving 2012
« Reply #465 on: October 09, 2012, 10:43:43 AM »
With free KOF 13 maybe we'll get more close players to play with.  That'll be nice.

That was my exact thought.. Can't wait. Btw how does this thing work? Does Sony pay companies to get games free for psn plus users?

EDIT: On second thought the ppl getting the game now will be ultra casuals. I bet every FGfan has KOF XIII in his collection already.

From what I was told, Sony pays them say 50-100 grand up front for the game being on sale.  It gives SNK money, and exposure.  Will SNK make more money if they sold the game?  Possibly, but this is guaranteed money from doing this.  Not as much if they sold those copies themselves, but any cash influction is good if it doesn't even require work.

Also it helped Gearbox immensely.  They gave away Borderlands earlier and they made even more money off of it.  Not just from the bulk sales, but from getting people who never saw borderlands get it for free and then make them want Borderlands 2.  It was a great promotion and probably helped Gearbox get an extra stack of sales for Borderlands 2.

Makes sense. Plus it will give the chance to 3D lovers (tekken, virtual fighter etc) to try a solid 2D fighter. It is only US that gets XIII for free so it will help it grow and set a good ground for an upcoming sequel or something. Anyway as long as SNKp benefits from something I am happy.

^ If the main rant is KOF XIII doesn't play remotely like a KOF game I can understand where they're coming from. To me it's like Street Fighter V suddenly playing like Marvel. The HD mode really turned the style of playing KOF upside down and older players  had to adapt or get schooled on this one. It doesn't mean it's a bad game, but I might agree that it's different like RB2 is to Garou.

I don't understand the hate on the HD mode since ppl at evo proved that you can still play old style and win. You wanna save your meter for a big HD combo with a chance to drop it or you wanna do simple bnbs ending to an EX or a Dm move? HD did not turn the gameplay upside down. It just gave more options and more playstyles. KOF has always been about evolving. They tried strikers, tag team, different type of gauges. Would you prefer XIII to be 98 UM all over again with different graphics and reduced roster?

EDIT:

XIII becomes free for PS3 plus members!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/08/playstation-plus-update-king-of-fighters-xiii-free-for-members/

I'm kinda on the same boat as you. From what I see the hate might be cause the online limitations makes HD mode the preferred chioce to get easy wins. However offline is a lot different once it more about reacting to your opponent and not just trying to attack first to get the advantage. I just wish I could play more offline to confirm what I think.

I completely agree. I don't have an offline scene too and my game became too HD dependent. I always fish for a jump CD with Vice and a command grab with Takuma making my pressure game messy. There are two ppl that I play with which I bet they have offline scene because their game is so different. Footsies, solid bnb's etc etc.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:50:01 AM by Eripio69 »

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 10, 2012, 12:39:56 AM »
With free KOF 13 maybe we'll get more close players to play with.  That'll be nice.

That was my exact thought.. Can't wait. Btw how does this thing work? Does Sony pay companies to get games free for psn plus users?

EDIT: On second thought the ppl getting the game now will be ultra casuals. I bet every FGfan has KOF XIII in his collection already.

From what I was told, Sony pays them say 50-100 grand up front for the game being on sale.  It gives SNK money, and exposure.  Will SNK make more money if they sold the game?  Possibly, but this is guaranteed money from doing this.  Not as much if they sold those copies themselves, but any cash influction is good if it doesn't even require work.

Also it helped Gearbox immensely.  They gave away Borderlands earlier and they made even more money off of it.  Not just from the bulk sales, but from getting people who never saw borderlands get it for free and then make them want Borderlands 2.  It was a great promotion and probably helped Gearbox get an extra stack of sales for Borderlands 2.

Makes sense. Plus it will give the chance to 3D lovers (tekken, virtual fighter etc) to try a solid 2D fighter. It is only US that gets XIII for free so it will help it grow and set a good ground for an upcoming sequel or something. Anyway as long as SNKp benefits from something I am happy.

I think almost everyone who is into any fighter has either already played XIII or isn't interested in it and that the vast majority of people who get the game via playstation plus aren't really gonna play it seriously at all or even for very long given the model of playstation plus and it's stream of new content. Although it could help push sales of some of the Neogeo Station games, DLC content or future releases.
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 10, 2012, 01:32:32 AM »
I think almost everyone who is into any fighter has either already played XIII or isn't interested in it and that the vast majority of people who get the game via playstation plus aren't really gonna play it seriously at all or even for very long given the model of playstation plus and it's stream of new content. Although it could help push sales of some of the Neogeo Station games, DLC content or future releases.

