Author Topic: '02 or XIII for a beginner?  (Read 5051 times)

PoombyBear

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
'02 or XIII for a beginner?
« on: June 16, 2014, 08:23:06 PM »
The real question is should I be trying to play against real players on GGPO or is it fine for a beginner to just play the computer in XIII?  I don't have time to play both, and my computer can't run the PC version of XIII.

I haven't mastered the jumps yet and right now I can only play one character at a basic level with simple bnbs.  I'm having fun, and I assume I"ll eventually need to play real people to get better, I just want to know if I can get to intermediate w/ just the computer. 

Kinda bummed out about having to learn different movesets for the same characters if I do go to '02, but it seems that's how KoF works.

I appreciate any input :)!

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
Re:
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 10:02:07 PM »
Play real players in 02 on ggpo. Get the movement and spacing down and it will help in kofxiii.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

PoombyBear

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: '02 or XIII for a beginner?
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 10:27:28 PM »
Thank you :)!  I'll get busy on '02 later today.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 05:38:17 AM »
Make sure you play players with a Brazilian flag.

PoombyBear

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 06:50:13 AM »
Played '02 on GGPO today, got completely bodied. Didn't expect anything else going into a 12 year-old game. 

I don't mind losing but I can't really learn when I lose so quickly >_<.  I think I'll stick to XIII computer opponents until I can do whatever jump when I want and when I'm am used to playing three different characters in one match.  I don't mind, I have fun doing it :3.  Once I get that down I might venture into '02 GGPO again.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 04:10:27 PM »
Played '02 on GGPO today, got completely bodied. Didn't expect anything else going into a 12 year-old game. 

I don't mind losing but I can't really learn when I lose so quickly >_<.  I think I'll stick to XIII computer opponents until I can do whatever jump when I want and when I'm am used to playing three different characters in one match.  I don't mind, I have fun doing it :3.  Once I get that down I might venture into '02 GGPO again.

I was going to say that you should not give up and place judgment on yourself so fast, but I can understand if you feel that you aren't ready to play those opponents.

If you really feel that you need more time to get your movement down, then spar with the CPU in practice mode, then try doing survival mode to practice landing and not dropping your bnb combos.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

PoombyBear

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 12:49:25 AM »
Thanks Desmond, I agree, I think that's the best strategy for someone at my level right now.  I'll keep working on basic hop and bnb execution until I feel more comfortable, then I'll give GGPO a shot again.

p.s. Just listened to one of your older dream cancel radio talks, it was pretty cool.  I'll be checking them out in the future.

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 08:45:44 AM »
I would say play XII to get started

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 09:19:20 AM »
I would say play XII to get started

That's terrible advice because XII doesn't play like a KOF game at all.

AirLancer

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 04:58:42 PM »
Also because XII is just a terrible game.

NipponIchi!

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 01:12:11 AM »
Take this with a grain of salt as I'm pretty much a beginner myself but I'm of the opinion that PvP>>>CPU.
When I was playing Blazblue and I was pretty much a newbie I dove into online matches pretty fast and in fact my very first match resulted in my very first win(lucky) but playing online for a few hours and for a few days helped me tremendously.I don't think if I'd spent the same amount of time playing against the cpu would have helped as much because the pace is a lot slower and not losing doesn't force you to learn much.
At the same time it can be pretty discouraging if you keep losing and it's more likely that you'll be up against intermediate players as opposed to players your level.

As someone mentioned earlier try to play against the CPU in training mode.Also try a few combos against the training dummy and repeat commands you might have trouble with.That's what I do in practice mode.