Author Topic: KOFXIV Announced for 2016  (Read 343341 times)

Mrkarate23

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: KOFXIV Announced for 2016
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2015, 02:20:19 PM »
Here are two interesting developmental images from the 2nd and 3rd trailer

and

I will also add

Characters portrait are different from the first trailer
More effects added on moves and special
Characters are being reworked compare kyo from the first trailer to now
The plastic look is removed
There are some really noticeable differences happening and thats good to see, it might not be ebough for a lot of people

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2015, 03:50:10 PM »
Andy needs a visual overhaul or a classic outfit, but otherwise his playstyle looks intact. Leona still has that overhead kick that fails to connect and Iori received pink eye after claw cutscene. The excessive speed (~10%) makes the animations appear a bit too choppy.

They did not feature the work in progress disclaimer, which makes me worry...

Otherwise, can't wait for more news!

Micky Kusanagi

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2015, 03:58:19 PM »
Good Loser and Mrkarate: good job pointing out the improvement. Sure, the majority of the people following KOFXIV news will never be satisfied unless the graphics get exactly alike GGXrd or SFV, which is obviously not gonna happen, but then again, why bother? KOF has always had subpar graphics, even in '94: if you compare it with its contemporary Darkstalkers, visuals in the Capcom game are clearly superior, just as CPS2 is superior to MVS as a whole.

So, my rational side is absolutely meh; my mindless KOF fanboy side is more hyped than ever xD I'm really looking forward to see PSX footage from December 5th onwards. Besides, I've thought about the music theme a bit more: it kinda sounds to me like some worldwide fighting sports event theme. Together with the look of the stages revealed so far, this made me think SNKP is still working on making the "media event" side of KOF strong again, something in the works since KOFXII. Nice touch ^^

Does anyone remember this page? Reading the "Make a 3D model of the concept" box, I've always thought they had to pose the models in every single move we see in the XII-XIII sprites. Does anyone know how much work was actually put into those 3D models?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:10:16 PM by Micky Kusanagi »
Ore no...kachi da!!

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2015, 04:17:56 PM »
@Micky: lol  "year and 4 months" for each character, so thats 40 years for all 30 chars in KoF XIII? :o

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2015, 04:22:31 PM »
That is nonsense, Darkstalkers looks worse than World Warrior on the CPS1. KoF '94 on the other hand had to make some compromises to make all of its elements work in some areas. It still surpasses anything at the time under the best of situations.

KoF '94:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/34500000/The-King-of-Fighters-94-the-king-of-fighters-34576247-304-224.png
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/kof/kof94-2.png
http://www.fightersgeneration.com/games/kof94-q.gif
http://www.fightersgeneration.com/np5/gm/k94-s13.png

Darkstalkers:
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/darkstalkers/vampshot6.png
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/darkstalkers/vampshot3.png
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/darkstalkers/vampshot5.png
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/darkstalkers/vampshot4.png

CPS2 was better hardware than MVS in terms of shear specs, but Capcom hardly did anything with it, while SNK pushed their hardware to the limit. Same as PS2 vs GameCube really...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 05:05:20 PM by TrueOrochi »

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2015, 04:35:00 PM »
They did use a lot of shortcuts and left a lot of things out relative to earlier installments.

Hungry Joe/Hwa Jai, Roid Ralf/Roid Clark, Takuma/Mr. Karate, 3 Ashes, 2 Ioris, 2 Kyos, 2 Secretaries, and numerous head/hand/arm/lower body swaps...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:38:53 PM by TrueOrochi »

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2015, 07:26:49 PM »

I would treat "The in-game footage has been taken during development." the same as work in progress. Just don't expect extreme major graphic overhauls to happen with this game and you'll be better off.

Micky Kusanagi

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2015, 10:26:37 PM »
@Micky: lol  "year and 4 months" for each character, so thats 40 years for all 30 chars in KoF XIII? :o
You think there was just a single employee in charge of character design for KOFXII-XIII? LOL xD j/k I don't know what insane criteria they used to calculate the time needed to make a single character. Still, I think there's a hint of truth, otherwise SNKP wouldn't feel the urge to release KOFXII in such an unfinished condition...

