Author Topic: Shen Woo (Arcade Version)  (Read 33456 times)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Shen Woo
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 09:38:32 AM »
For Shen's Bakuten, is it possible for me to input it fast enough so that he just does it without doing a st.C first?

No, but you can use something else to buffer it like d.A

The mook talks about hold down and tap, d.A, d.C (d.C doesn't come out), d.A, d.B (d.B doesn't either) and press C to confirm.  Visually, it looks like you're doing d.A x2 but if they jump, just complete the input.  The buffer time is pretty lenient, you can do something like d.C, dash (not too far) --> A.B.C.

How exactly am I pressuring as Shen? What I'm doing is fishing for a knock down and then constant hop C or run for way longer than I should aiming for a counterhit C into a combo. I'm also using things like C f.B qcf+C and either charging or canceling into sweep right away. Any other techniques I should be aware of that would help my pressure game?

Sounds like you got the gist of it but remember there are like 5-6 Shen players now in our arcade and everyone plays him slightly differently.  Generally:
-I use qcf+A for quick poking, it does wonders on hoppers as well
-qcf C is used for the cancel into mixups for sweeps or dash command grabs or fully charged punches
-s.C, f.B, hcb~f+P is the combo of choice if you're not using drive or stocks
-s.C, f.B, qcf+BD, qcf D, qcf B, far B if you don't want to use drive.
-j.CD to control the air
-Vertical j.CD stops so many attacks it's not funny
-After conditioning your opponent to block a lot, dash command throw.  The Ex version setups nasty combos (--> qcf+BD etc...)
-s.As for poking into dash pokes and then some more pokes.
-If possible, avoid using f.B in a block string and only use if you know it's going to connect.  d.C (blocked), qcf+C (hold).D into whatever is good enough pressure and harder for your opponent to GCAB out of.
-Never use Shen's Hammer in a block string if you don't want to eat a combo.
-Far C (autoguard) into DM if it's a "counter" for air-to-ground attack, or just cancel into DM if you autoguard a ground attack
-Far C (autoguard) into HD mode works well but takes some practice.
-Some ppl like to go for Shen's 1 drive+super combo (s.C, f.B, qcf+BD, (delay) qcf+D, qcb+A.qcf+A, [DC], qcf+D, (qcf+A), DM and some ppl rather save it for Hyperdrive.
-End a HD combo in CABC if you know the more damaging Ex DM (qcf x2+AC) isn't going to kill them.  The extra 30% damage of the CABC will pay off as long as you're not too defensive.  EDIT: I stand corrected, turns out his CABC is subjected to the 30% increase in damage itself, so it does 312dmg instead of the original 240 I thought.  Ex qcf x2+P does 320dmg.
-Kunio likes to s.CD from afar, fish for a counter, then DM

I know that's not answering your question directly but I hope that helps.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:48:40 AM by Kane317 »

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 05:40:02 AM »
Kane your post is way more helpful to me than you think! So many more options I never knew about. On the execution side of the field I can do Haregoro's HD combo 90% of the time. I need to learn how to force them to make mistakes better so I can start landing it in actual matches but I think that'll come with time. Today was a really bad day for me so I'm gonna take a break from playing for 2 or 3 days.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
Kane your post is way more helpful to me than you think! So many more options I never knew about. On the execution side of the field I can do Haregoro's HD combo 90% of the time. I need to learn how to force them to make mistakes better so I can start landing it in actual matches but I think that'll come with time. Today was a really bad day for me so I'm gonna take a break from playing for 2 or 3 days.

Thanks, I'm really no longer the person to really ask about Shen since so many ppl picked him up in the last few months but I'm glad to lend any experience I have to better equip your Shen =)  As for a break, what's that?  =)

---
For those who find it challenging to do three light hits into HD here's something I noticed something, ironically, when I was watching the video over and over again to practice the timing (like DDR haha).  Why the fuss since it's just d.B x2, s.B, d.C, f.B --> HD combo...?

