Author Topic: New  (Read 6644 times)

guilekerplinski1

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
New
« on: July 12, 2013, 02:47:05 AM »
Ive been playing kof 13 for a while now, watching juicebox videos and practicing quite a bit. I still dont feel like im getting better. Im basically still at day 3 with andys st.c, f+b kuhaden break combo, lots of crouching b's and hops. But i dont feel like i get it. This game is perhaps a little over complex, too many tools. And when i practice i get add and fuzz out. Seriously no offense to people who love this game but i think its a little insane that in order to setup basic offense your gonna have to consult frame data.  I just dont care that much, and i dont even feel comfortable playing the game still. You think maybe that made the game a little harder then it needed to be? And i read this laban guy saying kof isnt that hard. Theres so many potential things you can do in a given situation, its impossible for a beginner to even wrap their head around all of it. And it doesnt help that the online sucks, and the only people to play online are level 20 to 40 players while im a lvl 4

guilekerplinski1

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: New
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 02:48:57 AM »
Basically you wanna do newbs a favor, mention that your probably gonna need 100+ hrs in training and playing before you intermediate. Juicebox mentioned he had over 800 hrs played when he first started his video series. Probably 1500 now.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 02:57:58 AM »
You sound very frustrated right now. If you truly believe its impossible and that you can't improve and that you aren't learning, then you probably won't improve and it will be impossible. Learning any new game or skill is difficult at first. There are tons of resource online (videos, written guides) to help players improve, it mainly relies on your perseverance and willing-ness to improve. Also, don't compare yourself to others when it comes to leveling up. Everyone has their own pace.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

guilekerplinski1

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 03:02:12 AM »
yeah sorta, because its a matter of everytime i play online, i get rushed down thrown into corner and then comboed into oblivion. If i get out of the corner sometimes i will be able to throw down a kensou confirm rekka rekka rekka, but its like i didnt even know until today that combos are are way far advanced thing for a new player. You should be practicing hit confirms and normals and not even worry about combos for awhile. Just wish there was someone who lived close to actually play in person with

guilekerplinski1

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 03:05:35 AM »
And i agree theres tons of material out there, its just everything about this game needs to be made much more accessible, i feel like im learning things out of order, or even skipping basics and moving on to early. I'd like to ask a simple question, What are the most important things a newb can learn, Normals? Basic character moves? Where do i go from there? Im going to rewatch the basics video, and maybe see if i can start simple on something. I enjoy the game i just dont enjoy the feeling of having my ass handed to me time and again. And the game not feeling natural yet
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:07:31 AM by guilekerplinski1 »

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 03:20:46 AM »
And i agree theres tons of material out there, its just everything about this game needs to be made much more accessible, i feel like im learning things out of order, or even skipping basics and moving on to early. I'd like to ask a simple question, What are the most important things a newb can learn, Normals? Basic character moves? Where do i go from there? Im going to rewatch the basics video, and maybe see if i can start simple on something. I enjoy the game i just dont enjoy the feeling of having my ass handed to me time and again. And the game not feeling natural yet

I think the information is really accessible, I feel that people just want to become good WAY TOO FAST. That makes players skip on focusing and learning the basics right away while focusing on just wanting to win or land combos all the time when they just started.

The most important thing a newb should learn is to be patient and not take their losses personally to judge themselves on their potential to learn the game. But within KOFXIII (or KOF games in general) I feel new players need to learn normals, proper spacing, hops, hit-confirms, then combos later. You can watch a few of those concepts in the Dandy J video, and other guides either on this site or in different places.

And of course the game doesn't feel natural yet, you just started playing. It's going to take time and experience. Stop judging yourself so soon.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:23:33 AM by Desmond Delaghetto »

DCLam

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 03:43:30 AM »
When I first started this game, I remember how I lost 300 games in a row before I even won my first game. It takes time man just be patient and keep at it. It was a great feeling though when I finally won one

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 05:22:02 AM »
Funny that you get tutorials from Juicebox. I'm sure he would mention something of never playing XIII online. The game is too fast to be played at such a setting.

The amount of frame data that is needed for this game is very little compare to some of the other titles like Tekken or VF. Just remember the start-up frames and the advantage frames of your characters' buttons and moves.

As for there being many tools, nah. IMO, there's actually less tools than other KOF games when it comes to zoning and neutral game.

Can I assume you play sf4? What other characters would you like to play in KOF XIII?

chessmaster

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 05:25:33 AM »
yes, I am also a fellow noob and I concur. You just have to stick with it, and yes it seems it will take a LONG time to get even decent at kof. There is no way around it. If you are on Xbox, we can see if we can get a good connection? Because I'm looking for someone learning the game as well.

guilekerplinski1

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 11:54:22 AM »
yeah but you may also mention the fact that unless your in a large metropolitan area, you will not find people to play kof with f2f. So what other choice do you have if you want  to play people. Online? I guess i could beat the training mode horse dead but thats only fun for an hr

AlexTwo

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: Re: New
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 03:24:55 PM »
You should stop by Juicebox's stream every now and then, not only will he answer anything you ask, but the chat itself is helpful and is FULL of people in your position who are also willing to play online games if the connection is decent

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 05:21:18 PM »
yeah but you may also mention the fact that unless your in a large metropolitan area, you will not find people to play kof with f2f.

That's only true if you believe that. As long as you make threads for your area here or at SRK, or any other fighting game site, and keep an eye out, someone might pop up. That's something you will need to not be attached to. Players come out of nowhere and it is very unexpected.

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 08:58:22 PM »
Keep an eye on KOF after major tourneys the new players seem to come out. I see more on the weekends where the weekdays is mostly the type of people you talk about. Personally if I were you. I would make a match saying you are new. If you can't find anybody try bugging people here (we have a find players local to you section) and mention you're trying to learn. The better players usually will back off a bit giving you a challenge, while still letting you try to work through the learning process. Plus you can ask lots of questions and they might be able to make it easier on you.

Nobody likes to be bodied when just starting to learn and I'm sure you can find a decent connection player who is willing to play casual.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

guilekerplinski1

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 12:11:26 AM »
yeah it seems like most of the vets are really good about letting me try a few things before they hand my @ss to me

guilekerplinski1

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 01:04:37 AM »
btw thanks everyone and desmond appreciate the comments.