I just wish at list a 50%+1 of fighting game players said "yes, these XIII vs XIV comparison videos show us SNKP is working hard to make the XIV game engine as good as XIII", but it looks like all the effort put in these videos is going wasted...is KOFXIV already doomed to sell even less than XIII? I don't hope so, of course.
Ore no...kachi da!!

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2015, 10:30:14 PM »
@Micky, actually this is the first trailer to stay positive (currently around 800 likes and 500 dislikes)

Ps: Could just be that Andy is fabulous tho. Wonder how Beni will turn out.

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2015, 12:40:46 AM »

I would treat "The in-game footage has been taken during development." the same as work in progress. Just don't expect extreme major graphic overhauls to happen with this game and you'll be better off.

I was actually fine with the reveal graphics. It is the character redesigns, sparse stage design, speed, and some stiff/weightless/incomplete animations that concern me.

Arisal

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2015, 12:50:46 AM »
1. Those old barebones polygonal models are useless.

2. Animations cannot be transferred from 2D to 3D smoothly and can only serve as a reference (same as motion capture).

3. The change in art style is clear as day in the modeling and bone structure is different.

*Too little information is available to make an educated guess with respect to the roster and high expectations will leave many disappointed.

Hmph

This plus the leak list means we're getting 48. There is no doubting it. Let's accept the reality.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 12:54:55 AM by Arisal »

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2015, 01:50:14 AM »
That is photoshop... Trailer contained a frame of XIII styled boxes in no particular arrangement.
http://i1.wp.com/shoryuken.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/kofxiv-charselect-trailer.png

It does not mean anything, because no KoF game has lacked a portrait/sprite display for both players unless they were pirated. Leaked list could be the product of a simple brain storm early in development. Wait until real information is available on December 5th.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 01:52:08 AM by TrueOrochi »

Arisal

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2015, 03:00:19 AM »
Whatever you say....

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2015, 05:11:09 AM »
That is nonsense, Darkstalkers looks worse than World Warrior on the CPS1. KoF '94 on the other hand had to make some compromises to make all of its elements work in some areas. It still surpasses anything at the time under the best of situations.

To me 94 is esthetically way beyond most of what capcom did. Kof suffered from bad designs and lack of animation on some characters. On the other hand, kof also had fantastic designs and animations on others and they always had better colours. Just look at those comparison pictures, they are typical for snk and capcom. You will see that characters have way more colour in 94 than darkstalkers. Yes, darkstalkers is brighter or "more colourful" but infact,  on characters, most colours come in only one light and one dark shade will snk actually worked with layers. Also the backgrounds in 94 with the zoom in function and all are so detailed, it's some of their best work imo. Stages in darkstalkers are good aswell so i won't knock them on that.

Now, this is a highly subjective topic and i will add that i find the sf alpha series to be butt ugly because of its designs and the lack of colours on characters that make it all look cheap. I'm sure some people will actually prefer this "anime" look, but i don't.

*Oh yeah, i also wanted to say that Andy ended up looking really skinny.. It looks weird, perhaps because i'm used to his 13 sprite.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 05:29:40 AM by The Fluke »

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2015, 12:01:50 PM »
Is really curious to see the randomness they use to reveal characters. No one expected Andy instead of Terry to portrait FF team, or Chang instead of Kim (if they team up toghether. to me that leak is bullshit). My logic says that next character to be revealed should be Ryo, Mai, Athena or K', but seeing such unlogic reveals, well, who knows.

All these three trailers are considered as PSX teasers. The website itself it's called "tease site", so I wonder if they are just teasing that we will have 5 teams in PSX, or these 5 characters are going to be the very unique characters to test in this very first demo. Also I wonder if after PSX they will start to announce the game more seriously, with an official website with gameplay details, characters/teams, artworks, etc. and maybe some CG trailer.

About Andy, i love his new outfit (he's using ninja boots, finally!) He looks more ninja, I like that. But I feel like his body looks too skinny and his face and hair are totally generic.

I like the graphic improvements I'm seeing trailer after trailer, but still the game won't be appreciatted for its graphics, let's face it. Anyway, I can't wait to see more info coming from PSX, and to see Mai sooner or later.
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature