Author Topic: Maxima (Arcade Version)  (Read 38925 times)

Raynex

• Strongest Tiger
  • The Emptiest of Hops
    • View Profile
Re: Maxima
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2011, 07:54:57 PM »
cr.C should be something you do on anticipation. If you know someone is going to go low, you get free anything if you GP or hit. For your st.C options, you have a lot of stuff. On hit, you could do super for free damage too. You can also do EX Vapor Cannon and EX Maxima Press will snag them out of the air.

Now would I be letting the C hit them, then cancelling it? The close or far C would both air reset my opponent after the GP. Doesn't that null and void any follow-ups? I come from years of SF so forgive me haha. Are standing C and D interchangeable for GP purposes, or is one better than the other?

Neutral Jump / hop CD is a great "Stop jumping at me!", but really, I wouldn't try to Air-to-Air with him much. Standing Jab and Guard points ARE your AA. Make them fall on that far D! If a character does a single hit move, going into that EX press off the guardpoint cancel is great, or just the regular fall.

I do have suprising success with Full jump D in Air-to-Air, but it's... awkward.

Remember, first off, this isn't a true "low" GP, it's like an anti-air to Deep jumpins, and to standing normals. Low attacks (Like Crouch Bs, and Sweeps) will totally destroy it. But it has great range + can be cancelled, so it's a calculated risk.

I usually jump forward with j.CD, so I'll try neutral jumping next time I play. Can I still combo EX Press off of a neutral j.CD CH?

j.D is so slow! It gets tagged by air-to-air j.As/Bs for free. I only use it to chip away at guard meter during a jump-in blockstring or to start combos if I'm punishing something.

I remember specifically seeing a japanese Maxima use cr.C to LOW GP Andy's cr.D (sweep) and cancel into Weak Vapor Cannon. You're saying non of his moves have low GP?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:01:09 PM by Raynex »
Random: "Man, KOF XII is such an awesome game!"
Iori:

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2011, 08:56:52 PM »
I usually jump forward with j.CD, so I'll try neutral jumping next time I play. Can I still combo EX Press off of a neutral j.CD CH?

You *MIGHT* be able to, but I generally only use EX Press off Counterwire hits myself, I don't like the chance of doing to too early, and eating a combo. I generally use the neutral jump CD wall more as a defense, rather than an offense, you could say.

j.D is so slow! It gets tagged by air-to-air j.As/Bs for free. I only use it to chip away at guard meter during a jump-in blockstring or to start combos if I'm punishing something.

It is slow, but I activate it on the way up. If me and the opponent both jumped, and they're planing to use a move WHEN they get that high, and I used mine befrorehand, they kinda "rest" onto Maxima's hitbox, and get hit, before their high-aimed Air-to-Air normal makes it out.

Risky, again, but it works in odd ways on occassion. I prefer staying grounded though, but I use the kick when jumping over fireballs sometimes, as the more-downward-than-bodybox attack does a good job of trading with DPs and stopping run-after techniques. This is during those annoying time when Lag / personal timing is making me sloppy-hop over (and thus, into) projectiles...

I remember specifically seeing a japanese Maxima use cr.C to LOW GP Andy's cr.D (sweep) and cancel into Weak Vapor Cannon. You're saying non of his moves have low GP?

This is where Maxima's GPs confuse me, you see, which Is why I wish for more GP documentation, haha. For me, it always seems like his GP box is more of a "If GP box meets attack box, GP works" style thing, which means that a Higher-up sweep can sometimes be guarded by a GP (Like Terry's or Iori's), but true "on the ground" lows will always win out (Such as most cround B's, and Maxima's own sweep.)

-------

In the bit of online play I did just recently, I have to say, his DM (and EX) is even more effective than I've traditionally given it credit for. I tried testing the Invincibility of EX DM VS sweeps in training, but only had a few minutes to do so, and came up with no conclusive answers... so if anyone wants to try it out VS various sweeps and such, feel free to do so! ;)

Raynex

• Strongest Tiger
  • The Emptiest of Hops
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2011, 03:49:07 AM »

You *MIGHT* be able to, but I generally only use EX Press off Counterwire hits myself, I don't like the chance of doing to too early, and eating a combo. I generally use the neutral jump CD wall more as a defense, rather than an offense, you could say.

It is slow, but I activate it on the way up. If me and the opponent both jumped, and they're planing to use a move WHEN they get that high, and I used mine befrorehand, they kinda "rest" onto Maxima's hitbox, and get hit, before their high-aimed Air-to-Air normal makes it out.

Risky, again, but it works in odd ways on occassion. I prefer staying grounded though, but I use the kick when jumping over fireballs sometimes, as the more-downward-than-bodybox attack does a good job of trading with DPs and stopping run-after techniques. This is during those annoying time when Lag / personal timing is making me sloppy-hop over (and thus, into) projectiles...

This is where Maxima's GPs confuse me, you see, which Is why I wish for more GP documentation, haha. For me, it always seems like his GP box is more of a "If GP box meets attack box, GP works" style thing, which means that a Higher-up sweep can sometimes be guarded by a GP (Like Terry's or Iori's), but true "on the ground" lows will always win out (Such as most cround B's, and Maxima's own sweep.)

