Author Topic: A question to you combo makers  (Read 1819 times)

Persona

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
A question to you combo makers
« on: February 22, 2013, 09:24:50 AM »
When performing combos, do you prefer to start with full gauges even though you don't use them all (so you can easily see how many gauges you spent by the end of the combo) or do you prefer to start with only the amount needed and show how much extra meter you gain during the combo?

I'm curious since I don't know which option is better in terms of details.

I used to have max gauges for the opponent but now I leave it empty so you can see how much meter your opponent gets. Is it even possible to get an extra gauge with HD mode in the combo? I assume a few characters probably need to use some power gauges (with drive gauges, not HD mode) to get the extra power gauge like Kyo and Takuma (do they even need to spend power gauges? I don't have much experience with them).

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: A question to you combo makers
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 04:31:12 PM »
Since i don't make combo videos, i don't bother with having a specific amount of meter, i just count the stuff i put in there. In a combo video however i think you should start with the number of bars needed to start the combo (not the number used, if they differ) to show how much meter is needed to start so people can see when it becomes relevant and how good it really is.

In my opinion the opponent should start from zero meter because from a gameplay perspective the opponents meter gain is important.

If you want to try and make an HD combo that goes back to building meter, try Takuma and end the HD section by bringing the opponent back to the ground with zanretsuken into command throw, that way you get a good number of hits after HD has ended, might be enough to build an extra bar.

Persona

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 03:38:33 PM »
In a combo video however i think you should start with the number of bars needed to start the combo (not the number used, if they differ) to show how much meter is needed to start so people can see when it becomes relevant and how good it really is.

Hmm I'm a bit confused here but I assume you're talking about the minimum amount needed while gaining an extra stock and using that one as well right? I know just about every combo video does that but I was thinking of starting with the amount needed so basically by the time the combo ends and you see an extra meter leftover, you'll know that the combo builds an extra meter.

For example I start a combo with three meters and build a fourth but end the combo at three. The viewer will get the idea that they can actually start the combo with two meters instead of three.

But thanks for the advice!

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 06:15:57 PM »
You got me right.

The reason why it's good to see the minimum amount of meter needed for a combo is because you get to see when it first applies to a match. For example, Bala's stun combo with joe needs 1 bar and 2 drive (a little less really). It becomes relevant to the game as soon as you have that amount of meter. If you would show it off in a combo video starting from the number of bars and drive needed, people would see that not only does it need little meter but also that when all is said and done, you've pretty much built enough meter to start to combo again unless you added extra cancels and EXs ofcourse.

In your example, isn't it possible that the bar built in the combo is gained too late and that it is only really useable at the end while it might be needed earlier thus not making the combo possible from two bars?