Author Topic: KOFXIV Announced for 2016  (Read 349809 times)

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: KOFXIV Announced for 2016
« Reply #720 on: March 21, 2016, 03:47:37 PM »
I think it's a great thing if they keep combos down from how they are in 13. What gets so weird with 13 is that what would normally be a mixup for mixups sake becomes just another combo starter. Everything everywhere becomes a 50/50 sometimes with little to no risk and huge rewards and imo that dumbs down the game.

Imo, it should be enough to have short and sweet options after for example a launcher; juggle with a special then reset with a normal or end with a dp for more damage. stuff like that lets both players remain in the game. And even if combos are fairly short you may still have different timings to work with to throw your opponent off or use meaty hits after resets to gain frameadvantage and so on.

The scariest thing about the game for me right now is that everyone keeps talking about 2k2 and i really hope 14 will be nothing like it. Then again, people talked about 2k2 before 13 came out aswell and imo they feel nothing alike so hopefully it's the same misleading jargon once again.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 21, 2016, 03:54:09 PM »
Removing the really long combos from XIII was one of their goals so I wouldn't expect there to be really long combos period.

The system, as it is now, seems to remove long combos and replaces them with more frequent mid sized combos.

There should be plenty of variety between the EX, wall bounce and ground bounce systems. In XIII you could combo a CD attack after activating HD, it was useless there but in XIV that should allow for incorporating wall bounce into Max mode combos.

What's interesting in XIV is that jumping has become more dangerous due to how meter consumption works. In XIII the risk/reward favored the jumper most of the time but in XIV you should be able to punish jumps harder due to how little meter super cancels require.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 03:56:28 PM by Diavle »

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 21, 2016, 05:19:13 PM »
Interesting posts guys... I thought the big combos would be fine if they scaled the damage enough.

@diavle Nice point about the meter usage. Yeah I agree fully, super cancels are gonna worth using to stop their jump or hops. And yes they are working on making more interesting EX moves with different properties to create new gameplay scenarios.

@The Fluke I guess I must accept this game is a new game and wont be like 02 in the way combo's are used. I don't doubt SNK to make a game complicated, as they have done this many times before. It will be exciting to see what they do with this game.

The will be a tournament for this game soon, they have to share the game system with them to give them practice. Someone else mentioned this in an earlier post,  but its very true indeed.

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 21, 2016, 08:23:19 PM »
@ Diavle

The thing is they've already said that if you're creative you can probably find some crazy stuff like XIII's. I definately agree that punishing jumps with super canceled anti airs is interesting (but then we'll hear stupid comparisons to ryu's aa dp, FADC, metsu).

@ Shinefist

That Kim combo is one option, but since super cancels are free in this game I'd probably qcb+D (sc) qcb hcf+k, assuming qcb+D juggles in that situation (classically it has). Depending on the situation however, (Using XIII Kim as a base) a different two meter combo may be something like f+B, BC, sD, qcb+BD, [f,f+A qcb+BD] (repeat as many times as you can and still hit SDM) , f,f,+A, qcb hcf+k. If memory serves properly you can only do SDM in Max Mode so that would be a his level 2 super. With corner proximity it may be possible to d_u+D (sc) qcf qcf+k instead of the last f,f+A and continue the combo afterwards. Naturally this is all speculation (but I do have plenty of worries about Kim having braindead rushdown with potential rewards like that).

On advanced cancels, many of the currently playable characters look like their cancelability likely goes one way, this super can cancel into the other but not vice-versa. Much of this is practicality (Leona's v-slasher can probably cancel to slash sabre because she lands but the reverse doesn't seem likely because slash sabre never leaves the ground). Should this be universal? Should Ralf only be able to mount then galactica or should it be he be allowed to use whichever one he pleases then follow with the other?

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 21, 2016, 08:29:27 PM »
@Ottomatic: Clark had this in 13 as well where he was only able to cancel his ex hcf+k into hcbx2+p

I'm not sure if the supercancel is free either.

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 21, 2016, 09:15:12 PM »
Super cancel is free

https://youtu.be/_GE6mP4gjQk

Watch Iori's meter during the combo starting around 1:48 when he cancels rekka's to maiden masher. And the same goes for advanced cancels

https://youtu.be/Z9maPMpMsXo

Iori (again) around 4:09, level 1 cancels to level 2 starting from 5 meter ends up with 2. I don't know if it'll stay in the final build but currently all super cancels are free and have been since at least PSX.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 09:23:43 PM by ottomatic »

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 21, 2016, 09:19:45 PM »
@ottomatic: Well Ryu's aa dp, FADC, metsu is just a ripoff of Terry's aa Power Dunk, break, Buster Wolf from Garou MOTW.

@The Good Loser: Supercancels are free in XIV, you just need 1 power bar in total to do them. Supercanceling into EX DM and Climax DM is also free.

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 21, 2016, 09:26:26 PM »
ah i must have been thinking about advance canceling, unless that is Iori's rush combo?

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 21, 2016, 09:30:54 PM »
@Diavle
On Terry: True dat. lol.

On cancels: Has cancels to Climax been confirmed? I've seen super and advanced cancels, but I've not seen special or super canceling to Climax. Any vid?

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 21, 2016, 09:32:45 PM »
Andy canceled into his Climax DM at PSX:

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 21, 2016, 09:33:53 PM »
Robert did it in the Climax video shown previously. Standard 1 2 motion max mode 1 2 Climax.

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 21, 2016, 09:43:08 PM »
Ok, this changes some things. Gotta go back and revise some of my current theory combos. Thanks

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 21, 2016, 10:03:14 PM »
You can cancel in order of hierarchy, DM, SDM, Climax. These are called advanced cancels.

So i was wondering, In XIII claw iori can do maiden masher into neomax. Can he do something similar in XIV? DM to climax perhaps.

Or even SDM to Climax even.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 10:12:44 PM by shinefist »

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 22, 2016, 12:19:42 AM »
What about canceling dm to sdm version of the same move? Is that or should that be I'm the game? Maiden masher to and maiden masher. Ranbu to ranbu. Etc.

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 22, 2016, 12:25:12 AM »
lol thats taking it too far i think. So we've seen, normal to dm (super cancel), dm to SDM (advanced cancel) and normal to climax. SDM to Climax might not be a thing so far.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 12:29:30 AM by The Good Loser »