Author Topic: Where are your eyes focused?  (Read 3852 times)

SuperVehicle001

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Where are your eyes focused?
« on: March 27, 2013, 10:44:40 PM »
I noticed something about how I play. For the most part my primary focus is on my own character. I usually see the opponent in my peripheral vision. Is this a habit to break? Should I instead have my vision "centered" on the opponent and use peripheral vision to see what my own character is doing?
PSN: MetalSlugIV

"The future is not determined by the throw of the dice; it is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
-Phong

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Where are your eyes focused?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 03:10:40 PM »
I have the same problem and I do believe that one should keep their eyes on the opponent and the space between the one's character and the opponent's character.

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 06:39:14 PM »
It's not necessarly bad per se to focus on your character but it does make it harder to manage spacing when you mostly see what is immediately in front of you. The more of the screen you can see the better off you are.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 03:03:00 AM »
The more of the screen you can see the better off you are.

That's what I try to do as well. Other than that, it depends on who my opponent is. If it's me vs Clark or Daimon, I might look at my character more, or the distance between us. If it's me vs Saiki or King, I'm watching them more to see how they will zone, and I'll follow their projectiles.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 08:34:49 AM »
When you deal with grapplers for me zoning isn't a major issue. I tend to pay more attention to the opponent looking for tells rather then worrying about the general picture.  Besides most grapplers like to get as close as possible anyways.

Only bad part I have with following projectiles is you get so into following the first one that you get smacked with the next one or don't pay attention to you opponent charging you.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 08:38:58 AM by Mr Bakaboy »

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 06:50:21 AM »
When you deal with grapplers for me zoning isn't a major issue. I tend to pay more attention to the opponent looking for tells rather then worrying about the general picture.  Besides most grapplers like to get as close as possible anyways.

The expecption's being Vice's Decide (hcf.K) or Daimon's Jiraishin (dp.P)
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Merkilo

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Where are your eyes focused?
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 08:19:18 AM »
Personally I focus on the space between the 2 characters although I am starting to wonder if looking directly at the opposing character is more beneficial for reactions

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 08:27:38 AM »
When you deal with grapplers for me zoning isn't a major issue. I tend to pay more attention to the opponent looking for tells rather then worrying about the general picture.  Besides most grapplers like to get as close as possible anyways.

The expecption's being Vice's Decide (hcf.K) or Daimon's Jiraishin (dp.P)

Actually Goro's Jiraishin is one main reason I focus on him. If you see the down motion of the dp soon enough it can give you enough time to jump at him taking him by suprise (though online is a pain to do it). Vice's Decide you're right I have to treat her differently cause it comes out too quick to do much. She's a case by case basis depending on how the player uses her.

I will say though looking for tells isn't always about watching your opponent. A classic one is dealing with fireball users. I'll use king as an example. When you listen to her say venom strike it can tell you a lot. If the fireballs come out slow more then likely they are baiting you to come at them. If they come out fast but have a rhythm to them then chances are the opponent is very dangerous in between fireballs. However if the fireballs come out fast and have no rhythm or pattern then more then likely your opponent is throwing them out wrecklessly and is easy prey for a counterattack.

An example on how to use this info would be you hear the slow venom strikes so you know your opponent wants you to be aggressive. So you throw fireballs back to get him to speed up throwing his fireballs. If. You can feel a rhythm then be careful a feint might be a way to work around him, but if you can get him to speed up fireballs with no rhythm then you can roll, or jump attack away cause he's easy prey.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:43:59 PM by Mr Bakaboy »