Author Topic: KOF XIII 8th General Thread: KOF EVOlving 2012  (Read 186599 times)

JennyCage

• Mod Team
  • Strongest Tiger
  • I see a red door and I want it painted black.
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 8th General Thread: KOF EVOlving 2012
« Reply #510 on: October 20, 2012, 12:05:55 AM »
^ You just made god cry.

Hey...as long as it helps us smile later.
This thread died because of that vid.  I'll go get the shovel...
Kick, punch, it's all in the method. Not mother approved but totally kid tested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCPTb9h2V5s

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 20, 2012, 12:06:37 AM »
^I'll buy the flowers

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 20, 2012, 04:08:12 AM »
November 17th is supposed to be a big tournament at Super Arcade. That's something to keep in mind. With the downsizing on participants in KOF tournaments, there have been talks about either upping the ante to make more serious players consider the venues that have the game OR making it into side-tournament level. That's bad.

I've had discussions about this with a number of people. Honestly, I feel that it has a lot to do with the skill gap and others mentality at venues. I'll use Southtown as an example. I've asked atleast 10 people to participate in the tournament. They often don't like the idea of playing people and being beaten twice so they don't learn anything. Essentially, they feel like they're just pot monstering and they have no interest in that. However, when we have Free Play Fridays, we had more people than we had at an actual tournament.

When asked why they liked this environment over tournaments, they said they get to learn and play more. At tournaments, it's a tense environment and we're likely at the stage where nobody likes criticism or likes to give away secrets to their strategies. However, new people, befuddled by the mixups and tactics, really get turned off at the idea of getting out of mixups or predicting them, knowing when to reversal and with what, and other things that videos and written guides can't teach.

I feel if tournaments catered more or openly advertised that there would be casual setups for the game, more people would join more events. Especially with such bad netcode, people are more eager to have a much-needed offline experience and crave more match-up experience to feel confident.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 20, 2012, 05:42:55 AM »
That tournament is great to keep in-mind, as is looks as it's specifically meant to get more people playing the game, especially with no venue fee and ony $5 per entry.

And I agree that most tournaments including KOF should advertise whether they will have casuals available, as lots of players off-line are still learning about XIII.

However, I want to say the people befuddled by mixups, tactics, and things they haven't seen before, need to be told more that they have to expose themselves to losses and unexpected things to to get better. If they plan on investing time in the game, losses will come, in double-elimination, or other ways; it's what you take from those matches that makes the difference. Both winners and losers lose, but losers simply lose and winners learn why they lost. Several guys who participated in the online tournaments certainly didn't start out as winners. They took their loses, researched and talked about why they lost, and eventually reached the third, second, or top spots. I can understand the pot monstering thing to some degree.

At STA, do the guys that place high on Sundays show on the Free Play Fridays and help teach the newer players?

"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 20, 2012, 08:23:11 PM »
Most of them. Only people that don't go all the time are Hellpockets and BBZ

SPLIPH

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 21, 2012, 03:19:19 AM »
is the Free Play Friday a regular thing now? what about starbase?

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 21, 2012, 10:56:42 AM »
Well, Saturday was a bit impromptu, but free play was on Saturday. A few people showed up, even players who were deaf. They just came to have fun :-D it was nice feeling useful and teaching them stuff. Other than that, Fixel, BBZ, Geo.YUC, JD, and El Gallo Negro showed up.

DJMirror949

• Strongest Tiger
  • Just move along, nothing to read here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 22, 2012, 10:19:44 AM »
Need more sessions imo. Other than that, Nov. 17 will be a blast. Please make sure you guys tune in!

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 24, 2012, 02:47:41 PM »
RIP KOF 13.

2010-2012.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Tikok

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 24, 2012, 03:23:12 PM »
How is KoF XIII dead ?

Ky0

• Scion of Flame
  • MIJU KUMONO MEGA [Location]: Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 24, 2012, 04:20:21 PM »

KoF 4 EVA

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #521 on: October 24, 2012, 04:46:58 PM »
RIP KOF 13.

2010-2012.
?

Please do not reply to posts with only images. This goes for everyone.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Ky0

• Scion of Flame
  • MIJU KUMONO MEGA [Location]: Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 24, 2012, 10:11:08 PM »
To much thrilling...

Anyway, sorry Desmond, you are right.

KoF 4 EVA

Mazinkaiser

• Strongest Tiger
  • Debiru Mashin
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 25, 2012, 12:20:32 AM »
Still in love with xiii.

DCLam

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 25, 2012, 12:49:52 AM »
RIP KOF 13.

2010-2012.

I just got into this game not too long ago I certainly hope not! At least not for another 10 years I hope

I would really like to see KOF XIII take over all the other fighting games out there (at least for the United States) even if it takes 10 years from now. There's a lot of potential in KOF XIII, I'm pretty confident all the active players out there will and should try their best to keep this game alive. Please dont let this game die