Author Topic: Kim Kap Hwan in KOF 94 - 2000  (Read 3487 times)

CrystalCore

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Kim Kap Hwan in KOF 94 - 2000
« on: January 06, 2013, 03:08:11 AM »
I am trying to be at least competent at these particular SNK games using Kim Kap Hwan, so I have several questions:

1) What are some good ways to practice Kim's normals and combos? Also, in the KOFs I mentioned which have Ground Stomp that can be cancelled into his DM, how much buffering is needed to pull it off consistently?

2) As SNK players here on these forums are well aware, the boss fights are ... something else, and even have their own named Syndrome, which needs no introduction.

The problem I am having is that by using Kim Kap Hwan, he needs to get in their faces to have any chance at all, especially with Goenitz and Krizalid.

Besides practice (obviously) and exploiting A.I. Loops, how on Earth do you get near them to be able to do any damage? What do you guys do in those particular KOF editions? I know I am going to kick myself (no pun intended) trying to find the A.I. loops, but what A.I. loops are there that Kim can exploit?

Over at shoryuken.com's forums, I was told that the Bogards and Kyo, among others, were noob friendly characters, so is it a bad idea to use Kim as one's first SNK character? Also, I am using a Madcatz Brawlstick (the one with the WWE art).

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
Re: Kim Kap Hwan in KOF 94 - 2000
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 03:42:25 AM »
I am trying to be at least competent at these particular SNK games using Kim Kap Hwan, so I have several questions:

Uh, what KOF game specifically are you talking about?

Also, just to let you know, we try to specialize in competitive play against other humans rather than fighting the AI. If you have a question regarding older KOF games, you can find some stuff in this section http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?board=20.0
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

CrystalCore

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 04:11:13 AM »

Uh, what KOF game specifically are you talking about?

Also, just to let you know, we try to specialize in competitive play against other humans rather than fighting the AI. If you have a question regarding older KOF games, you can find some stuff in this section http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?board=20.0

KOF99.  I guess I wasn't being specific enough.  Sorry about that.

I don't consider myself good enough to go up against other people, so that's the only reason I asked about the AI. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 04:12:45 AM by CrystalCore »

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 05:31:27 PM »
Kim's bread and butter range for those particular years (though 98 can do damage in close) is mid range. I use close range in head games or mixing things up to not have a human opponent read my moves. His mid range is a lot safer then his close range. Against a computer opponent that's hard to mix things up with close range and it can get you in trouble. Real quick. Best close range he has is his normal attacks. They hit from different angles to throw off your opponents. It just takes a sec to familiarize yourself to them.

On his qcb + K move the object is to graze him. The further away you are to him while still getting in his hitbox the safer you are. Master the in air qcf + K move. On a short hop it's harder to punish and a good setup for close range attacks, but the best way to use it is to be in mid range to start then short hop to not give your opponent time to prepare for it. He always has good range on his flash kick (down up k) I think the hit box is right in between close and mid range in the earlier games starting in 02 I think it extends to mid range. Better to use LK cause it's safer on most occasions.  I'm playing 98 and 02 of late mostly so my 99 is rusty.

When practicing normals the best practice for Kim is honestly with a human opponent either online or offline. The problem I find with Kim is playing against a computer and against a human is totally different feeling where I keep straight foward attacks against CPU and head games with humans, unlike say Terry where a lot of his bread and butter works on both computer and player. What I find does work similar is the specials and super set ups for the most part.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

CrystalCore

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 11:21:02 PM »
Kim's bread and butter range for those particular years (though 98 can do damage in close) is mid range. I use close range in head games or mixing things up to not have a human opponent read my moves. His mid range is a lot safer then his close range. Against a computer opponent that's hard to mix things up with close range and it can get you in trouble. Real quick. Best close range he has is his normal attacks. They hit from different angles to throw off your opponents. It just takes a sec to familiarize yourself to them.

On his qcb + K move the object is to graze him. The further away you are to him while still getting in his hitbox the safer you are. Master the in air qcf + K move. On a short hop it's harder to punish and a good setup for close range attacks, but the best way to use it is to be in mid range to start then short hop to not give your opponent time to prepare for it. He always has good range on his flash kick (down up k) I think the hit box is right in between close and mid range in the earlier games starting in 02 I think it extends to mid range. Better to use LK cause it's safer on most occasions.  I'm playing 98 and 02 of late mostly so my 99 is rusty.

So what you're saying is use Hishokyaku (his air qcf +k) to get close enough to Krizalid, but still be in Kim's mid-range to use Kim's normals?

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 01:42:06 AM »
No hishisokyaku sets up close range attacks like normals one thought would be a standing c, however staying in for more then a couple of moves is a bad idea. Kim's close range is not very safe. That's why I said his bread and butter is mid range.  Kim is better in a more defensive position.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"