-------

In the bit of online play I did just recently, I have to say, his DM (and EX) is even more effective than I've traditionally given it credit for. I tried testing the Invincibility of EX DM VS sweeps in training, but only had a few minutes to do so, and came up with no conclusive answers... so if anyone wants to try it out VS various sweeps and such, feel free to do so! ;)

If you're neutral j.CD'ing' anyways, wouldn't you want to translate a stray counter-hit into big damage with EX Press? Using it defensively can give you openings to flip momentum in a match.

I hate that cr.C uses are so unclear. Hopefully we can figure out the GP properties of all of his moves. In other news...I took your advice and AAed an opponent from full screen with Neomax. My lord did THAT feel satisfying!
Iori:

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2011, 09:46:24 PM »
The SNKP combo video for Maxima is too cool for school man.

FlyMike

• New Challenger
  • Meatball Sub
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2011, 02:00:42 AM »
That's unbelievable, even after seeing it.

Shit...
Pimp hand, give me strength...

CCVengeance

• New Challenger
  • Looking for offline play
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2011, 02:21:39 AM »
The SNKP combo video for Maxima is too cool for school man.
Dat combo...
Too bad I have abandoned Maxima's combos and simply GP "bitch please" through everything.
It's been surprisingly effective.
KOFXIII team: Team Japan as of 2013

FlyMike

• New Challenger
  • Meatball Sub
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2011, 06:24:37 AM »

Too bad I have abandoned Maxima's combos and simply GP "bitch please" through everything.
It's been surprisingly effective.

Fucking exactly.

I run Max on point. Basic bnbs, hit-confirms, punish combos, and GP everything. Don't even use meter unless I need to get someone off the screen so I might throw an EX Vapor in the combo for extra dmg off the bounce, an EX Air Grab if I'm under pressure, EX Air Vapor to stop....whatever, or close C/D hit-confirm into super. But for the most part I sit on that bar with him and be a wall.

Got a few annoying matchups with him though. Kensou is like a fly in my ear and Andy is too irritating.

Personal gripe: I can't appreciate EX Press as much as some of you guys it seems. Dudes around here are trained to jab upon seeing regular press and simply block when they see the smoke from EX Press. Sure under the right pressure or mixup I can get either off, but I mean for the meter....kinda sucks that EX Press is blockable. Getting that move blocked is like losing a testicle.  It really is.
Pimp hand, give me strength...

Raynex

• Strongest Tiger
  • The Emptiest of Hops
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2011, 11:40:36 PM »
That combo on Raiden was ridiculous...god damn.

I'm running Maxima on anchor, because he honestly feels like half a character on point. There are simply so many characters that start to match his damage output in that position (because he has no bar), so he loses part of what makes him special. If you get one hit, ANY hit (as anchor), the opp. is losing 50%. Something as random as counter-hit j.CD can lead to EX Press -> rape. You can theoretically hop around and play your neutral game like Vice - fish for EX moves. That's how damn good he is with bar.

The D version of press is strictly noob-killer status; it's hard to use a grab that slow against good players strategically. The EX Press however doesn't need to be done randomly. You can literally sit there and wait for shit to whiff. If an opponent is mindlessly hopping about with early j.CDs or another aerial, wait for the move to retract and catch them right before they land for huge damage. You can literally punish any whiffed normal from anywhere on the screen. EX Press is bonkers.
Iori:

CCVengeance

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2011, 12:57:03 AM »
How do I cancel M.Press to his double vapor cannon?
I've seen people use it all the time but I haven't figured it out...

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2011, 01:21:33 AM »
There si a follow-up on the throw, you cancel the follow-up.
You must do the follow up motion before hitting the wall and the SDM motion soon after it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 01:25:04 AM by Sharnt »
Follow me on Twitter for a lot of stuff on KoF XIII :
https://twitter.com/SharntGroMuzo

Raynex

• Strongest Tiger
  • The Emptiest of Hops
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2011, 03:31:47 AM »
HCB+K -> QCB+B (follow-up) xx (EX) DM

Make sure you have dat 50% drive! Turns any command grab into 300+ damage lol
Iori:

CCVengeance

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2011, 09:41:21 PM »
Oh yeah,I just kept trying to cancel the press directly.
In other news, I was playing a decent Maxima match online
but the lights went out as I was about to win.LOL

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2011, 01:22:48 AM »
Hey Maxima players, the wiki got a small update, but we need more information in certain sections. If you want to submit something to the wiki (or point out any mistakes) please post them here for the time being. http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Maxima_%28XIII%29
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2011, 11:58:05 PM »
I forgot to post this here :
 Haregoro testing Console Maxima :
http://www.elive.pro/en/watch/pbWNKum2nxHv

I didn't know maxima's neomax is free juggle, btw see haregoro playing around with him makes willing to play him again  :(
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 12:06:47 AM by Sharnt »
Follow me on Twitter for a lot of stuff on KoF XIII :
https://twitter.com/SharntGroMuzo

BioBooster

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2011, 02:39:04 AM »
Was watching that too. Looks like Haregoro wasn't happy with the damage nerf on press.

Cancelling off of autoguard looks a bit tougher than expected, but definitely still a nice new dynamic imo.