Many of you know by now, that normally if you're doing two light attacks into HD (e.g d.B, s.A for most characters will work) you can tap BC as if it was a third light hit chain and a s.C will come out automatically (referred as activating HD late).  If you try to do the same thing after three light hits and activate the HD late, most of the time you're too far and the s.C will miss, hence you have to actually press BC early (making him auto-dash) and time the s.C manually. Since I'm rhythmically challenged, it's not as easy as I'd like so I stick with two hits and press BC--all the in the same "rhythm".

In the clip above, I'm almost positive but need to confirm, that the player is doing: d.B, d.B, s.B, d.BC in order to d.C into f.B after activating--hence the rhythm should be the same and d.C has deceptively good horizontal range.  Also, d.C, not matter how far it is, is going to be a d.C but s.C becomes far C after a certain distance.

May not work for everyone, but this should work for characters with a good horizontal hit box for their d.C like Chin etc...

tl;dr - don't bother reading if you have decent hand-eye coordination plus manually dexterity.

UPDATE: Fail. Turns out he still manually inputs the d.C after autodashing, back to square one.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:56:39 AM by Kane317 »

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 06:03:49 PM »
Lately I've been landing falcon punches (charged qcf+c) all day but I can never get a full combo afterwards. My st.C always resets them. is there a trick I'm missing or am I doing something wrong? I see videos of people getting falcon punch into a full st.C f.B combo.

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 07:16:48 PM »
Lately I've been landing falcon punches (charged qcf+c) all day but I can never get a full combo afterwards. My st.C always resets them. is there a trick I'm missing or am I doing something wrong? I see videos of people getting falcon punch into a full st.C f.B combo.

If they block it and you guard crush them, you can do a full combo.

If they don't block and get hit, the next attack will cause them to be hit into the air even if it's a s.C. In this case, you would want to do one of the following.

1. super
2. qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcf+D, super (2 power gauge)
3. qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcb+A, qcf+A -> DC qcf+D, qcf+A, super (2 power gauage, 1 drive cancel)
4. qcb+A, qcf+A -> DC qcf+D, qcb+A, qcf+A (1 drive cancel)
5. (corner) qcf+D, s.C or super

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 08:44:12 PM »
Ooooh okay that explains a lot haha. I can't really remember clearly but I think most of my hits were guard crushing but I was still screwing up. Do you think it's a timing thing or am I remembering things wrong.

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 08:50:04 PM »
Ooooh okay that explains a lot haha. I can't really remember clearly but I think most of my hits were guard crushing but I was still screwing up. Do you think it's a timing thing or am I remembering things wrong.

You just need to watch the opponent or look for the guard crush to pop up on the screen. If you see it, do a normal combo. If you don't see it and the move hits, do one of those 5 options above.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 08:56:50 PM »

If they block it and you guard crush them, you can do a full combo.

If they don't block and get hit, the next attack will cause them to be hit into the air even if it's a s.C. In this case, you would want to do one of the following.

1. super
2. qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcf+D, super (2 power gauge)
3. qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcb+A, qcf+A -> DC qcf+D, qcf+A, super (2 power gauage, 1 drive cancel)
4. qcb+A, qcf+A -> DC qcf+D, qcb+A, qcf+A (1 drive cancel)
5. (corner) qcf+D, s.C or super

If you don't have any super then s.CD does the most damage.

Don't forget there are 4 characters that have more Guard Crush units(?) then the rest, everyone has 100 but Clark&Ralf have 120 and Maxima&Goro have 150, gangstas.  Anyone that can block SHEN WOO PUNCH (although the Falcon Punch reference was pretty funny) is gangsta.

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 09:25:17 PM »
I didn't know Goro could block Shen Paunch. No one uses him here so that explains why. I really need to learn a different style to mix things up. Lately i just turtle like crazy until I get a clean hit and then I usually end up backing off and turtling again. It works, kind of but my defense is awful so it makes no sense that I'm playing him like this haha. I know the theory of how to rush down with Shen but I can't apply it for some reason.

