Author Topic: Harada (Tekken) on 'Good Netcode'  (Read 2320 times)

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Harada (Tekken) on 'Good Netcode'
« on: April 07, 2015, 05:50:45 PM »
Interesting article on Harada and what makes good netcode for Tekken, and other fighters.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/apr/06/harada-good-netcode-theres-no-such-code-automatically-makes-latency-issues-go-away-magic-tekken-7s-low-lag-techniques-explained/#comments

I do agree with him on designing games with netcode in-mind; I think games like SkullGirls, the new KI, maybe the ArcSys games (Blazblue, Guilty Gear) could be good examples, but I do wonder if there are any significant drawbacks to that.

What do you guys think?
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Harada (Tekken) on 'Good Netcode'
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 06:57:55 PM »
That crap is confusing. I could swear Tekken (and Smash for that matter) is based on giving offline extra input delay to help with online matches. Yet his first explanation talks about how that is a problem.

With Tekken it always felt like the input delay gets to be too much too quickly. It's smooth, but a lot of input delay.

Nowadays you almost have to. KOF XIII was the last game I remember to not do this and it's pretty much unplayable (at least to offline standards). The problem I have with most games now is making the gameplay slower or more defensive (like SFIV) to offset this. I love playing crazy, balls to the wall offensive style at times, but online there's like a ceiling preventing a lot of what I want to do. So, to win most times I turn to either defensive, or methotical style. It works, but is boring after a while.

Personally I find myself playing older titles because it just doesn't feel as limited. I can play the same online and offline as I always do. I just wish the companies would produce more rather then getting the same titles on different systems. (98UM, 02UM)
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 05:34:41 AM »
For your more aggressive style, do Blazblue/Guilty Gear games accommodate you well enough, or is that a little different?
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 10:48:17 AM »
 I never really got into Blaz Blue. Guilty Gear is fun, but it's never been a favorite of mine. I do play GG Xrd now and then. I dunno how to put my feelings towards it other then it feels kinda bland. I tend to find myself using the same sthick over and over cause it works, where in a KOF, Tekken, or SF using the same sthick over and over will get you killed.

I think with a GG Xrd netcode, something like a new KOF could be worth it, or possibly throwing KOF XIII on the current gen systems might make it play better. As for now I'm happy to play the older games online and hope technology advances further to the point where worring about netcode becomes moot (at least playing within your country)
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"