While this is probably true, I'm hoping some find there way here and at least find people to play off of.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 10, 2012, 02:14:37 AM »
It is only US that gets XIII for free so it will help it grow and set a good ground for an upcoming sequel or something.

I really hope this is true. Lord knows the U.S. is in need of serious help when it comes to building up a fanbase for SNK games.

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 10, 2012, 11:26:08 AM »
I've been playing around on PSN just wanting to see who shows up. Considering I have a screaming headache and backache I figured I would be good cannon fodder for somebody. Of all the new players I played most could barely play it at all. I saw one that could play decently, and maybe two out of another 10 that could throw moves out. Other then that it's a bunch of people who picked up a free game and know nothing about it,
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

Eripio69

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 10, 2012, 04:20:44 PM »
Two questions:
1)how do free games work on PSN+? Do they stay there forever or they are taken down after a short fixed period of time?
2) Do we know how many copies XIII sold up to date?

PureYeti

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 10, 2012, 07:58:58 PM »
1) Each month they will add some new free games replacing the old ones. I don't know how long the current lineup will last.

2) no

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 11, 2012, 02:17:20 AM »
1) Each month they will add some new free games replacing the old ones. I don't know how long the current lineup will last.

2) no

With the new plus, some games stand longer, like infamous 2 or lbp that hasn't been removed, I think that kof will get the same treatment

Waifu Material

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 11, 2012, 02:57:00 AM »
I've been playing around on PSN just wanting to see who shows up. Considering I have a screaming headache and backache I figured I would be good cannon fodder for somebody. Of all the new players I played most could barely play it at all. I saw one that could play decently, and maybe two out of another 10 that could throw moves out. Other then that it's a bunch of people who picked up a free game and know nothing about it,

Haven't found any new players like the ones Bakaboy found. Anyone else finding them recently?

P.S. Get well soon Bakaboy.
-Terry Bogard, 1995

LazieFreddy

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 11, 2012, 07:03:08 AM »
I played several guys on psn yesterday, and it's just like what bakaboy said.  The few people I played seemed to have never played a fighting game before.

Solid, you haven't encountered them so far, probably because kof is only available for free for north american PSN.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 11, 2012, 09:17:05 AM »
I played several guys on psn yesterday, and it's just like what bakaboy said.  The few people I played seemed to have never played a fighting game before.

Solid, you haven't encountered them so far, probably because kof is only available for free for north american PSN.

Part of me hopes the connection with these new players are sufficient, and also that veteran players are messaging some of these guys about teaching them how to play or telling them where they can learn. I might've done the same with a 2bar player that wasn't too bad recently (obvious SF player thought).
-Terry Bogard, 1995

DarKaoZ

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 11, 2012, 09:58:15 AM »
Two questions:
1)how do free games work on PSN+? Do they stay there forever or they are taken down after a short fixed period of time?

1) Free Games on PS+ work like this, you can "buy them" aka add to your download list and you will be free to play them as long as you are a PS+ member. If your PS+ membership expires, then you can't play them anymore until you subscribe again. And for what I notice, mostly 1st party games are the ones that stay longer and 3rd party games are the ones that get cycled every month. If you didn't download them while they were free, you will not have a chance to download them anymore.

baikdizz

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 14, 2012, 10:01:34 AM »
Ok now all FG companies show their new project for the future arc (bb phantasma end ggac+r),french bread(under night in bird),and capcom(ds4) and the fact that sony give snk moneys for the psn+ do you think snk will show their project too sonner or later or it's a dream? or they focus only on ios and pashislot?

azunadrop

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 14, 2012, 11:19:38 AM »
It could potentially be funding for another console patch for CLIMAX.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:21:22 AM by azunadrop »

JennyCage

• Mod Team
  • Strongest Tiger
  • I see a red door and I want it painted black.
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 14, 2012, 01:10:27 PM »
Their silence is deafening. :(
Kick, punch, it's all in the method. Not mother approved but totally kid tested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCPTb9h2V5s