Then again I guess a strong defense is what leads to a more solid player. Some stuff I try to use is like Far C, d.C, qcf+A, j.CD, st.A, and GCAB to get out. Depending on the type of jump in I end up using different things. In general as I play I forget to use more than one type of anti air and I start leaning towards d.C and st.A. My biggest problem is if I get put in the corner. I end up blocking all day and then slipping up and eating a giant combo. I really need to remember to CD out or roll or something. That one meter is definitely good for getting them off and letting me take control of the flow of the match.

Wow, why did I just write all that haha. Does anyone have suggestions for an HD combo I can use when I am in the corner? I try to use the qcf+D [DC] qcf+C, qcf+A one. I forget who made that popular but that doesn't work if I'm in the corner. What I'm thinking is I can do qcf+D [DC] qcf+C(charge) [DC] qcf+D. Would looping that work?

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 12:38:29 AM »
I didn't know Goro could block Shen Paunch. No one uses him here so that explains why. I really need to learn a different style to mix things up. Lately i just turtle like crazy until I get a clean hit and then I usually end up backing off and turtling again. It works, kind of but my defense is awful so it makes no sense that I'm playing him like this haha. I know the theory of how to rush down with Shen but I can't apply it for some reason.

Then again I guess a strong defense is what leads to a more solid player. Some stuff I try to use is like Far C, d.C, qcf+A, j.CD, st.A, and GCAB to get out. Depending on the type of jump in I end up using different things. In general as I play I forget to use more than one type of anti air and I start leaning towards d.C and st.A. My biggest problem is if I get put in the corner. I end up blocking all day and then slipping up and eating a giant combo. I really need to remember to CD out or roll or something. That one meter is definitely good for getting them off and letting me take control of the flow of the match.

Wow, why did I just write all that haha. Does anyone have suggestions for an HD combo I can use when I am in the corner? I try to use the qcf+D [DC] qcf+C, qcf+A one. I forget who made that popular but that doesn't work if I'm in the corner. What I'm thinking is I can do qcf+D [DC] qcf+C(charge) [DC] qcf+D. Would looping that work?

If you use that eventually they'll get knocked too far out of your range. This is the one you want to use.

qcb+A, qcf+A -> HDC qcf+D -> HDC qcf+C -> HDC qcf+D -> HDC qcb+A (miss), qcf+A -> HDC qcf+D -> qcf+D(or A) -> super of choice or d.C
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:33:03 AM by Ash »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 12:56:42 AM »
If you use that eventually they'll get knocked too far out of your range. This is the one you want to use.

qcb+A, qcf+A -> HDC qcf+D -> HDC qcf+C -> HDC qcf+D -> HDC qcb+A, qcf+A -> HDC qcf+D -> qcf+D(or A) -> super of choice or d.C

EDIT: Or the triple hammer is the one I use =)  EDIT2: Here's the same thing with a d.B starter.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:20:31 AM by Kane317 »

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 01:01:43 AM »
Yeah I learned that the hard way haha. I'll spend some time getting this down tomorrow, thanks!

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 04:50:24 AM »
Found out something today - Already knew shen can cancel his qcb+C (Fixed -Kane317) to another special move when canceling fireballs, but it can cancel into itself. If the opponent does a multi fireball move, you can cancel them all =P
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 01:21:27 AM by Kane317 »

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 07:30:55 AM »
Not surprised, though I think it's only useful for a handful of characters. Double Strike, EX Ventose and EX Hurricane Upper are the only ones I could think of, as well as some super cancelled projectiles. In theory, Athena's EX Psycho Reflector would work too, but Shen doesn't have a projectile, so...

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 11:49:44 PM »
Found out something today - Already knew shen can cancel his qcb+P to another special move when canceling fireballs, but it can cancel into itself. If the opponent does a multi fireball move, you can cancel them all =P

I guessing you are referring to qcb+C right, cause the way you are saying it sounds like you are referring to both versions A and C which would be wrong since A version is the Hammer.

Also wasn't there a challenge in KOF XI about this? Shen vs Kings Leader Super or something?
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof