Author Topic: Training Partners  (Read 4855 times)

toashinrock

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Training Partners
« on: September 15, 2015, 08:10:15 AM »
I'm currently in search of some training partners in the game. This way I can steadily improve my gameplay within this beast known as kofxiii

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

PSN: GAFGC_Shinrock
Currently Playing: KOF XIV, SFV, GGXrdR, BBCF

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
Re: Training Partners
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 10:17:43 AM »
Do you play on Steam? Where are you located?
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

toashinrock

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 11:13:14 AM »
Do you play on Steam? Where are you located?

I know this was old, but I was going to touch up on it once I got to a PC.  Well I don't play on steam, but I do have the game on xbox live and looking for someone to train with to level up.  I wanna become a force, but I'm having a hard time grasping this buffering system as well as linking normals altogether.  Guess I should really look into the KOf guide for Street Fighter players.  Any tips would help? 

I'm located in Georgia. 

Hobojim

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 08:27:05 AM »
Linking in this game is, for the most part, not as integral as it is in street fighter. Combos are generally structured as normal -> command normal -> specials -> optional super. Buffering moves is much easier too, you can hold the button after the motion for a special and it effectively repeats the input for a while afterwards, so timing specials is really easy.

Who are you using and what are you having trouble with, specifically?

toashinrock

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 10:32:13 AM »
Linking in this game is, for the most part, not as integral as it is in street fighter. Combos are generally structured as normal -> command normal -> specials -> optional super. Buffering moves is much easier too, you can hold the button after the motion for a special and it effectively repeats the input for a while afterwards, so timing specials is really easy.

Who are you using and what are you having trouble with, specifically?

Well I been trying to master this buffering moves thing by holding buttons on the stick for quite some time.  And I've yet to quite figure it out.  Like in the Gauge system Tutorial I'll get to the part where I have to cancel Kyo's SDM into his Neo Wave Move or whatever it's called, but it's like I'm doing it too late.  I'm not sure if it's needs to be done in the air.  It's just I want to get that down first, but I'm having quite a bit of trouble with it.  I'm not set on a team, but I like King, Leona, and Mr. Karate so far, but that can also be replaced with some Ryo.   So if you would be willing to help me I would be glad to hear any advice. 

Hobojim

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 08:08:43 PM »
Holding the button usually makes the timing pretty easy, but it doesn't completely get rid of the need for timing. You still have to be reasonably close to when you would need to input the move, and it doesn't work for normals. If the moves are not coming out at all, you're likely doing the motion and pressing the button too early, or after the cancellable window of the move you're doing beforehand. Without knowing exactly which cancel you're trying to do, it's hard to tell which.

As for Kyo cancelling his DM into Neomax, you have to be in HD mode, and that one requires 3 or 4 bars to do altogether, depending on if you're using his EX DM or regular DM. If you're in HD and have enough meter, you can do that cancel really fast. The motion for his Orochinagi (his DM) is qcb,hcf+P, and his neomax is qcf,qcf+AC. The timing for this isn't too bad. You should start the neomax motion pretty much right away after the DM and hold the AC at the end, it should come out easily enough. You have a decent amount of time in between, so you don't need to rush it. The Neomax will come out almost as soon as the DM hits. Kyo's Neomax can't be done in the air, so this is all on the ground.

King is a great character for new players to start with in my opinion. I have a lot of trouble trying to do Mr. Karate's more complicated stuff like super-jump cancels, but if you can pull that off then that's great, keep doing what you're doing. He's a very good and versatile character. It's a good idea to try out a few and see who best fits your playstyle and who really "clicks" with you in general.

toashinrock

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 05:14:41 AM »
Holding the button usually makes the timing pretty easy, but it doesn't completely get rid of the need for timing. You still have to be reasonably close to when you would need to input the move, and it doesn't work for normals. If the moves are not coming out at all, you're likely doing the motion and pressing the button too early, or after the cancellable window of the move you're doing beforehand. Without knowing exactly which cancel you're trying to do, it's hard to tell which.

As for Kyo cancelling his DM into Neomax, you have to be in HD mode, and that one requires 3 or 4 bars to do altogether, depending on if you're using his EX DM or regular DM. If you're in HD and have enough meter, you can do that cancel really fast. The motion for his Orochinagi (his DM) is qcb,hcf+P, and his neomax is qcf,qcf+AC. The timing for this isn't too bad. You should start the neomax motion pretty much right away after the DM and hold the AC at the end, it should come out easily enough. You have a decent amount of time in between, so you don't need to rush it. The Neomax will come out almost as soon as the DM hits. Kyo's Neomax can't be done in the air, so this is all on the ground.

King is a great character for new players to start with in my opinion. I have a lot of trouble trying to do Mr. Karate's more complicated stuff like super-jump cancels, but if you can pull that off then that's great, keep doing what you're doing. He's a very good and versatile character. It's a good idea to try out a few and see who best fits your playstyle and who really "clicks" with you in general.

I finally done the thing with Kyo and I feel a bit more accomplished.  I totally get what you saying when you say it's based on holding the buttons while buffering the motions for it.   I'm also probably going to drop Mr.Karate as the super jump cancel thing was something i always had trouble with.   

Now another issue is I'm still having trouble getting out these button buffers.  It's almost like I'm pushing myself to have god like execution and performing the moves precisely.  Perhaps, I'm putting too much pressure on myself in learning how to maximize what little knowledge I do have and that you have imparted on me.   That it's possibly hindering my ability to improve upon this technique.  I found Mature an interesting character to pair with my King.  I think so far my Femme Fatale is straight although I wanna add Leona in there, but I need some people that hit hard to properly find my team.  I've used some Hwa, Kula, Kyo, EX Kyo, and Terry to just name a few.  Now it's time to finally bring it full circle, maybe a Ryo or Takuma?

Hobojim

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 06:20:42 AM »
If you're looking for suggestions, Terry is a good character to start with. He does decent damage, and his combos are not too difficult and can be extended with meter. Here's a really good article on Terry and EX Kyo directed at beginners. Ryo is also reasonably easy to use, I think.

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about team composition until you get a bit more experience under your belt. It's a lot more important to find three characters that you have fun playing than trying to find three that complement each other well. People agonize over which team to start when they're new to the game, when they should just be playing characters that are fun and learning how to play.

Just to be clear, on the button hold trick: You need to do the motion for the special/super, and THEN hold down the button or buttons. You don't hold the button down, do the motion, and then release the button. I'm sure you're doing it correctly, but based on your last post it's possible that you weren't, so I'm just making sure we're on the same page.

toashinrock

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 08:27:53 AM »
If you're looking for suggestions, Terry is a good character to start with. He does decent damage, and his combos are not too difficult and can be extended with meter. Here's a really good article on Terry and EX Kyo directed at beginners. Ryo is also reasonably easy to use, I think.

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about team composition until you get a bit more experience under your belt. It's a lot more important to find three characters that you have fun playing than trying to find three that complement each other well. People agonize over which team to start when they're new to the game, when they should just be playing characters that are fun and learning how to play.

Just to be clear, on the button hold trick: You need to do the motion for the special/super, and THEN hold down the button or buttons. You don't hold the button down, do the motion, and then release the button. I'm sure you're doing it correctly, but based on your last post it's possible that you weren't, so I'm just making sure we're on the same page.

Alright.  Also, I was definitely doing it wrong due to the fact that I was definitely holding the button down before doing the motion lol.   I guess that's something I have to work on and I get what you saying.  Thanks man.  You're really helpful man.  Keep in contact man...Do you play on Xbox?

Hobojim

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 08:34:41 AM »
Nope, my xbox died on me. I'm on steam. I usually check here daily, though, so feel free to ask away.