Author Topic: KOFXIV Announced for 2016  (Read 343366 times)

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: KOFXIV Announced for 2016
« Reply #375 on: February 04, 2016, 12:51:08 AM »
This has been miffing me out for a while now. Doesn't dm = special and sdm = super? I'm quite certain that's how they're listed in both 98umfe and 2k2um on steam. I suppose it's not important but it's just a bit weird with conflicting terminologies.

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 04, 2016, 01:17:29 AM »
normal = punches, kicks, command normals =  ;fd  ;a (enhanced normals) , specials =  ;dn ;df ;fd ;a (fireball), Super = DM etc.  
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:25:38 AM by The Good Loser »

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 04, 2016, 01:43:34 AM »
I don't know when they changed it, but back in the day DM stood for Desperation Move (which was their supers) and in many older SNK games they were only available in low health. If memory serves, a move list would read something like

Throws/Body Tosses ...
Command Normals/Unique Moves ...
Specials ...
DM ...
SDM ...

But yeah I can see that being confusing without prior knowledge of terminology. Especially if the games themselves changed the way they call the move tiers. I think for 2000 they made DM stand for deadly move (and just used that title for specials) and called supers DOA Thrashing so call it what you will. I personally use DM and SDM to differentiate between normal and maxed variations of supers. Not to mention the move lists provided during the PSX showing called supers Desperation Moves. I hope this helps to clear your confusion

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 04, 2016, 02:57:47 AM »
I went through a bunch of my SNK instruction booklets in english and most call DM's and SDM's. Super and Super Special. My opinion is the U.S. is mostly Capcom country so making something that sounds more Capcomish makes better sense.

The only legit translated '00 english copy was the PS2 version that was a '00/'01 combo pack (unless the european version was sold separate). I never bothered to pick it up, but considering the translations for english copies are not word for word in most cases I'm betting Deadly Moves was a translation error especially since I can't find it in any of the ones I have.

I did see KOF Neowave call it DOA Thrashing. Best part was I couldn't find what DOA stood for.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 04, 2016, 03:47:52 AM »
So the terminology is a bit of a mess then. That's fine for me since i'm more fond of just saying supers and specials anyways.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 04, 2016, 09:37:05 AM »
I paid attention to the terminology around '98, so I've always understood it as Supers - Desperation Moves - Super Desperation Moves - etc.

In prior SNK fighters, I can imagine how specials would be called DM. But I'm trying to be better about the terminology per fighter, just remembering commands/specials/supers as the baseline.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 04, 2016, 11:07:46 AM »
Iori advanced cancel into other SDM could be useful in the corner for added pressure on their wake up or maybe it would juggle. It's an expensive metre usage though.

Don't worry ottomatic the answers about kof XIV game system will soon arrive. Hopefully :)

I wonder if they going to introduce more new game mechanics!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:12:51 PM by shinefist »

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 04, 2016, 08:50:52 PM »
@Shinefist: i'm pretty sure they will stick to what is shown, especially since they need to polish the "just defense" system.

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 04, 2016, 10:00:34 PM »
@Shinefist: i'm pretty sure they will stick to what is shown, especially since they need to polish the "just defense" system.

True. In an interview they said they have developed all the characters with all basic moves. Sounds like the game is atleast 60 - 80 percent complete. But the way they give us info it feels like its at about 30 - 40 or something.

Wish I was a fly on the wall inside the kof development room lol
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:05:31 PM by shinefist »

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 04, 2016, 11:22:03 PM »
Balancing just defend seems like a difficult task. I feel that giving extra frame advantage lowers the value of GCAB and GCCD, so that should be out. Doing less guard gauge damage isn't enough. How about less block damage, plus some meter gain upon success? Is that enough incentive to make it worth the risk? Too much? Not enough?

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 04, 2016, 11:52:31 PM »
Ok i got an idea, hear me out. Maybe Just defense should only work in max mode, or this is a stretch, if no meter is available? If you have meter you spend a bar for a GCCD or roll.

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 05, 2016, 12:44:19 PM »
Ok i got an idea, hear me out. Maybe Just defense should only work in max mode, or this is a stretch, if no meter is available? If you have meter you spend a bar for a GCCD or roll.

Sounds good to me. I think you should get back a tiny bit of life also. I say this as you should have more emphasis in Max mode as you cannot do special to special cancels.

Balancing just defend seems like a difficult task. I feel that giving extra frame advantage lowers the value of GCAB and GCCD, so that should be out. Doing less guard gauge damage isn't enough. How about less block damage, plus some meter gain upon success? Is that enough incentive to make it worth the risk? Too much? Not enough?

I agree the frame advantage shouldn't make it in as you explained. Doing no guard damage sounds good, so you could use Max mode so they cannot chip you out.

I still like the idear of just defence cancel but it takes a stock to use. It will make you think about when to use it and the combos will be limited based on you have to use a special, dm, sdm or  climax to get damage. The most you can get is a super cancel.

SNK tell us what your doing with the ******* game...

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 05, 2016, 04:32:00 PM »

That's how it works in the current build of KOFXIV actually, you gain more meter with JD  compared to regular blocking.

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 05, 2016, 10:39:02 PM »
I swear, with all the JD speculation, we should do something like an office pool with each combination of plausible JD outcomes lol. Anyone want their money on Life gain, Meter gain, No guard gauge damage, and Extra frame advantage? Who gets stuck with just Meter gain?

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 05, 2016, 11:06:09 PM »
I'm still in the max mode camp personally